West Carrollton PD wrong on notification

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Squirrel

West Carrollton PD wrong on notification

Post by Squirrel »

Unfortunately my truck was gone through last night. Nothing of any value was taken but I thought I would at least talk to an officer with the hopes of them patrolling a little more.
I answered question for a few minutes about the items taken. The the office asks for ID.
Officer: " Can I see your ID"
Me: "Sure
As I was getting my ID from my wallet, He says
Officer: "you are one of the good guys, i'm not worried about you but you are supposed to tell me if you have a CCW and whether you are carrying or not".
Me: "No I don't"
Officer: " Yes you do it is in your concealed handgun book"
Me: "The book says that I must notify if I have a concealed handgun license and I am carrying"
Officer: "You have to tell me either way" (maybe not exactly what he said but something like that)
Me: "I disagree with that interpretation and I believe OFCC sent letters to all Ohio police departments regarding this".

He dropped it after that and finished up talking about my stolen items. He was not rude or aggressive about it. I believe he truly believes what he is saying. I am thinking about emailing the department and attaching the 2923.126(A) but I am not sure what to say or how to word it. I believe it is a training issue.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: West Carrollton PD wrong on notification

Post by Chuck »

Sorry about your truck and yes, you should send that email
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Hmm. Members here have reported similar misinformation being spewed by WCPD officers in the past. Interesting, because as memory serves one of their supervisors is a CHL instructor and is sometimes a go to for local media on the subject. (I believe he even hosted an AM radio talk show regarding firearms and wasn't exactly a font of accurate information.) Again going on memory that officer has a particular dislike of open carry under any circumstances.

Don't know if this is connected to what the OP related above.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Brian D. wrote:Hmm. Members here have reported similar misinformation being spewed by WCPD officers in the past. Interesting, because as memory serves one of their supervisors is a CHL instructor and is sometimes a go to for local media on the subject. (I believe he even hosted an AM radio talk show regarding firearms and wasn't exactly a font of accurate information.) Again going on memory that officer has a particular dislike of open carry under any circumstances.

Well it so happens that "I" have a "particular dislike" for LE that have that particular dislike.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Hmm. Members here have reported similar misinformation being spewed by WCPD officers in the past. Interesting, because as memory serves one of their supervisors is a CHL instructor and is sometimes a go to for local media on the subject. (I believe he even hosted an AM radio talk show regarding firearms and wasn't exactly a font of accurate information.) Again going on memory that officer has a particular dislike of open carry under any circumstances.

Well it so happens that "I" have a "particular dislike" for LE that have that particular dislike.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
STX440Case

Post by STX440Case »

It's the same in Springboro, OH with the cops and notification the last 2 times I habe been stopped leaving work at 230 am.