WHAT HANDGUN DO YOU SUGGEST?

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Mustang380gal wrote: I shoot better with a heavy gun. The recoil is hard for me to control on a lighter gun. For a long time, I wanted to use the Detonics because it gave me the tightest shot grouping. I used it for my CC class. I was going to use the .45 Webley revolver, but a bullet got stuck in the barrel the first shot.

I would find a revolver harder to conceal, because of the width of the rounded middle. It would bulge in my purse, and carrying spare moon clips would be difficult--falling to the bottom of the cavern and all. Carried where it would be easy to get, they would bulge out the side. For me, anyway, it would also be slower to reload. Semi-autos are easy, pop the mag out with your thumb, put in a new mag, and hit slide release. No lining up the bullets to get them to fit in the holes. Even with speed loaders, I am not that fast. And the narrow mag makes it easy to put in my purse's side zipper.

My husband bought my guns without me trying them. He knew what I like/don't like from shooting with him, and for me they turned out to be good choices. Browning has become my primary. It took a while for me to give up the .380, because Browning seemed so much heavier and bigger. But now it is becoming second nature.
Excellent analysis! Thank you.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Linda:

It's called a "slide stop" or "slide release". Correctly, you shouldn't use it, but if it works, I'll shut up....

Did we teach you about "scissoring" to work the slide on the Detonics and other heavily sprung 1911's? Seems to be better for smaller people, and, while it takes two hands, it's a good way to go when you're stuck with it, or need to get the slide back.

Essentially, you hold the slide in your weak hand, and the grip frame in your strong hand. Then push 'em together.... This seems to help most people. Point the BARREL downrange when doing this - that part's a little counterintuitive 'cause you have to turn 90 degrees to the right or left first.

It's kind of a miracle that your husband's choices worked for you like that, but not impossible. The "YOU TRY IT" advice is probably better for most people. If I could get my wife to carry, I probably could pull something out of "inventory" for her :D.... But then she' want one of those PPK/S's with the scrollwork decorations....

Revolvers, btw, conceal fine IWB or even OWB, although the cylinder bulk can be a problem anyway. Speedloaders or even the "strip" type speedloaders seem to me to be a little more difficult to use in a panic situation, even with a lot of practice. Particularly the strips....

Everybody shoots better with a heavy gun, so long as it doesn't get too heavy to hold out in front of oneself. (Webley revolvers should come with tripods....)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Psouper

Post by Psouper »

I'm carrying a S&W .38 revolver. I grew up playing cowboys with cap guns and it just seems familiar and comfortable to me.
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

I would find a revolver harder to conceal, because of the width of the rounded middle. It would bulge in my purse, and carrying spare moon clips would be difficult--falling to the bottom of the cavern and all. Carried where it would be easy to get, they would bulge out the side.
Which reminds me of something I just saw on the telly.

There are special purses designed for CCW. The gun should not be placed inside the purse along with wallet, cell phone, keys etc.

It would stand to reason, same with ammo.

If anyone wants to carry in a bag, find one that's going to give you the performance/functionality you want.

*Disclaimer* I have never carried CCW in any type of purse, man purse, satchel, back pack or brief case :!:

WORD 8)
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BigV

Post by BigV »

*Disclaimer* I have never carried CCW in any type of purse, man purse, satchel, back pack or brief case :!:

WORD 8)
:shock: :shock: :shock:
BigV
Fyresq

Post by Fyresq »

My girlfriend had the same problem with racking the slide. It's really a matter or technique as much as strength. Have her hold the gun in close to her body with her weak hand over the slide, then instead of pulling the slide back, push the frame forward. Watch out for sharp edges on the rear sight when she releases the slide.

If the gun has an external hammer, have her thumb cock it first. This will help tremendously because she no longer has to overcome the hammer spring.
NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol

http://www.ohiovalleyfirearmstraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

instead of pulling the slide back, push the frame forward.
Yup.....great advise.

I've seen a couple scenarios in a particular gun shop where this advice wasn't given.

Likely cost a couple sales and a couple people from owning a great handgun.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

My purse is a CC purse, with a special zipper and holster between two compartments that hold my other gear. The zipper locks. And there are side zippered compartments that make accessing spare mags easy. Anything much wider than a Browning mag would bulge.

I can rack the slide instead of using the slide release. That's usually what I do, but hubby told me either is acceptable.

The Webley I was going to use is a short barrel, supposed to be from the Royal Irish Constabulary. We have a few Webleys with really long barrels. Elegant looking revolvers, but Webley semi autos are downright ugly.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

My wife lacked the grip strength to keep a hold of the slide. Sometime she was successful, but sometime she slipped and the rear sight raked across her palm. She went with a revolver.