Forearm Strengthening Suggestions

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

sts47:

Ron (JRONJAKOH) just picked up a second-hand Llama .40. It's a Commander clone (Officer's length frame, though), but seems to have Kimber's external extractor and Swartz safety.

The mainspring may be a little light or the firing pin is too short - we had some ignition failures the other night - but overall it's solid and shoots more or less where I point it. (Ron did quite well with it too!)

If he brings it out Wednesday night, we'll try to swap the mainspring.

IAC, the only real problem with Llama may be in that they're not around anymore if you have a service issue.

Some of those low-end Springers seem like good values. I don't know about service issues though. Para and Kimber have excellent service, but I'd be very afraid to buy a Series II Kimber for carry.

(Well made and all that, but the Swartz safety upsets me. Ron's Llama's got one but it seems to have been done better. I've been "inside" both maker's guns....)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
sts47

Post by sts47 »

Since we're on a 1911 kick, i've looked up Firestorm. and on their page it actually shows a LLAMA pistol. Did they get bought out by Bersa/Firestorm?

here's the link to the manual with a close-up

http://www.firestorm-sgs.com/images/FIR ... manual.pdf

i've had great luck with Bersa 380 for carry. and if They are now making the Llama Max then parts availability won't be an issue

Actually my wife likes the more modded 1911 - easier to operate the controls . And she only likes the full size ones.

I've been trying to find a dealer for Shooters brand 1911 since they have a nice model called Commodore that shouldn't be too expensive since their Elite model goes for 299 on GunsAmerica

Commodore model below

just can't find a dealer, and don't feel like calling the Philippines.

They even have a double stack version with 13 rd mags

The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.
The pen might not be mightier than the sword, but maybe the printing press was heavier than the siege weapon. Just a few words can change everything.
Sometimes, the best answer is a more interesting question.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

sts47:

I think Bersa did buy Llama. I'm not sure....

That heavily loaded Taurus may be a good way to go, but plan on having a smith clean it up a bit, just in case.

(Seems like everybody's that way these days.)

Another source might be a pawn shop that's got a decent reputation. Definitely a "what the heck is that?" possibility, but you never know. IAC, this gang can help on "what is it?" stuff, and what to look for. That's where we found that M39. I met my buddy down there and they let me strip the gun and check it out. Dirty, but that was the worst of it. I would have bought it myself.... You don't always get that lucky, but you never know.

I prefer to deal with a "full service" source - "my" local gun shop rarely has any used guns, but they've got a gunsmith who's there regularly if it's not hunting season, and all the "extras" you might want. (They're usually out of reloads from mid-December to mid-January. I don't know whether it's going to disgruntled Postal workers or the owner is just playing end-of-year magic with inventory.) There motto is "if you don't see what you want, ask. It's probably around here someplace."

(The Pawn Shop, OTOH, didn't even have the "lead only" reloads we needed to shoot the thing at my club's range. Fortunately, I did....)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
ParaC7

Post by ParaC7 »

There is a product out there for climbers called the "Gripmaster" i got one awhile back to fine tune trigger control when i was shooting competition in the army, i got one for my wife, and it greatly helped to improve her control.
Gun Control means using both hands and hitting your target.

You want my guns Hillary???? SURE you can have them..................Bullets First!!!

Charlton Heston always was and always will be MY President!!!!
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

What is the SAM 1911?

Buckshot