Seems women just do it!

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MVranger

Post by MVranger »

Linda,

I was surprised at the reations I received from a few friends and co-workers. All were excited for me although they would never get their license or carry a gun. My best friend was extremely supportive and said she is glad that I carry - she feels safer when we are out together.

I don't carry as often as I probably should, but with so many obstacles (no gun signs, etc.), it makes it impractical unless I am going one place and then back home or know exactly where I am going and know they will allow me to carry. I also can't carry to work because I work in a school system. That sucks! All I keep thinking about is the Columbine school shootings and what would have happened if just one of those teachers or staff was armed.

My 13 year old daughter was a little freaked out at the whole gun issue until her dad and I explained that now the "good people" are armed instead of just the "bad guys". Now she is used to the whole idea and doesn't even bat an eye when I put on my shoulder holster or my fanny pack.

When people are educated properly, most don't have a problem with CCW. It is when they are un-educated or mis-educated that the problems arise.

Ok. I'm off my soap box now.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Hi MV, Wow, another female finally pops up! :o

My sons have grown up around guns, so I don't think it was a big deal to them when we started carrying. My biggest issue with the kids is when they jump out of the car in a parking lot, before Mom gets a chance to readjust things!

How long ago did you get your license to carry? It kinda sounds like your not quite comfortable when you leave the house with it yet. It took me a while to find my comfort level, but now I carry probably 95% of the time. I feel naked if I don't have it with me now.

I truly have not found that many obstacles when I carry. Obviously, the whole school thing is a BIG issue. Especially when we were being spanked in our school district and they took away high school bussing. Quite often I was coming from somewhere else, and carrying, to pick up my son. Sidetrip to the house first....,what a hassle. There are a (very) few places that post, but guess what...,they don't get or deserve my business. Rite Rug will not get the priviledge of selling me carpet for my new house. I'm still ticked at Best Buy for their momentary lapse of judgement, so they're being spanked right now. But otherwise there aren't many places that I can't go.

The people you mention that would never get their's or carry a gun, here's my opinion on that. Not everyone is cracked up to it. It can't be forced on someone. From reading all the posts on this forum, sounds like a lot of the men "want" their wife to get her CCW. This is not something that can be forced on someone. You either want to or you don't. And, if you're not willing to shoot someone, you don't have any business carrying a gun, because the bad guys gonna end up shooting you with your own gun! :evil:

OK, time for me to get off my soup box. Welcome fellow female!
"Women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Susan B. Anthony~July 1871