Holsters for Women

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

LeiraHoward

Holsters for Women

Post by LeiraHoward »

The NRA magazine "Woman's Outlook" came out with a nice article this month about holsters for women. I'd recommend getting yourself a copy of the magazine/article if you haven't already.

If I remember later, I'll post a list of the holster manufacturers from the article for everyone's benefit.

*EDIT: I added the link to the article on the NRA website, not sure how long this will stay up, but good to see while you can.*
Last edited by LeiraHoward on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

Yes it was well written, it is a helpful to have the info for the ladies, & I have added several of the makers to my resourse guide
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

I wasn't aware a holster was gender specific. Is it for like purse carry or thigh carry? I was actually considering looking into a thigh holster for summer.
"Moderation in the defense of liberty is no virtue." - Ann Coulter
"Liberalism is part of a religious disorder that demands a belief that life is controllable." - Ann Coulter
By their fruits ye shall know them.
LeiraHoward

Post by LeiraHoward »

dan_sayers wrote:I wasn't aware a holster was gender specific. Is it for like purse carry or thigh carry? I was actually considering looking into a thigh holster for summer.
For regular old waistband carry. Yes, holsters ARE gender-specific... I can draw a picture, even!
(Note, this is a stick-figure diagram and description, and thusly subject to lack of detail...)

Girls have THIS shape:
\ /
/ \

Guys have THIS shape:
| |
| |

Now.... if the holster goes on a MALE hip, no problem... gun ends up parallel to body.
| |
| ||

If the holster goes on a FEMALE hip...

\ /
/ \\

(Apologies as the stick figure image doesn't show the problem enough...)
The grip of the gun tends to dig into the ribs... badly. For short-waisted women, it can be an issue to get the gun OUT of the holster, for women with more curviness, they end up with more gun smashed into the ribs. Other variations in the angles/shapes of women make it extremely difficult... the ones best off are the ones built more like men. It is definitely nice to see some manufacturers REALIZING this and making adjustable holsters to fit women.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

dan_sayers wrote:I wasn't aware a holster was gender specific. Is it for like purse carry or thigh carry? I was actually considering looking into a thigh holster for summer.
You young guys probably aren't aware of this, but women tend to be shaped differently from men (it was one of the high points of my life when I found that out...). :D

As a result, some holsters made for men -- belt holsters in particular -- don't fit women well. The curve of the hip tends to force the muzzle outward and makes the gun butt dig into tender ribs -- ouch! In response some holster manufacturers have begun making belt holsters that have a sort of spacer that allows the gun to ride more comforably on a woman's hips.

Gila May-Hayes, a woman gun-writer has recommended Orca holsters from Magnum Softwear. I have seveal from that company. Unfortunately, I don't find a web presence for them anymore.

** Leira, us old guys tend to be shaped more like this::shock:

/ \
\ /
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

I walked into the shape differences, eh? :oops: Nice stick figures.

I guess it's true what they say: You never really know about a man until you've walked a mile in his hips... or something.

I have a similar problem (sort of). The area above my pelvis is quite soft. As a result, depending on how much my pants are riding (not easy to space a belt with two guns in your waistband), the guns are either concealed nicely into my shape or are unfortunately made to flare outwards towards the top, printing conspicuously more. Usually pulling up the best holds them close once more. Been considering a wider belt to hopefully help control that.
"Moderation in the defense of liberty is no virtue." - Ann Coulter
"Liberalism is part of a religious disorder that demands a belief that life is controllable." - Ann Coulter
By their fruits ye shall know them.
LeiraHoward

Post by LeiraHoward »

tommcnaughton wrote:You young guys probably aren't aware of this, but women tend to be shaped differently from men (it was one of the high points of my life when I found that out...). :D

** Leira, us old guys tend to be shaped more like this::shock:

/ \
\ /
LOL! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

More like this on some of the older guys

( )
/ \ It comes with age. lol
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

This may be of help for some of the ladies on the forum.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/l_ladyback.asp
"I think the public has an expectation that we can make the world a safer place in which to live through laws and technology. "
Steve Rollins 10 year SAR veteran on Mt. Hood
Safety Guy

Post by Safety Guy »

Note: I ain't a female and I have never tried, nor received any personal recommendations for the following leather goods. :)

I've long heard about the "Nancy Special," but I've long forgotten which "Nancy" it was named after. It is the fifth one down on this page:

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/ ... sters.html

Jim Murnak at FIST makes several women's holsters, with input and T&E provided by real live :) women:

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/lady/Default.htm

I've also heard or read that some women have found that certain examples of the various "belly band" rigs work well for them and their lifestyles.

Finally, here is a site from a woman who designed a small knife with help and input from a bunch of us on an old forum:

http://www.hideawayknife.com/main.php

"Frontsight" also has made her own carry rigs for her handguns, including an "under the bra" (UtB) holster. Interested females may wish to contact her for her ideas. Please note her Hideaway site also has various attachments and ideas for concealment of small defensive items. Let's say she has been "properly trained" and "educated" in the areas of self-protection.

I own two of her Hideaways (a Strider in camo and a Yurco I bought used). Hideaways are somewhat expensive, but extremely well made and it is an excellent design for backup or primary defense in certain "nonpermissive environments." The two-finger "capsule" design allows a secure hold with little chance of loss due to disarm attempts, getting thumped, or even losing consciousness for a short time.

Here is her "Rip Redondo" training dummy page:

http://www.hideawayknife.com/model1.php

Always remember that whatever you carry, it has to be part of a "system" to work the best.

Good luck with the holster search, ladies.

Karl
I WANT VERMONT! (OR "ALASKA")
That's FIRST AMENDMENT CRUSADER PIGLET!
LeiraHoward

Post by LeiraHoward »

From the NRA article Companies that make holsters for women:

Alessi Holster, Inc.
Dept. WO
2465 Niagara Falls Blvd.
Amherst, NY 14228
(716) 691-5615
www.alessileather.com

Bianchi International
Dept. WO
27969 Jefferson Ave.
Temecula, CA 92590
(800) 477-8545
www.bianchi-intl.com

Blade-Tech
Dept. WO
2506 – 104th Street Court S.,
Suite A
Lakewood, WA 98499
(253) 581-4347
www.blade-tech.com

C. Rusty Sherrick
Custom Leather Works
Dept. WO
507 Mark Drive
Elizabethtown, PA 17022
(717) 361-7699
www.c-rusty.com

Coronado Leather
Dept. WO
1059 Tierra Del Rey, Ste. C
Chula Vista, CA 91910
(800) 283-9509
www.coronadoleather.com

Cunningham Custom
Leather
Dept. WO
2020 SW 8th Ave-PMB 162
West Lin, OR 97068
(503) 307-0823
www.womensholsters.com

FIST, Inc.
Dept. WO
20 Jay St.
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(800) 443-3478
www.fist-inc.com

Galco International
Dept. WO
2019 West Quail Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85027
(800) 874-2526
www.usgalco.com

Gould and Goodrich
Dept. WO
709 E McNeil St.
Lillington, NC 27546
(800) 277-0732
www.gouldusa.com

Kramer Handgun Leather
Dept. WO
P.O. Box 112154
Tacoma, WA 98411
(800) 510-2666
www.kramerleather.com

Matt Del Fatti
Dept. WO
907 S Main St.
Greenwood, WI 54437
(715) 267-6420
www.delfatti.com

Rosen Extraordinary
Handgun Leather
Dept. WO
300 Bedford St.
Manchester, NH 03101
(603) 647-2971
www.mitchrosen.com
Linda

Post by Linda »

www.kramerleather.com

IWB sheepskin clip. NICE! I've been carrying in this holster for about 6 weeks now. Love it, doesn't add additional bulk, and very comfortable. Great women's holster, but also great for the guys. My husband is going to order one.
"Women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Susan B. Anthony~July 1871