Hey girls! What are you carrying?

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BredaFallacy

Hey girls! What are you carrying?

Post by BredaFallacy »

Here's mine...

Bersa Thunder .380 with purpleheart wood grips.

"Some women fight and others do not"
- Joan Didion
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Browning compact High Power, 9mm.

Hubby borrows my Mustang .380 for the summer. It's good for ankle carry. He prefers me to carry the 9mm for the extra stopping power. I don't think I have a photo of the Mustang.

Your photos are a lot prettier and more creative!
Last edited by Mustang380gal on Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Mustang380gal,

You've upgraded! Nice. :D
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I think I got the Browning about a year ago. It's heavier, and has a much different trigger, but now that I am used to it, I like it a lot. Also 10 rounds fit, so that's a plus. I don't need to carry as many extra magazines.

It is a nice handgun!
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
ba1112

Post by ba1112 »

Hi Breda, I carry a Springfield XD Subcompact .40. Pictured is my hand next to it so you can see just how compact it is. I like it a lot. Still trying to figure out summer carry. Not as many clothes to conceal this under regardless of its size. Oh also, I sent you an email several weeks ago introducing myself (sent to your gmail addy), not sure if you got it? I'm another Lake County resident, I live in Concord.

A true testament to one's character is the way they conduct themselves in the face of adversity
BredaFallacy

Post by BredaFallacy »

hi ba1112 - I don't think I got your email! I'm so sorry.

I'm having the same problem carrying concealed in the summer. I'm so tempted to just OC.

And I like the looks of your Springfield, but I've never shot a .40! How is the recoil if it's a bigger caliber on such a small gun?
- Joan Didion
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Mustang380gal wrote: Also 10 rounds fit, so that's a plus. I don't need to carry as many extra magazines.
Ya know, Mec Gar makes really nice 15 round magazines for the BHP. I have a couple of them myself. They don't stick out the bottom of the grip at all, feed great, and drop right out when you the mag release.
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Thanks, AA!

I'll need to tell my hubby, who handles all the gun-related purchases. He has catalogs galore!

A little extra insurance never hurt.

Linda
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
ba1112

Post by ba1112 »

Breda, my boyfriend Bob and I emailed you the same day. I jokingly told him that we tagged teamed you. I'll send another.

The recoil on the Springfield... yes it's got some kick to it :) The first firearm I ever shot was his Kimber .45.

Since you and Linda are both on this thread, what I wondered is how do you do on "tap tap" with your firearms? Do you both have speed and accuracy? I've got the accuracy but the speed could be improved, but that is due in part to the recoil on the .40 I've got. I'd like to try something in a 9 MM or .380 to see if I can't improve that.
A true testament to one's character is the way they conduct themselves in the face of adversity
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

ba1112 wrote:Since you and Linda are both on this thread, what I wondered is how do you do on "tap tap" with your firearms? Do you both have speed and accuracy? I've got the accuracy but the speed could be improved, but that is due in part to the recoil on the .40 I've got. I'd like to try something in a 9 MM or .380 to see if I can't improve that.
I am neither Breda nor Linda, but I'll opine anyhow.

Going down in caliber is not the end-all-be-all of reducing recoil. I've got a pistol in 9x18 Makarov (generally considered to be about as powerful as a .380) that has rigid grips and my hand HURTS after just a couple of mags through it. As a result, my accuracy and time-to-double-tap worsens quickly at the range. Conversely, I've got some rubber-gripped revolvers in .357 Magnum that I can do double-taps all day with and be comfy.

Grips matter a TON. More than caliber. More than gun weight. It's gotta fit YOU. Maybe the XD-40SC just isn't right for you. Maybe the grips don't "give" enough. Or frankly, maybe the grips aren't the right size for you.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

I was just posting the same thing, Morne.
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

ba1112,

Regardless of which stance you are using (Weaver or Isosceles), are you using an isometric grip where you push with your strong hand and pull with your weak hand?

Most people, once they master this, have NO PROBLEM with caliber and recoil until the caliber is just physically too much for them.

This may increase your speed on the double tap or tac-tac with some work.

Buckshot
ba1112

Post by ba1112 »

Thanks for the tip on the grips, I'll look into that to be sure the fit is correct. Part of the problem I'm having too is that I don't get enough range time. I haven't been to the range since February, I think. With the cost of ammo, I just don't get there as much as I want to.

My pistol grip is is actually the Todd Jarett method. When I first started shooting, I began watching his videos and followed this method. I'm posting a youtube video (I hope I can do that).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48
BredaFallacy

Post by BredaFallacy »

ba1112 - I did get your email after all! And I even wrote you back - check your email. :wink:
- Joan Didion
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Part of the problem I'm having too is that I don't get enough range time.
Dry fire drills help. Get some snap caps if you're real worried about protecting the firing pin, but you don't really NEED them (I have them to help check mag feeding more than anything).

Dry firing gets you used to not flinching, which is good.

Here's a fun website for some dry fire drills:
http://www.rangemaster.com/

REMEMBER THE 4 RULES, EVEN WHEN DRY FIRING!!!
Thus spoke Zarathustra.