Female Instructors

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Would more women take CHL course if there were more female Instructors?

Prefer Female Instructor
29%
Prefer Male Instructor
4%
Gender does not matter
67%

Total votes: 24

Mad Duck

Female Instructors

Post by Mad Duck »

Would women take the course if there were more female
Instructors?
rouger10

Re: Female Instructors

Post by rouger10 »

Mad Duck wrote:Would women take the course if there were more female
Instructors?
I don't know about the women, but I'll bet that the guys would :lol:
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I had a male instructor, and most of the people in my CCW class were men. I was somewhat intimidated by the men, mostly because I assumed they knew more than me going into the class.

A class with women might have been more fun, but since fun was not the objective, my mostly men class was fine.

Linda
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

John;
I asked my wife for her opinion and she voted that gender didn't matter to her. Other women might be intimidated though.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

A husband and wife taught my class together. I borrowed their 12 year-old's Glock for some of the shooting, and their kids joined us for the range portion. I think it gave a pretty balanced perspective. BTW, there were no women in my class. We did have a novice shooter that was VERY uncomfortable around guns, though, also had reading difficulties. I think the female instructor dealt with that situation quite well, whereas a male instructor might have handled things differently.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Mrs. NavyChief opines gender doesn't matter - just a matter of getting off her duff and doing it. Cast a vote accordingly...
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
CurtInOhio

Post by CurtInOhio »

I think the answer that's missing is, "Gender doesn't matter, as long as it's not my husband"

Not bashing at all, but I notice my wife receives instruction better from someone other than me at times.
Curt M
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

Curt InOhio
Exactly what my wife said.
I was an instructor for new drivers in the trucking company.
Wife refuses to drive as long as I am in the pickup and goes nuts when I am driving.
But IF it is a Female instructor ? HELL I'll ebven take my course all ovewr again whether I need it or not. AAAOOOOO!!! huhbba hubba!! lol
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

I thinik this whole thing is kind of overdone.

We have an instructor team at the club that has a woman on it. She is usually surrounded by guys, and one of the male instructors is usually working with the women.

They hasd a Women On Target event at the club, closed the whole club to the normal membership so the women would not feel intimidated.

Then, only having one woman instructor, had to get men in to help with the pistol and rifle ranges anyway, as well as men to run and teach on the trap range!

Total waste of time! Never had shooters on the pistol range and rifle range at the same time, usually lost all when trap range opened.

Proposed changes, pistol/smallbore range and trap range for women only on Women on Target day, rental range and rifle range open for regular member use those days.

Have not seen any "intimidated" women yet.

Buckshot
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

My CHL class had a male instructor (full time LEO), a female instructor (experienced educator), and a delightful blonde gal who was a very able assistant (and also had a CHL).

I don't think the men in the class (I forget the mix, but of about 40 of us, at least ten were women) were intimidated by the gals running the show, and I'm sure the women didn't mind.

Having a woman up there teaching had to be a plus for the gals, though. Guns & shooting have always been somewhat male-oriented, and I'm sure it helped.

Men, IMHO, are used to female educators from our school days, and as long as it isn't "health" :D , probably wouldn't care about anything but relative competence. It helps when the females are good looking, but I don't think that's a necessity.

(OTOH, there was this Senior English teacher at my High School who was about 5' and fresh out of College.... Married, though, but one could dream....)

(By the time I was a Senior we had about ten gals who weren't at least 200 years old, and three or four worth looking at. Killed the dropout rate....)

Short answer, I guess, is that as long as the female instructors aren't a distraction, there's no problem, and the female students may find it useful.

The aforementioned blonde, btw, didn't dress for distraction. She could have....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
jstevens

Post by jstevens »

charles1198 wrote:I borrowed their 12 year-old's Glock for some of the shooting, and their kids joined us for the range portion.
... Nice!
MR D

Post by MR D »

my wife said that gender did not matter.....8)

btw I taight her how to drive a bus (and a stick shift in my old '57 Chevie SW.... :shock:
"I'd rather be tried by a jury of my peers, than carried by six of my friends..."
LeiraHoward

Post by LeiraHoward »

I'd say that as a definite NON-intimidated female, it still can be a bit unsettling to be the only female in a "good ol boys club"... but generally only if those same "good ol boys" make it difficult. (I grew up with guns and shooting and shooters, and have experienced this complete "female=idiot" mentality just once... that was plenty!)

As far as a CCW type class- I would say that a female *should* be able to give a few more pointers on how another female might be able to carry a bit better than a guy... because (lets face it)... guys and gals aren't built the same, and concealment is completely different for the body types. :D

In actual practice- I took my CCW class and found that my instructors (one male, one female) did not have CCW permits themselves (they said they were "protesting" the stupidity of the new Ohio laws) and I would never take a class with them again- the female was okay, but the male was a bit too unsafe with guns (sweeping the audience with his barrel... though the gun *was* unloaded... still BAD safety practice) and when I called him on it (privately, at the first break) said that, quote, "if I couldn't handle looking down the barrel of a gun, I had no business in his class," unquote. GRRRRR!!!! (Though he was more careful not to point the gun at me after that...) Also he told some things in the "law" section that I am pretty sure aren't true (he said women could never purse-carry in Ohio, as it had to be "on-body" to be legal, among other things).

I was very disappointed that the woman couldn't and didn't offer any good advice on what sort of holsters worked best for women, etc. There were 7 of us in the class- two women and 5 men, plus the instructors- and when I asked the woman instructor for any tips, I found that neither of them had a permit and would not give any suggestions on how to carry. :(

On the other hand, the range time was good, safe, and informative, and I now have the paper that allows me to get a permit...

I guess the point of that all is that choosing a good instructor is more important than if they are male or female, and that the only thing I would want from a female instructor that would be different from a male is a few tips on the best ways to carry concealed, holsters that worked for her and other women who carry that she knows, etc.

(I found the www.corneredcat.com site to be EXTREMELY helpful in that regard, thanks to whoever posted that link!)
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Leira -
Please let us know who (and when) you took that class from. If you'd rather not say publicly, please shoot me (or one of the other Mod's or Admin's) a PM.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

Yeah if you could send me that info also