Page 1 of 1

Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:01 am
by xracer
Walking the dogs this morning at 5:30am was pretty interesting. I observed a guy on a bicycle roll into a driveway that I'm somewhat familiar with and would not have expected a bike there at 5:30, then he rolled right back out. Just after the next street I saw him roll into another drive, he laid the bike down in the grass and got into the car that was in the drive and proceeded to rifle through the car. I had slowed down and was watching him, he got out of the car and saw me then went to the front door of the house and pretended he was home and going inside. He turned to me and said "good morning". I continued slowly and eventually he got back on the bike and rode away while I called the police, who showed up in less than two minuets, possibly less than one minuet. After notifying that I was armed I gave them the best description of the guy I could, it was dark and the guy wore dark clothing with a hoodie or dark hat so I didn't really get a good look at his face or even the color of the bicycle. Well, I was two thirds of the way to work and they called telling me they thought they got him. Doubt they will be able to hold him on my weak description though. Hope he just stays out of my neighborhood. Akron PD was on top of it and quickly, notification was also a non issue, she was like "OK". I didn't think trying to hold him at gunpoint would have been a good Idea.

Re: Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:07 am
by Javelin Man
Sounds like you gave a good, nay, perfect, response to the situation. Well played! :)

Re: Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:19 am
by carmen fovozzo
Well done..I think if you would of held him against his will, you would of been in a lot of trouble.....so far he hadn't done anything wrong that you could see.

Re: Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:27 am
by WhyNot
Good job! You perfectly played the part of good citizen. Did you also make a quality contact to the property owners ?

Re: Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:16 pm
by xracer
Thanks all, wish I could have had a better description of him but it was 5:30am. Talked to the property owner this afternoon and found out his wallet was taken. He called the PD who gave him some info but also told him they found a few items in his backpack but none tying him to any one person or address. The guy said he wont leave his wallet in the car again, should also not leave it unlocked. He said his daughter had to get something out last night and must not have locked it when she was done.

Re: Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:10 am
by deanimator
Being from Chicago, the idea of leaving my car unlocked... much less leaving my wallet in an unlocked car, leaves me speechless.

Re: Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:39 am
by Aesinsp
Overall good outcome & kuddos on your situational awareness!

Re: Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:42 pm
by schmieg
deanimator wrote:Being from Chicago, the idea of leaving my car unlocked... much less leaving my wallet in an unlocked car, leaves me speechless.

Being from Cincinnati, I have the same reaction.

Re: Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:38 pm
by concreteguy
schmieg wrote:
deanimator wrote:Being from Chicago, the idea of leaving my car unlocked... much less leaving my wallet in an unlocked car, leaves me speechless.

Being from Cincinnati, I have the same reaction.



Being from SE Ohio, this would be the norm. Of course I'm married, so there is never any cash in my wallet.

Re: Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:12 pm
by Curzyk
Some folk intentionally leave their vehicles unlocked in order to keep their windows intact. I don't subscribe to that. I don't store anything of value in my car, and therefore there's nothing that should attract a would-be-thief to do anything more than peek through the window..

Re: Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:26 pm
by Javelin Man
Curzyk wrote:Some folk intentionally leave their vehicles unlocked in order to keep their windows intact. I don't subscribe to that. I don't store anything of value in my car, and therefore there's nothing that should attract a would-be-thief to do anything more than peek through the window..


My AMC's and my convertibles stay unlocked and, as you, leave nothing of value in the car.

Funny about being married so the wallet is empty! :lol:

Re: Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:54 pm
by heathen
Talking about things missing from cars reminds me of a funny story. A local neighborhood was often missing things from their cars and sometimes different things were found instead. This went on for months. Turns out a little kid about 5 years old would open people's cars and take whatever he found, keys, sun glasses, etc. He would then go to the next car and take whatever he found and leave what he took out of the last car. I think because his hands were so small, he could only carry so much and would save the newest treasures he found. He ended up taking my mother-in-law's landlord's truck keys. A neighbor happened to see the little kid in his truck and the police were able to track him down. Mystery solved. :lol:

Re: Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:29 pm
by Chuck
heathen wrote:Talking about things missing from cars reminds me of a funny story. A local neighborhood was often missing things from their cars and sometimes different things were found instead. This went on for months. Turns out a little kid about 5 years old would open people's cars and take whatever he found, keys, sun glasses, etc. He would then go to the next car and take whatever he found and leave what he took out of the last car. I think because his hands were so small, he could only carry so much and would save the newest treasures he found. He ended up taking my mother-in-law's landlord's truck keys. A neighbor happened to see the little kid in his truck and the police were able to track him down. Mystery solved. :lol:


Hahaha!
That's a good story

Re: Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:29 am
by AlanM
Hmmm, a Pack Rug Rat