LADIES ONLY: What do you carry your handgun in?

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ladies Only! What do you use to carry your handgun in for concealed carry?

Inside Waist Band Holster
31%
Outside Waist Band Strong Side
31%
Small of the Back
No votes
Cross Draw
No votes
Shoulder Holster
No votes
Ordinary Purse (without shoulder straps)
6%
Ordinary Purse (with shoulder straps)
25%
Purse designed for CCW (without shoulder straps)
No votes
Purse designed for CCW (with shoulder straps)
6%

Total votes: 16

High Power

LADIES ONLY: What do you carry your handgun in?

Post by High Power »

Due to the recent spate of mall and church shootings, my wife has decided to start carrying her revolver. It’s an S&W J-Frame model 317. When she get’s comfortable with it, I would like to encourage her to carry a J-frame in .32 H&R magnum or .38 Special. For now, just skip the comments about why she needs to carry something with a larger caliber. I got the .22 caliber for her to practice with and it’s better than nothing at all. Besides, it holds 8 rounds. The CCI stinger is nothing to sneeze at. So for now, please withhold the comments about using a larger caliber.

BTW, she does have her CHL.

Right now she is carrying it in a purse. What I would like to know is what the ladies are using to carry their handguns. So, ladies, please help me out as I want to get a new holster or purse for her for Christmas.

In addition, please don’t try to educate me on the types of holsters. I’ve carried all sorts of guns all of my adult life in all manner of holsters and cases. The purpose of this message is to get the ladies’ perspective. I don’t want to know what a guy thinks. I want to know what a woman thinks. We are shaped differently than women. We dress differently than women (well, most of us). Husbands and boyfriends; you can tell me what your significant other carries her handgun in (but don’t tell me what you use.)

So ladies, how often is it that a man wants to know what you think? What do you carry your handgun in?

PS: If you use an outside waist band holster, please tell me what type, ie., high or low ride, behind the hip or appendix. There are so many types that I am limited on the options for the poll.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I usually wear skirts, most of which don't have wide enough belt loops to hold anything but a fashion belt. If I carry my Mustang, I can use in IWB, clipped to the skirt waistband itself. My Browning is just too heavy (it's compact, but carries 10 rounds of 9mm.) It flops the waistband outward, so that the grip is almost perpendicular to the floor. So I have to use a purse for it.

Hubby bought me a holster purse with a zipper and lock about a year ago, and got me a second purse with the holster part held closed with velcro. I don't like the velcro one, as it is darn noisy trying to get the gun out.

The in the waistband holster is not very expensive, and the muzzle is slightly exposed. If I am driving with it, it can pinch the skin on my hip. So I don't carry much that way.

I should tell you that I got a purse with a long enough strap that I carry it bandolier-style, up and over my neck. It can't easily be snatched that way. I am really careful if I take it off to eat at a restaurant that my purse is right between my feet. The other thing I don't like about the velcro one is it is two straps, and I can't put it over my neck.

I haven't tried an outside waistband holster. I don't wear sweaters or blazers that would cover it, and I am not sure if I could keep the waistband from rolling under the weight. Also, I am usually out with several of my children, most of whom know I carry. Not all of them are reliable not to tell everyone in the store Mom has a gun. An OWB would be too obvious for them.

I am not entirely happy with purse carry, but I haven't been able to find anything else that seems to work as well. I'd prefer to have my gun directly on my body, but short of buying men's clothes so I can use a heavy enough belt to support the weight, I think my options are limited. (I have thought about Smart Carry holsters, but haven't been able to cough up the $50 for an experiment. I don't know how easy it would be to reholster if I take my gun out to go into the YMCA or something. )

I had been carrying the Mustang almost exclusively since I got my license, but hubby wants me to carry the 9mm. So Mr. Browning and I are getting to be quite friendly the last 3 months or so. It is noticeably heavier than the .380, but after a week or so, I got used to the extra weight.

Hope this helps.

Linda
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
High Power

Post by High Power »

Thanks for the information Linda. I got my wife an Uncle Mike’s shoulder holster that is made for J-frame revolvers. She tried it on today and I help to adjust it. She seems to like it but wearing the shoulder holster also depends on what other clothing she is wearing and the weather. It’s too easy for someone else to detect a handgun if you are going to get hugged.

What brand holster-purse did you get that you use the strap bandoleer style? My wife has a regular purse like that but it doesn’t do a real good job as far as carrying a gun. I thought about getting her this purse: http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?Pr ... alogID=394
However, it lacks the advantage of placing a strap over the opposite shoulder.

This one by Galco is out of stock: http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?Pr ... alogID=394
But if I could find a retailer that has it, I might explore that option more. However, I don’t know if the strap on this model could be used over the opposite shoulder either.
sabalo
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sabalo »

High Power,

Coronado Leather makes several purses with concealed holsters built in. My best friend's wife has one to carry her Beretta in and loves it. They are pricey, but worth it, based on her testimonial.

http://www.coronadoleather.com/browse.aspx?c=2&n=393752
======================================================
The beatings will continue until morale improves !

"It's bowb your buddy week."
Harry Harrison - DEATHWORLD

Let's all remember that 9 Bengals were arrested in a 9 month period !
(Source-ESPN)

Jerk Herder®
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

Linda,

If you have a good leather worker near you, or an Amish or other harness maker, try having them make you a thick but narrow belt that would work with most of your skirts but still give enough support to anchor your IWB holster or maybe a paddle holster if you can find one you like.

Buckshot
Sevesteen

Post by Sevesteen »

Most of the time when my wife carries it is a P3AT in the MP3 player pocket of her "purse" (closer to a single-strap backpack). When she does carry her XDsc, it is in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB--I don't know if that is ideal for her, but it works reasonably well, and she doesn't care to experiment to find something better.

If you haven't already, check out http://corneredcat.com/ . Written by a woman, lots of good information on carry in general and with the needs of a woman.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I looked into Coronado, but didn't find one that the dimensions would have worked with my carry guns and still keep it bandolier style. They were very big, and I don't usually carry much, so I don't need a big purse. Also I was carrying a baby around at the time, and really didn't want a big purse. (New Albany has a range/store that carries Coronado, but I haven't been there. If I hadn't gotten the one I did, we would have gone to New Albabny.)

I can't find the make on my purse, but I do know that I got it in Youngstown near Raccoon Rd. SMMA (Stu from here) gave me directions to the place, which is a police supply store. It was about half the price of a Coronado, and they had a nice variey of styles. I was told by a Coronado dealer the quality wasn't good, and it wouldn't last a year but I don't see any problem with it. It's a year old, and doesn't look much different than when I bought it.

Linda
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
High Power

Post by High Power »

Mustang380gal wrote:New Albany has a range/store that carries Coronado, but I haven't been there. If I hadn't gotten the one I did, we would have gone to New Albabny.
What is the name of the store in New Albany? I don't live to far from there. With the price of gas it's probably worth the difference in the cost of the purse to look for one in New Albany, which is closer to me.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

My wife carries her J frame in a fanny pack.

Not enough room (with all the other junk) in her purse.

Actually, her gun in the the safe except for when we are camping.

Ken
The more law-abiding people that have guns, the better off we are," Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said. "Because the bad guys always have guns, You look at these school shootings or church shootings, the ones that have been stopped, it was because someone there had a gun."
ccmama

Re: LADIES ONLY: What do you carry your handgun in?

Post by ccmama »

I carry an SR-9 with 16 rounds in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I am not a big person: 5'9 130 pounds. Size 7. This holster is the most comfortable ever. I sit in an office all day and I honestly forget I have it on. I do dress around the gun, and nobody knows I carry. Not a small feat for a large gun. This holster makes the gun just wrap around your body. I especially like no pressure points at all. It is also very adjustable with the cant and height. For women I suggest it to be set so the gun sits low with a FBI cant. Easily done with a small screwdriver. Very nice, the butt of the gun tilts under the ribs.
High Power

Post by High Power »

ccmama wrote:I carry an SR-9 with 16 rounds in a Crossbreed Supertuck.

Do you have a web site or any other contact information on this holster?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
tjeffries

Post by tjeffries »

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive?"-- Alexander Solzhenitzyn, Gulag Archipelago

To paraphrase George Santayana, those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

http://www.barefootsworld.net/tripwire.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pat

Post by Pat »

I carry my Glock 26 in a new designer handbag constructed for conceal carry available at mcgills.com or philipclements.com Also have shoulder harness, but not always possible. More usable in winter.
ccmama

Post by ccmama »

If you do order a Crosstuck- asked for the 10% NRA member discount. (if you're a member). I know $80 is a lot for a holster when things aren't so great in this country, but I also think it gives me even more reason to carry daily. I put my crosstuck on at 6:30am and usually don't take it off until I go to bed. Yes, it is that comfortable. One trick that I learned is to wear a "wifebeater" (hate that name) or a long tank top under any holster I have very sensitive skin. Redhaired and feckles! I bought my tanks at Fashion Bug. Get the one marked "LONG" so they go down to your pelvis. Make sure the tanks are of a stretchy material so it clings to you and doesn't add bulk. I promise you, if you spent the first day wearing the supertuck and give it a couple hours to see how you can adjust it to your body- you will never go back.

My husband tested my draw from deep concealment with the crosstuck at 3:30 behind strong hip. He couldn't get near me before I was able to draw and hit COM.
I can't say enough good things about this company. Also- there is a lifetime warranty. What more could a person ask for?
Mandova

Post by Mandova »

I'm still thinking how I will conceal my carry piece. The holster on the hip thing will be fine for winter, but come warmer weather we'll see. I am kinda small too, so inside the pant holsters are probably going to be the best way for me.

I looked at the crosstuck holsters from the posted website link. Now are those much different feeling than an inside pant pocket holster (other than the material they are made from)?