Gimme all your ammo!

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Re: Gimme all your ammo!

Post by deanimator »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
deanimator wrote:...assuming that it actually happened.
Although it's possible, maybe even likely, that the story has been 'embellished' it's not like it's impossible either. Earlier this year a NYC officer was found guilty of stealing money from drivers' wallets during traffic stops.
Being from Chicago, I'd NEVER say it's "impossible".

As told, it merely seems improbable without evidence.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Curzyk wrote:Out of curiosity.. Beyond informing, are you required to answer the officer's questions about "any others in the car" if they're not loaded? What about answering regarding the contents of a bag? I know that part of having the CHL is "obeying lawful orders", but I always wonder where that line is drawn..
Two little words...

"Officer safety"

I would answer truthfully and deal with any police corruption later.
Likely with recorded evidence.. :wink:
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Kind of surprised that there is so much perceived doubt to validity here because its third party. I've been posting here long enough to hopefully be considered a reliable member. I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't think it credible.

As I said, this was told to me directly by the actors brother, an employee of mine.

This morning, the actor was directed to the Justice Center downtown (Cleveland) as this is where seized property must be claimed. The Sgt. at the desk agreed that the stop was all in order and that the cop involved may had been "hasty" in confiscating the ammunition.

He goes on to say the trouble is, regardless of guilt or innocence, any firearm or ammo confiscated requires a court order to get it back, and that by the time this is done the ammo will more than likely have already been "destroyed". The actor was handed a complaint form and pointed to the door.

I will attempt to have the actor join and post here if he wants to follow up.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
docachna

Post by docachna »

gaptrick wrote:

This morning, the actor was directed to the Justice Center downtown (Cleveland) as this is where seized property must be claimed. The Sgt. at the desk agreed that the stop was all in order and that the cop involved may had been "hasty" in confiscating the ammunition.

He goes on to say the trouble is, regardless of guilt or innocence, any firearm or ammo confiscated requires a court order to get it back, and that by the time this is done the ammo will more than likely have already been "destroyed". The actor was handed a complaint form and pointed to the door.

I will attempt to have the actor join and post here if he wants to follow up.
Incredible. The arrogance in Cuyahoga County is simply incredible to me.

Have to wonder if SeanC or someone else might suggest a cheap way to "put the brakes" on any destruction of the ammo that might not involve hiring a lawyer. The only other suggestion I'd have is either to demand a meeting with the Chief of Patrol, or alternatively, go to the Clevesburg media - like TODAY. NEOMG (Cleveland.com) probably could not care less, but a radio show or two, scratching for ratings, might get him on.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
sog711

Post by sog711 »

I doubt it actually happened but..... Too bad it wasn't a sport shooter that's shoots 9mm major instead of 45.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

docachna wrote:Incredible. The arrogance in Cuyahoga County is simply incredible to me.

Have to wonder if SeanC or someone else might suggest a cheap way to "put the brakes" on any destruction of the ammo that might not involve hiring a lawyer. The only other suggestion I'd have is either to demand a meeting with the Chief of Patrol, or alternatively, go to the Clevesburg media - like TODAY. NEOMG (Cleveland.com) probably could not care less, but a radio show or two, scratching for ratings, might get him on.
Assuming that it's true, that's petty theft. How does that look on a cop's record?

Of course it's also an open and shut 1983 civil rights case. The cop had no more authority to steal ammunition than to steal a watch or a phone.
TheIMP

Post by TheIMP »

There has been some mention as to the validity of the events listed in this post, I've been asked by my older brother to answer any questions and clarify the story to the best of my ability. First it is true a CPD officer did in his words "confiscate" 236 rounds of Hornady XTP HP's that I had hand loaded a few weeks prior however the reason I was given at the time wasn't the amount of ammo but the way I had or rather didn't store it. In a bit of a rush to pick up a good friend for a late afternoon at the range he had offered to pay for I carefully locked up the pistols but just kinda stacked the ammo in the truck in 5x10 racks. The conversation was pretty relaxed and although I can't quote word for word the exchange it was him explaining that in certain circumstances the manner in which I had stored the ammunition could be dangerous to myself or possibly others, he want on to explain that since it did not appear I had done this with any sort of malice or disregard for the law he wouldn't issue me a citation for either the ammo or the alleged rolling stop. After hearing I was pretty much off the hook just out $100ish of ammo I signed the warning and went on my way. At no time during the interaction did it seem he was stealing anything sure I was a little angry but more at myself for not taking an extra few minutes to either toss the rounds in range bag or a big rolling ammo case I've got not twenty feet from the cabinet I had to retrieve the pistols from.
The rest minus a few details is pretty spot on a spoke with a Sgt. saturday who was generally alright but finally explained that in his words "It was probably unnecessary for the officer to have seized the ammo" and that he had acted a little "overzealous" that the possible expense both in time and money to have it returned probably wasn't worth it. At the time especially after being given the runaround for about three and half to four hours total I may have made a few choice remarks but after having some time to reflect on everything am I happy about it of course not but at the same time it provided a few cheap lessons, store everything neatly, don't drive a car that draws unwanted attention and NEVER offer up more information than you have to unless you 100% you've got all your ducks in a row.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Incredible and outrageous.

The most probable scenario: the LEO took the ammo home with him.

Something needs to he done here.
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Can someone please point me to these ammunition storage and transport laws as the apply to the everyday person?
Hyflyer

Post by Hyflyer »

Thanks for taking the time to join the forums and explain the situation first hand. I appreciate it.

Scott
Double3

Post by Double3 »

TJW815 wrote:Can someone please point me to these ammunition storage and transport laws as the apply to the everyday person?
You beat me to it.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Michael wrote:Incredible and outrageous.

The most probable scenario: the LEO took the ammo home with him.

Something needs to he done here.
It'd be interesting if some of that ammunition was loaded with less than 100% attention to detail, like a double or triple charge of Bullseye in a .38 Special case.

If one of those rounds were to destroy a firearm and injure the cop, how would he explain how he got the information? "I stole it"?

Even more interesting, what would happen if he gave some to somebody else who got injured?

Theft is theft, no matter if you try to cloak it in giving somebody a "break" from a non-existent "crime".
mreising

Post by mreising »

I would demand the ammo be returned as it was an illegal seizure. Point out that a court might find that ORC 2923.163 applies here, even though it typically applies to firearms.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
docachna

Post by docachna »

I reiterate - start at the top. You'll get nothing going to the lemmings at the District OR at HQ.

Deputy Chief- Field Operations 216.623.5011.

Time is of the essence if there's a chance that evidence of this crime may be destroyed.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

I don't know what's a stop sign ticket cost, what's the cost of the ammo. If you ask for his supervisor to come out,.... you are getting a ticket and 2 points on the driver license. Just sayin It's no win situation . :cry:
Black Rifles Matter