Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

xracer

Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

Post by xracer »

Walking the dogs this morning at 5:30am was pretty interesting. I observed a guy on a bicycle roll into a driveway that I'm somewhat familiar with and would not have expected a bike there at 5:30, then he rolled right back out. Just after the next street I saw him roll into another drive, he laid the bike down in the grass and got into the car that was in the drive and proceeded to rifle through the car. I had slowed down and was watching him, he got out of the car and saw me then went to the front door of the house and pretended he was home and going inside. He turned to me and said "good morning". I continued slowly and eventually he got back on the bike and rode away while I called the police, who showed up in less than two minuets, possibly less than one minuet. After notifying that I was armed I gave them the best description of the guy I could, it was dark and the guy wore dark clothing with a hoodie or dark hat so I didn't really get a good look at his face or even the color of the bicycle. Well, I was two thirds of the way to work and they called telling me they thought they got him. Doubt they will be able to hold him on my weak description though. Hope he just stays out of my neighborhood. Akron PD was on top of it and quickly, notification was also a non issue, she was like "OK". I didn't think trying to hold him at gunpoint would have been a good Idea.
Keep your eyes on the road and the rubber side down.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Interesting morning walk with the dogs.

Post by Javelin Man »

Sounds like you gave a good, nay, perfect, response to the situation. Well played! :)
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Well done..I think if you would of held him against his will, you would of been in a lot of trouble.....so far he hadn't done anything wrong that you could see.
Last edited by carmen fovozzo on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Good job! You perfectly played the part of good citizen. Did you also make a quality contact to the property owners ?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
xracer

Post by xracer »

Thanks all, wish I could have had a better description of him but it was 5:30am. Talked to the property owner this afternoon and found out his wallet was taken. He called the PD who gave him some info but also told him they found a few items in his backpack but none tying him to any one person or address. The guy said he wont leave his wallet in the car again, should also not leave it unlocked. He said his daughter had to get something out last night and must not have locked it when she was done.
Keep your eyes on the road and the rubber side down.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Being from Chicago, the idea of leaving my car unlocked... much less leaving my wallet in an unlocked car, leaves me speechless.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Overall good outcome & kuddos on your situational awareness!
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

deanimator wrote:Being from Chicago, the idea of leaving my car unlocked... much less leaving my wallet in an unlocked car, leaves me speechless.
Being from Cincinnati, I have the same reaction.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

schmieg wrote:
deanimator wrote:Being from Chicago, the idea of leaving my car unlocked... much less leaving my wallet in an unlocked car, leaves me speechless.
Being from Cincinnati, I have the same reaction.

Being from SE Ohio, this would be the norm. Of course I'm married, so there is never any cash in my wallet.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Some folk intentionally leave their vehicles unlocked in order to keep their windows intact. I don't subscribe to that. I don't store anything of value in my car, and therefore there's nothing that should attract a would-be-thief to do anything more than peek through the window..
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Curzyk wrote:Some folk intentionally leave their vehicles unlocked in order to keep their windows intact. I don't subscribe to that. I don't store anything of value in my car, and therefore there's nothing that should attract a would-be-thief to do anything more than peek through the window..
My AMC's and my convertibles stay unlocked and, as you, leave nothing of value in the car.

Funny about being married so the wallet is empty! :lol:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
heathen

Post by heathen »

Talking about things missing from cars reminds me of a funny story. A local neighborhood was often missing things from their cars and sometimes different things were found instead. This went on for months. Turns out a little kid about 5 years old would open people's cars and take whatever he found, keys, sun glasses, etc. He would then go to the next car and take whatever he found and leave what he took out of the last car. I think because his hands were so small, he could only carry so much and would save the newest treasures he found. He ended up taking my mother-in-law's landlord's truck keys. A neighbor happened to see the little kid in his truck and the police were able to track him down. Mystery solved. :lol:
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

heathen wrote:Talking about things missing from cars reminds me of a funny story. A local neighborhood was often missing things from their cars and sometimes different things were found instead. This went on for months. Turns out a little kid about 5 years old would open people's cars and take whatever he found, keys, sun glasses, etc. He would then go to the next car and take whatever he found and leave what he took out of the last car. I think because his hands were so small, he could only carry so much and would save the newest treasures he found. He ended up taking my mother-in-law's landlord's truck keys. A neighbor happened to see the little kid in his truck and the police were able to track him down. Mystery solved. :lol:
Hahaha!
That's a good story
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Hmmm, a Pack Rug Rat
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.