Forearm Strengthening Suggestions

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MrsSts47

Forearm Strengthening Suggestions

Post by MrsSts47 »

Howdy! I am new. I don't have my CHL (yet- classes are pricey where I live), but I have been practicing, mostly with a Colt .38 revolver, uh, snubby?

After about 15 minutes of practicing, my arms, wrists, and shoulders start to ache, and my hands will start shaking in short order.

I could change guns, I suppose, but I prefer to be stubborn. Any suggestions for increasing arm strength?

Thanks!
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

MrsSts47:

If a Colt snubby .38 is too heavy, you're in trouble....

While that may not be the lightest handgun you can get involved with, the combination of the recoil and the gun's weight may be a killer....

You probably should just practice more :) .... Hand weights (while just walking), finger exercisers, etc.... It really doesn't take much.

Practice with light target loads for now - that'll help you with the recoil aspects. .38Spl wadcutters can be pretty gentle, or if you've got a friend who handloads, some even lighter stuff may be possible.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Get one of those hand exercisers. Looks like a spring with handles.

Do a lot of dry firing.
tjeffries

Post by tjeffries »

Also easy to do on the cheap. Take a round bar (broom handle cut off) tie a rope in the middle and hang a weight on the other end, anything will do. With your arms extended, wind it up and down and repeat as necessary. It's much harder than it appears, and it works well.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive?"-- Alexander Solzhenitzyn, Gulag Archipelago

To paraphrase George Santayana, those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

http://www.barefootsworld.net/tripwire.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrsSts47

Post by MrsSts47 »

If a Colt snubby .38 is too heavy, you're in trouble....
No, I promise, the weight isn't the problem, it is the recoil. I can get through about 50 rounds, and then I am done. :oops:
With your arms extended, wind it up and down and repeat as necessary.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

MrsSts47,

They are expensive to buy, so see if you can find a commercial reloader near you, or someone that can load some light target wadcutters for you to practice with.

I have a feeling someone has been selling you +P ammo to practice with, which you should be working up to instead of starting with.

Even the Winchster White Box standard velocity 137 Gr. jacketed round nose ammo from Wal-mart would be better to practice with than +P ammo.

Check your ammo boxes and see what you have been working with. If it doesn't make sense, post what it says on an end flap here and someone will figure it out.

Buckshot
MrsSts47

Post by MrsSts47 »

Check your ammo boxes and see what you have been working with.
Actually, Mr. sts47 has been reloading, and that is what I have been using. Let me try to flag him down and get him to describe what he does. I know he tried "lighter loads," which were great for less recoil, but the powder charge was so low that sometimes the bullets got stuck in the chamber, or dropped on the ground three feet from where I was standing.

I prefer a lot of recoil, though. It has taught me to be more comfortable with different guns, and it helps me get past my fear of loud noises. :)
Psouper

Post by Psouper »

I am shooting a .38 too and I know what you mean. The recoil makes a sore spot on one of my hand bones.

I console myself by knowing that in a self defense situation, I"m probably not going to be shooting 50 rounds.
sts47

Post by sts47 »

Yes some of the lighter loads were very weak (about the force of a .22) - 3gr universal clays behind a 100gr round nose.

Because there was so much more room in the cartridge where there wasn't gun powder, ignition was a bit erratic. Though none of the bullets stuck in the barrel, a couple could clearly be seen going downrange!

In one funny episode, we clearly seen the bullet leave the barrel, fly toward our target, dent the paper, and BOUNCE off the cardboard backing.... after 3-4 of such light loads, i redid the rest.

Was a great starter for my wife though, training on accuracy, safety, trigger control, etc. with the speed and force of a .22CB

I moved up to about 4.6gr and ignition problems went away, and we continued that for another 300 rounds.

Lately though, I moved up to standard type loads using 125gr round nose with 5.4 gr powder. That fairly matched the WWB target ammo for accuracy and power.

My wife told me to leave it alone at this level since the ammunition is accurate and reliable.

I could always go back down for range ammo, but the JHP ammo when we are at home is loaded to full strength.

I do +P loads for my SW642 with 158gr bullets and 5.4gr powder, but for Mrs sts47, i keep it out of the +P levels since her revolver was not designed for that - it is a wonderful vintage 60s Colt Detective Special with the factory hammer hood. She likes it much more than any other firearm that we have. Image
The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.
The pen might not be mightier than the sword, but maybe the printing press was heavier than the siege weapon. Just a few words can change everything.
Sometimes, the best answer is a more interesting question.
Sky Pilot

Post by Sky Pilot »

Very nice looking! I do like the hammer shroud!
Every strengthening exercise that's come to mind has already been described so instead let me observe that using unfamiliar muscle groups, or muscles in a new combination, will always provide some aches and pains. Persist, and it should pass.
Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

sts47 and Mrssts47,

I was thinking more along the lines of the classic target wadcutter.

141 - 148 gr. wadcutter, either solid base or hollow base, over 2.7 - 2.8 gr. Bullseye (just looked that up on the Alliant website) or more as shown in some other manuals.

The revolver's sights should be pretty well on with this load also, the 148 gr. LWC target load tends to hit closely with the 158 gr RNL Std. Vel. load the revolver was probably sighted in for.

You won't have trouble with these small amounts of Bullseye, it is VERY easy to light with a standard SP primer.

Using the LWC for practice automatically codes your ammo. You fire 100 - 200 flatnose for practice then go to 25 - 50 of the JHPs and then load with the duty ammo after cleaning.

Buckshot
sts47

Post by sts47 »

I've been waiting to use up the Universal powder before I went on to the Bullseye.

I've got some 138gr DEWC projectiles that i've used in my 357,
i've literally have at least 500 rounds i made up for my wife. in the 125gr flavor.

Just yesterday, out at the range, she tried a 1911, loved it!

So soon, i'll be making up 45 cal ammo.. once i get a 1911 that is.

Anyone have a cheap one they want to move? Something like RIA or Shooters?
The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.
The pen might not be mightier than the sword, but maybe the printing press was heavier than the siege weapon. Just a few words can change everything.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

sts47:

When I took my daughter to the range for the first time, I had a .22 semi (S&W M22A) for her to "learn" on. She got bored with it, and demanded my old M39. Then she wanted my old Commander. When things settled out, she liked my M19 and the M39 the best.

M39's are "out there" right now, again. Pullouts from some PD or other. I helped a friend buy one a few months ago - a little holster wear, and a good cleaning later required. Good shooter.... The M39 is a bit huge for Concealed Carry (sort of a 9mm Commander, but the innards are more like the PPK/S), but it's a great training gun, and a fine house gun, too.

NIB Springfield's (I forget what they call it - "GI"?) are around for about $500. Pretty bare-boned, but they should shoot well. The folks at Taurus have a loaded 1911 clone (with some interesting extras) that may be pretty good too, but plan on having to clean it up a bit.

Or tell her to buy her own :) .

I can't get my wife to come out to the range. She's done it a couple times since we got married (nearly 32 years ago), but just isn't impressed. Someday....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

sts47 wrote:I've been waiting to use up the Universal powder before I went on to the Bullseye.

I've got some 138gr DEWC projectiles that i've used in my 357,
i've literally have at least 500 rounds i made up for my wife. in the 125gr flavor.

Just yesterday, out at the range, she tried a 1911, loved it!

So soon, i'll be making up 45 cal ammo.. once i get a 1911 that is.

Anyone have a cheap one they want to move? Something like RIA or Shooters?
138 would be in the same neighborhood, the weight varies with the actual alloy used.

I have seen lots of new .45s lately, Lone Pine, Rock Island and at least one other for less than $400.00. Also saw a brand new Witness .45 with rail for less than $380.00.

Buckshot
sts47

Post by sts47 »

Thanks guys,

for now we have only one income, so we have to budget just about everything.

hence the reloading. it's cheap!

We're in Columbus now, and here at the local store that has actually decent values, a RIA 1911 costs actually MORE than a Springfield GI model it's unbelievable!

I've also been looking at SAM guns. i'm hearing that they shoot just as accurate as the higher priced models, and at prices around $300 OTD.

LLAMA/Firestorm are not exactly 1911 they are just lookalikes. But they are cheap. 299.99 on the shelf yesterday.

I'll ptobably wait, and trade for a decent one for her. And get myself a RIA or SAM 1911 cheap.