Gimme all your ammo!

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Gimme all your ammo!

Post by gaptrick »

A guy at the shop relays this story about his brother's encounter earlier today while headed to the range to meet a buddy...

Cleveland cop pulls him over in the old Brooklyn neighborhood. The fella informs. All well and good. Cop asks if there are any others. He informs about 2 empty .45's in the trunk under lock and key (was checking a repair in one and the other was a recently purchased used gun he hadn't fired yet). All good again.

Here's where it gets screwed up...

Cop says what's in the bag. Guy answers its his ammo. 250 rounds of .45 reloads (his). The cop tells him THATS TOO MUCH AMMO and that he CAN'T BE DRIVING AROUND WITH THAT MUCH AMMO!!!!

He gets a WARNING for a rolling stop sign, the cop STEALS HIS AMMO and gets a Have a nice day and was gone...What are his options here short of a lawyer...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Brian D.

Re: Gimme all your ammo!

Post by Brian D. »

Why do these stories always get here third-hand? That makes me leery it actually happened, to be honest. But assuming it's true, the victim should report it to that cop's command structure. Start with immediate supervisor and keep moving up the chain. Covertly audio tape all the meetings. Our OFCC Vice President still works for that department I think, get hold of him too.

I had to push back against a Cincinnati officer once, long ago. Without an eyewitness to the incident, and me refusing to let off the bosses, the long process (it took three years) to get the guy terminated wouldn't have been successful.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Brian D. wrote:Why do these stories always get here third-hand?
This was my first reaction, as well.

Assuming the story was true, one of two things is happening. 1) The officer is simply stealing property and there is no recording (unless the officer is a tremendous idiot). In that case, it is exceptionally unlikely the property will ever be returned without some evidence that the officer is a criminal. 2) The officer is making a "good faith" error and provided a property receipt for the confiscated items and they'll be returned once the department (or law director) realizes the error.

But, again, I find option 3 the most likely - this story was heavily embelleshed and/or didn't actually happen.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

gaptrick wrote:A guy at the shop relays this story about his brother's encounter earlier today ...
Go back and find the guy. Ask for his brother's name. Request public records involving the brother and determine the name of the LEO.

Can't find "the guy"? :oops: Thread's done.

"Guy" can't remember his brother's name? :roll: Thread's done.

Find "the guy" and get his brother's name? :shock: Awesome!

Let us know when the city fills your public record request. Then we provide the brother with the officer's name and suggest he go file a complaint...and that we'll be happy to go with him. :wink:

Somehow, I don't think we'll make it this far. :P
MyWifeSaidYes
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

It's a toss-up as to which is less reliable:
  1. Cops speaking about criminal law.
  2. "Guys in gun stores" talking about much of anything.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

deanimator wrote:It's a toss-up as to which is less reliable:
I would of said to the cop show me the section of the O.R.C. that states how much ammo I can have. :twisted:
Black Rifles Matter
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Police Officers steal ammo all the time.. :?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Police Officers steal ammo all the time.. :?
I'm a reloader...so perhaps I'll load some compressed charges of TNT in my cartridges and allow the cops to steal them, Boy would they get a bang out of that :lol:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

glocksmith wrote:
I'm a reloader...so perhaps I'll load some compressed charges of TNT in my cartridges and allow the cops to steal them, Boy would they get a bang out of that :lol:
Why am I suddenly reminded of the Saliva song "Click Click Boom"?
I've had consistently good results with ether.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Bianchi? wrote:
glocksmith wrote:
Why am I suddenly reminded of the Saliva song "Click Click Boom"?
Never heard of the band or the song...so I had to Youtube it. I didn't "get it" :|
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Out of curiosity.. Beyond informing, are you required to answer the officer's questions about "any others in the car" if they're not loaded? What about answering regarding the contents of a bag? I know that part of having the CHL is "obeying lawful orders", but I always wonder where that line is drawn..
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Curzyk wrote:Out of curiosity.. Beyond informing, are you required to answer the officer's questions about "any others in the car" if they're not loaded? What about answering regarding the contents of a bag? I know that part of having the CHL is "obeying lawful orders", but I always wonder where that line is drawn..
Two little words...

"Officer safety"

I would answer truthfully and deal with any police corruption later.
MyWifeSaidYes
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Curzyk wrote:Out of curiosity.. Beyond informing, are you required to answer the officer's questions about "any others in the car" if they're not loaded? What about answering regarding the contents of a bag? I know that part of having the CHL is "obeying lawful orders", but I always wonder where that line is drawn..
You're not required to answer any questions at all. You're required to notify. You're required to provide driver's license and registration if asked for. There is no legal duty to answer questions.

Important to remember that you cannot lie. If you don't want to answer, don't, but don't think that incorrect answers are ok.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

steves 50de wrote:
deanimator wrote:It's a toss-up as to which is less reliable:
I would of said to the cop show me the section of the O.R.C. that states how much ammo I can have. :twisted:
...assuming that it actually happened.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

deanimator wrote:...assuming that it actually happened.
Although it's possible, maybe even likely, that the story has been 'embellished' it's not like it's impossible either. Earlier this year a NYC officer was found guilty of stealing money from drivers' wallets during traffic stops.