Close encounter of the weird kind

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Close encounter of the weird kind

Postby Brian D. » Wed May 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Yesterday found me at the downtown cigar shop for the first time in a while. Three other customers I know also there. Was in one of the chairs up front that face the window, and street beyond. Guy I haven't seen before stops and waves at us, then comes in and stands between us, begins to talk as though he's part of the group. (Take my word for it, the man gave off a weird vibe.) Seems he was mustered out of the Marines after a friendly fire incident a few years back, but his tone is positive. He further explains that after military review, he has been awarded a large financial settlement by the DoD. That's when it got hinky and I went from condition yellow to orange to almost red real fast.

What he did was zip down his jacket, slowly (thank goodness! ) to show us the USMC patch on his shirt, and produce the DoD letter he'd just received. If those actions had been done quickly, and/or his hand had produced anything but a piece of folded white paper, the morning might have gone much differently for all concerned.

After he left my friends had quite the "What if..?" conversation about all this, but I'll get back to that tomorrow.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14847
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Close encounter of the weird kind

Postby Brian D. » Thu May 04, 2017 10:47 am

The reason he stated for coming in and telling his story was because he intends to join us as a customer soon as he gets that $286,000 check. He wants to meet with a good investment advisor (one happened to be seated to his right, coincidentally enough, but the Marine had no idea) and then his plan was to start coming in and enjoying fine cigars with all of us. So, if the guy's tale was true, it did make some sort of sense.

Afterwards, I asked my friend seated to my right if the fact that "somebody" who comes in always carries a gun makes him feel better, or worse. He is gun savvy, so he responded by asking if I was carrying a revolver or semiautomatic right then. I told him the latter, a 1911. " If you'd have drawn and fired without standing up, I'd have been catching empty brass with my face! That would make me feel MUCH worse! " :lol:

One of the downsides of an auto loader, that's very true.

I'll get back to this thread later, there was more discussion among us after the non-incident incident.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14847
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Close encounter of the weird kind

Postby Gramps » Thu May 04, 2017 5:58 pm

I have met people like you are talking about from time to time. Known one from childhood and talk when we run into each other every year or so. Really nice guy with the first name of Guy BTW.
Much of my life was a street wise life with mostly lower middle class people and for 35 yrs dealing with the mentally disturbed/disabled often and still do.
I have little worry most of the time with the other than our so called "normals".
Folks of a "weird kind" as you say are almost always harmless, sometime just telling stories, fantasies or delusions but often telling the truth.
Not a bad idea to be cautious with an unknown however.
Enjoy your cigar! :D
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..
User avatar
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:49 pm
Location: Logan County

Re: Close encounter of the weird kind

Postby Brian D. » Thu May 04, 2017 7:00 pm

The friend who was sitting to my left is older, the owner of a diesel engine sales/service place. He has dealt with people of all ilk from angry truck drivers to the CEOs of major truck manufacturers. His tact during the situation was to acknowledge and provide a bit of verbal response to the supposed Marine. I told my pal later, that is exactly how I was trained to deal with mental patients during my fire/EMS career. He confided that when the stranger unzipped that jacket and reached inside, he was ready to hit the floor and hope my draw was fast and aim was good.

I guess by now you folks get the idea that this encounter was unsettling. Sometimes I wish I lived out in the boonies.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14847
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Close encounter of the weird kind

Postby Gramps » Thu May 04, 2017 8:03 pm

Not making light of your encounter but "angry truck drivers" are some of the ones I mentioned. Not a lot of types of people I have not dealt with and situations I have not been in....
Never been shot at but have been drawn on two times many years ago. Long story but we all lived for a while, one died of cancer and the other a car wreck... I am ok so far!
Knives really scare me!
Again, not a bad idea to be cautious with an unknown.
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..
User avatar
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:49 pm
Location: Logan County

Re: Close encounter of the weird kind

Postby Brian D. » Thu May 04, 2017 8:27 pm

You seem to have a good idea of what I'm talking about here, Gramps.

One more small point worth mentioning is that the chairs at this cigar shop are soft, deep front to back, but not particularly wide. Accessing a gun while seated could be really tricky. Almost like doing the same from in a car.

Food for thought.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14847
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Close encounter of the weird kind

Postby wls » Fri May 05, 2017 8:19 am

BrianD......scammers are among us and are very good at their "trade".....If the new guy shows up listen to his stories and look out for his excuses about the check being delayed. If this guy is scamming he may only get a few $$$ from the cigar shop, but be assured he is scamming someone else for big bucks. His walking in, announcing he is about to be rich could very well have been his initial set up.

I speak from personal experience, not with me but someone close to me.
wls
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:57 pm
Location: N Cincinnati

Re: Close encounter of the weird kind

Postby Brian D. » Fri May 05, 2017 11:23 am

wls wrote:BrianD......scammers are among us and are very good at their "trade".....If the new guy shows up listen to his stories and look out for his excuses about the check being delayed. If this guy is scamming he may only get a few $$$ from the cigar shop, but be assured he is scamming someone else for big bucks. His walking in, announcing he is about to be rich could very well have been his initial set up.

I speak from personal experience, not with me but someone close to me.


Thanks. I am all too aware of that possibility. Life in the big city.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14847
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Close encounter of the weird kind

Postby wls » Fri May 05, 2017 11:30 am

Brian D. wrote:
wls wrote:BrianD......scammers are among us and are very good at their "trade".....If the new guy shows up listen to his stories and look out for his excuses about the check being delayed. If this guy is scamming he may only get a few $$$ from the cigar shop, but be assured he is scamming someone else for big bucks. His walking in, announcing he is about to be rich could very well have been his initial set up.

I speak from personal experience, not with me but someone close to me.


Thanks. I am all too aware of that possibility. Life in the big city.


The "weird vibe" you got was likely a good indication, go with your gut.
wls
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:57 pm
Location: N Cincinnati

Re: Close encounter of the weird kind

Postby 3FULLMAGS+1 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:35 pm

Brian D. wrote:The friend who was sitting to my left is older, the owner of a diesel engine sales/service place. He has dealt with people of all ilk from angry truck drivers to the CEOs of major truck manufacturers. His tact during the situation was to acknowledge and provide a bit of verbal response to the supposed Marine. I told my pal later, that is exactly how I was trained to deal with mental patients during my fire/EMS career. He confided that when the stranger unzipped that jacket and reached inside, he was ready to hit the floor and hope my draw was fast and aim was good.

I guess by now you folks get the idea that this encounter was unsettling. Sometimes I wish I lived out in the boonies.


Brian, ya don't have to live in or visit "The big city" to find weirdos......there's loonies in the boonies too !
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 7:01 pm
Location: S.W. corner of stark. co.

Re: Close encounter of the weird kind

Postby glocksmith » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:25 pm

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Brian, ya don't have to live in or visit "The big city" to find weirdos......there's loonies in the boonies too !


Yeah...but the ones in the boonies are easier to deal with...since there are likely to be no witnesses around :mrgreen:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
glocksmith
 
Posts: 3918
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:04 am
Location: Cincinnati/SW Ohio

Re: Close encounter of the weird kind

Postby WestonDon » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:35 pm

glocksmith wrote:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Brian, ya don't have to live in or visit "The big city" to find weirdos......there's loonies in the boonies too !


Yeah...but the ones in the boonies are easier to deal with...since there are likely to be no witnesses around :mrgreen:


Thanks. Now I can't get the sound of dueling banjos out of my head. :)
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:30 pm
Location: Wood county

Re: Close encounter of the weird kind

Postby 3FULLMAGS+1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:05 pm

WestonDon wrote:
glocksmith wrote:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Brian, ya don't have to live in or visit "The big city" to find weirdos......there's loonies in the boonies too !


Yeah...but the ones in the boonies are easier to deal with...since there are likely to be no witnesses around :mrgreen:


Thanks. Now I can't get the sound of dueling banjos out of my head. :)


Hey now, I personnaly tend to like it..........

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... tion=click
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 7:01 pm
Location: S.W. corner of stark. co.


Return to Real Life Encounters

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest