Small Bank Branch

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Small Bank Branch

Post by bignflnut »

Illinios ya'all...few armed citizens...all employees at the premises.
Rockford, Illinois

Rockford Police Chief Dan O'Shea said that Turner also robbed at gunpoint Rockford financial institutions and a retailer: Mincemoyer Jewelers on Nov. 23, when a laptop was stolen; Harvard State Bank on Nov. 28, when an undisclosed amount of cash was taken; and Members Alliance Credit Union on Dec. 16, when money was stolen.

The surveillance footage from Alpine Bank shows a man wearing a ski mask and gloves entering the bank, firing into the ceiling and then at Harrison, as Harrison fires back.
So a man walks in with a gun...
return fire 4 seconds after first door opens.

RKBA / self-defense is right, just and moral.
Accept no substitutes.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Brian D.

Re: Small Bank Branch

Post by Brian D. »

From other sources I read that the good guy/guard also happens to be retired LE. Doesn't look like one of those officers who skipped requalification or barely passed, and I'd further venture he'd been in harm's way before. He even instantly cleared a malfunction during the shooting, everybody else here noticed that, right? Probably caused by firing the gun from an odd, unsupported angle. That can happen with even the very most reliable firearm. He did great, in my opinion!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:From other sources I read that the good guy/guard also happens to be retired LE. Doesn't look like one of those officers who skipped requalification or barely passed, and I'd further venture he'd been in harm's way before. He even instantly cleared a malfunction during the shooting, everybody else here noticed that, right? Probably caused by firing the gun from an odd, unsupported angle. That can happen with even the very most reliable firearm. He did great, in my opinion!
That never happened with a certain lady I know. Oh wait that was a revolver. :mrgreen:
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Oh yes, for sure I know the comment was all in fun, but I have dedicated (an immeasurably small percentage of) my life to fighting against the long held myth of revolver reliability.

Generally... yeah, fine, if you wanna think so. But in reality when a revolver stops (and for sure, bet your life, revolvers STOP ALSO), it is almost never ever a quick recovery, EVER.

I have never found myself in an armed confrontation -and- I have also never put any of my revolvers through mistreatment or neglect or a harsh environment and yet I have had revolvers stop and they stop dead. You effectively clear them and continue under good lighting and a work bench, sometimes with tools.

You can't tap/rack to get back in the fight.

Bottom line? "Six for sure" had far more merit in the 50's, 60's and 70's. For the good of the folks newer to handguns and defensive carry, this nonsense need to find the same fate of the oft-told story of the cop who was found with six pieces of empty brass in his shirt pocket. It's bad info.

Oops...
I am way over here on a tangent. I'm sorry about that. (uhhh kind of)
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian D. wrote:From other sources I read that the good guy/guard also happens to be retired LE. Doesn't look like one of those officers who skipped requalification or barely passed, and I'd further venture he'd been in harm's way before. He even instantly cleared a malfunction during the shooting, everybody else here noticed that, right? Probably caused by firing the gun from an odd, unsupported angle. That can happen with even the very most reliable firearm. He did great, in my opinion!
HE also checked to see if there was another BG outside after the shooting..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Sevens wrote:Oh yes, for sure I know the comment was all in fun, but I have dedicated (an immeasurably small percentage of) my life to fighting against the long held myth of revolver reliability.

Generally... yeah, fine, if you wanna think so. But in reality when a revolver stops (and for sure, bet your life, revolvers STOP ALSO), it is almost never ever a quick recovery, EVER.

I have never found myself in an armed confrontation -and- I have also never put any of my revolvers through mistreatment or neglect or a harsh environment and yet I have had revolvers stop and they stop dead. You effectively clear them and continue under good lighting and a work bench, sometimes with tools.

You can't tap/rack to get back in the fight.

Bottom line? "Six for sure" had far more merit in the 50's, 60's and 70's. For the good of the folks newer to handguns and defensive carry, this nonsense need to find the same fate of the oft-told story of the cop who was found with six pieces of empty brass in his shirt pocket. It's bad info.

Oops...
I am way over here on a tangent. I'm sorry about that. (uhhh kind of)

The comment was strictly related to "firing the gun from an odd, unsupported angle.", NOT the reliability of revolvers in general. Perhaps you can provide a link to when and where a revolver ever jammed strictly due only to this?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

My comment about "unsupported, odd angle" was in reference to semi autos. (I sometimes forget that we still have some revolver-toting geezers that are not only alive, but still able to type up posts here. :lol: )

Years ago a couple of police officers in my town got in a shootout with robbers just as they were fleeing a bank holdup. This was in the revolver era. Afterwards their chief was at the firehouse discussing particulars of the incident. He was disturbed that in one cop's revolver, there were only five rounds out of six that went off before the officer reloaded and re-engaged the robbers, who were actually trying to charge AT that officer.

As it turns out, under stress the cop had not let the trigger reset completely forward before pulling it again. In a S&W revolver, that may cause the cylinder to be turned, but the hammer is not engaged. So, you "roll by" that chamber, in fact that's the term for it. The chief had no idea that could happen, and made me demonstrate with his emptied revolver. He was always a pretty stoic guy but my little trick made his chin hit the floor.

Under stress it seems like we can foul up with even the simplest tools.

********************************************************************************
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Provide a link... :lol:
Surely you jest.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:My comment about "unsupported, odd angle" was in reference to semi autos. (I sometimes forget that we still have some revolver-toting geezers that are not only alive, but still able to type up posts here. :lol: )
Geezer eh? :x I should run over your toe with the wheel of my walker, if I could remember where I left it. :?:
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:
Brian D. wrote:My comment about "unsupported, odd angle" was in reference to semi autos. (I sometimes forget that we still have some revolver-toting geezers that are not only alive, but still able to type up posts here. :lol: )
Geezer eh? :x I should run over your toe with the wheel of my walker, if I could remember where I left it. :?:
Don't worry. He's catching up to us.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

It'll be interesting to hear about the shot fired at 0:25. The gun fell clear of the BG's hands after he was hit by the first shot and he rolled away from it. Not saying the guard did wrong...IMO you should finish em off so they can't testify against you :lol: .
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

glocksmith wrote:It'll be interesting to hear about the shot fired at 0:25. The gun fell clear of the BG's hands after he was hit by the first shot and he rolled away from it. Not saying the guard did wrong...IMO
Maybe the vermin had a BUG, pardon my wordplay. Or, more seriously, the good guy had a bit of tunnel vision going on and didn't see the robber had lost his gun? Given the video, I'd sure hate to be a prosecutor whose bosses demanded I take the case to a grand jury hearing, forget about putting the guard on trial!