Another Newbie going thru CCL classes

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Vikefantam

Another Newbie going thru CCL classes

Post by Vikefantam »

I'm going to my second CCL class tonite. They split it into 3 classes, which works out better for my work schedule. The class is run by a retired cop. I must say it was a tad confusing, because he'd go over one law, then say how it was changed by the Castle Doctrine. I would have much rather he have just gone over what's legal and what's not, not what used to be legal and what's legal now. It's confusing for a newbie. Guess I'll really have to study the book.

We have our second class tonight with the test and some type of indoor shooting with a laser gun? We still have to bring our own guns and holsters so he can "make sure they're safe" and we're holding them right.

Next week, we go to to the firing range. We shoot anywhere between 3 and 21 feet. It's going to be cold out there. I hope my shivering doesn't throw off my shot. :lol:

ANyway, I am new here and looking forward to getting to know people here. I really enjoyed the mock shoots in Salem last weekend. I'm sure next time I'll participate.

I'm pretty new with my Glock 27, .40 cal, still breaking it in. It's a nice little gun, and .40 is one of the ammo the police recommend. One of my biggest problem is anticipating the fire but I've gotten better with the Glock. However, hand me another gun and I go back to anticipating. Strange. That's not something I did years ago when I was young and dumb. :wink:

Looking foward to getting to know folks here, getting advice/etc.

Take care!

Tammy
Tammy
"Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state." Thomas Jefferson

("Che" referring to Juan Person in the play Evita) "Juan always picks the easy fight. Juan praises fools, Juan smothers light. Juan shifts from left to right. It's politics, the art of the possible."
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Another Newbie going thru CCL classes

Post by Morne »

WELCOME!!!
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
sabalo
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sabalo »

From the Mod Squad
======================================================
The beatings will continue until morale improves !

"It's bowb your buddy week."
Harry Harrison - DEATHWORLD

Let's all remember that 9 Bengals were arrested in a 9 month period !
(Source-ESPN)

Jerk Herder®
tjeffries

Post by tjeffries »

Welcome to the zoo Tammy, that 40 may take a bit of practice to tame down, but once you do, it's a good choice :wink:
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive?"-- Alexander Solzhenitzyn, Gulag Archipelago

To paraphrase George Santayana, those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

http://www.barefootsworld.net/tripwire.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Hi

Welcome ..... Lots of great info here about the laws, read, search and ask questions

Practice practice practice.... have fun!!
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
Vikefantam

Post by Vikefantam »

Thanks to everyone for the welcome! I saw the Steelers helmet logo avatar and have to find me a Vikings one. :D I know one thing - if they ever pull what they did in 1998 - going 15-1 and choking in the championship game, I'm going to take all my Vikings stuff to the range and put a bunch of bullet holes thru it. :wink: (Yes, I'm still sore about that game but it was on my birthday. I've loved this stupid team so long).

Seriously, classes are finished but I had surgery a few days ago, so I'm not allowed to drive yet, therefore cannot go get my pic taken or take my application in. I hope to get that done in the next couple of weeks.

Take care!

Tammy :D
Tammy
"Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state." Thomas Jefferson

("Che" referring to Juan Person in the play Evita) "Juan always picks the easy fight. Juan praises fools, Juan smothers light. Juan shifts from left to right. It's politics, the art of the possible."
McM

Post by McM »

Tell Himself to drive you, or else we'll revoke his OFCC privledges!
Not one of the " 'more-equal animals' ".

Hippies make me laugh. Bleeding hippies make me laugh REALLY HARD! -Morne
farblue

Post by farblue »

McM wrote:Tell Himself to drive you, or else we'll revoke his OFCC privledges!
Hey, I resemble that remark! :wink: (Working the graveyard shift this week, hard for me to get motivated to do much during non-Vampire hours, LOL).
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Robert A. Heinlein
ba1112

Post by ba1112 »

Hi Tammy, welcome. I don't post on the forum much but I do read a lot of the posts. Did you get your license yet? I got my CHL in June 2007 and I'm glad to hear that more women are getting theirs. I shoot a .40 Springfield XD subcompact. It's got some kick to it as well. Relax and concentrate on your breathing while anticipating the shot. I sometimes get the shakes if I hold my position too long before I shoot, and I'm trying to work on that myself. It just takes practice, practice, practice. We got to the range last week and it was sweet to blow out a couple of hundred rounds. Man, I love that! :D
A true testament to one's character is the way they conduct themselves in the face of adversity
doc832

Post by doc832 »

Welcome Tammy or anyone thats "new " to this interesting social group of misfits...lol
BA1112 is my honey, I am so proud of her abilities. She shoots well with her 40 and adapted
to everything else. Self correction and improvement are a life long process.
After all, Gun control is merely hitting what you aim at.
Blessings and thanks for posting.
DOC832
Defense is a human right and a skill the strong maintain. Strength does not come from muscle or size, its a matter of personality. Every Free man should understand why He is free.
Mandova

Post by Mandova »

Vikefantam wrote:I'm going to my second CCL class tonite. They split it into 3 classes, which works out better for my work schedule. The class is run by a retired cop. I must say it was a tad confusing, because he'd go over one law, then say how it was changed by the Castle Doctrine. I would have much rather he have just gone over what's legal and what's not, not what used to be legal and what's legal now. It's confusing for a newbie. Guess I'll really have to study the book.

We have our second class tonight with the test and some type of indoor shooting with a laser gun? We still have to bring our own guns and holsters so he can "make sure they're safe" and we're holding them right.

Next week, we go to to the firing range. We shoot anywhere between 3 and 21 feet. It's going to be cold out there. I hope my shivering doesn't throw off my shot. :lol:

ANyway, I am new here and looking forward to getting to know people here. I really enjoyed the mock shoots in Salem last weekend. I'm sure next time I'll participate.

I'm pretty new with my Glock 27, .40 cal, still breaking it in. It's a nice little gun, and .40 is one of the ammo the police recommend. One of my biggest problem is anticipating the fire but I've gotten better with the Glock. However, hand me another gun and I go back to anticipating. Strange. That's not something I did years ago when I was young and dumb. :wink:

Looking foward to getting to know folks here, getting advice/etc.

Take care!

Tammy
Tammy,
Best wishes on the remaining portions of your class. Ask questions. If you are confussed with what he's telling you, ask him to explain better.

I'll offer something that has really helped me to stop anticipating the kick on the fire. Set your trigger. As you get your sight picture, have the trigger set and ready. From there it's just a smooth little squeeze. Always keep a tight firm grip on the backstrap. Relax......the guns not pointed at you. That's what I tell myself!
Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Hi Tammy!

This is my first post - and I'm going to my first CCW class tomorrow in Dayton. I am also pretty excited and a little nervous. Have wanted to do this for a while.

Gumby :mrgreen:
Gumby

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

@Gumby,

WELCOME!!!
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!