Newbie....just got my CCL

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

srbbear

Newbie....just got my CCL

Post by srbbear »

Haven't had a gun in the house since my first was born 35 years ago, but at the insistance of my kids who live in other areas, I bought me a Bersa .380 and did the CCW classes. Now my big problem is getting over the fear of it. Used to shoot but it has been so long ago!

I guess I need to spend some time at the local range, wish my kids were closer to give me some pointers. LOL, never thought I would say that! Both military though and stationed far away.

Any pointers or ideas to make me more comfortable with it?

My Bersa has alot of safety features, key lock (I dont use cause no kids in home), if the magazine isnt pushed in all the way it wont fire, plus the safety. Just need to get more familiar with handling and issues of everyday carry in the home and outside too.

As of now it is up in my bedroom, magazine out, safety on......not doing me alot of good that way is it? :? Suggestions anyone?
ArcherAce

Re: Newbie....just got my CCL

Post by ArcherAce »

Welcome to the group, srbbear!

Have you gotten a holster yet? Fill us in on your mode of carry. While you're filling in stuff, where abouts ya' located in Ohio? City will do.

To help you get over the initial heebie-beebies, carry around the house, unloaded. Then move to carrying while you do daily errands. Carry with the magazine full so you get use to the weight, not that a Bersa weighs much. :) Once you're comfortable in public with it, load one in the pipe. Try to get to that level ASAP though, as an unload gun is worthless.

The hardest part is getting over the feeling that everyone is looking at the gun gun on your side. Don't worry, people don't pay that close of attention. Many of us here carry full size 1911s under nothing more than a tshirt. I've never been made for carrying as far as I know. Well, maybe I have, but nobodys ever said anything to me about it. :lol:
Last edited by ArcherAce on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

Welcome.

First off, you did not list a location. Where in the state do you live. About how old are you? This helps to determine what type of additional training you may need.

I am not the person to help you. But, there are those on this site that have a lot of training experience and will point you in the right direction.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

WELCOME!!!

Glad to have you along. Really glad you took a CHL class. Depending upon where you are in the state I'm sure someone would be glad to meet you at the local range and give you some pointers. We're a friendly crew. :D
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
tjeffries

Post by tjeffries »

Welcome to the zoo, most of the members here don't bite too hard :lol:

Once we figure out where you're located, nothing real specific, there are many very accommodating individuals here to help you out with your fear of the firearm, even a few estrogen rich posters cages up around here somewhere who could probably use someone to train with :wink:
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive?"-- Alexander Solzhenitzyn, Gulag Archipelago

To paraphrase George Santayana, those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

http://www.barefootsworld.net/tripwire.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Welcome from one of the estrogen-rich members!

It took me quite a while to comfortably ad quickly load and unload my firearm without my husband watching me. I actually told myself the steps out loud until I got them internalized. I generally purse carry, and I cannot tell you how long it was before I got over the idea that everyone knew what I had in there, or that the store's security tag machines would beep, or I'd drop my purse and make things go boom.

I've had my license since April '04, and carry a heavier gun than originally. I can load and unload it in under 20 seconds (I think--I never actually got out a timer.) And I don't even need to think about it anymore. The muscles know what they need to do. The purse feels lighter, and feels odd if the handgun isn't there.

I'm in Wayne County. If you are anywhere nearby, I would be willing to help you. My husband taught me, and he's a patient teacher. He also taught his mother, and she isn't easy to teach!

Only thing now is I am quite pregnant, and not due until October. I can't shoot until the baby is born. (Loud noises, and lead issues) But I can certainly encourage!

Linda
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
srbbear

Post by srbbear »

Awww, thanks everyone! I am in the Akron area, 52 yrs old...I went down and bought an "inside the pants" holster today. Been carrying it around in that, I was very surprised to find I can't really tell its there!

I think I worry that it will go off.....got the safety on....in fact I have the magazine on the first click in, it won't fire unless it is in all the way, lol. (another safety feature). LOL, I don't even have the first round in the barrel! :D .

Of course if anyone broke in I would have to ask them to wait a minute while I pushed the magazine in all the way, cocked the gun, and took the safety off....LOL. :lol: Think they would wait or laugh till they peed their pants??????
BigV

Post by BigV »

srbbear wrote:Awww, thanks everyone! I am in the Akron area, 52 yrs old...I went down and bought an "inside the pants" holster today. Been carrying it around in that, I was very surprised to find I can't really tell its there!

I think I worry that it will go off.....got the safety on....in fact I have the magazine on the first click in, it won't fire unless it is in all the way, lol. (another safety feature). LOL, I don't even have the first round in the barrel! :D .

Of course if anyone broke in I would have to ask them to wait a minute while I pushed the magazine in all the way, cocked the gun, and took the safety off....LOL. :lol: Think they would wait or laugh till they peed their pants??????
I live in Akron (Merriman Valley) and have a membership to Riverside Range in Cuyahoga Falls. I would be more than happy to meet up and shoot any time you have a chance. The more you shoot, the more relaxed you will become.
Let me know.
BigV
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

Welcome,

I am MUCH too far away to help you with this, someone will be able to though, I am sure.

PLEASE learn to carry with the magazine fully seated and a round in the chamber. You are deluding yourself if you don't carry i this manner, and you are more likely to provide an "almost loaded" firearm to an assailant than to have it ready to defend yourself the way you describe carrying it now.

Please get some help on this.

Buckshot
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Buckshot wrote: PLEASE learn to carry with the magazine fully seated and a round in the chamber.

Buckshot
He'll get use to it in no time, Buck. Especially if he hangs out here.
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

ArcherAce,

I think srbbear just might be a she, since the post was in the Women's Issues section.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Buckshot
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Buckshot wrote:ArcherAce,

I think srbbear just might be a she, since the post was in the Women's Issues section.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Buckshot

I missed that. :lol:

Stupid new software. I never look to see which forum the post is in, prints to small.
Scavok

Stop yer whining!

Post by Scavok »

ArcherAce wrote:Stupid new software. I never look to see which forum the post is in, prints to small.
Well, you can always edit the CSS settings to make it whatever you want it to be. :wink:
My sig line violated TOS so now it is gone...
dclaarjr

Post by dclaarjr »

Welcome.

Another idea. You may want to take a basic defensive shooting course. If you use one of the instructors here, I am positive they will make sure you get the time and instruction you need to become more familiar with your Bersa. Once you are more familiar, you will be more comfortable carrying it loaded.
NRA Certified Instructor for Basic Handgun and Personal Protection.
OFCC Member
4 County Conservation Club Member
US Army Veteran
srbbear

Post by srbbear »

Yes, I was definitely thinking of taking another course, the one I took was very basic, just enough to get my license I imagine. Anyone know of any good ones in my area?

Big V, thanks so much for the offer, I might just take you up on it. Give me a little time to get back to you though, got a really hectic schedule coming up but I sure would appreciate someone to share some knowledge and tips.