Encounter with Sheriff deputies at Stark County Fair today

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Encounter with Sheriff deputies at Stark County Fair tod

Post by Brian D. »

glocksmith wrote:I'd sure like to know what BB62...aka "you-know-who" has to say about this. I don't think he'd approve of the LEO's harassing of justashooter.
He's busy with putting together yet another OC educational walk, this coming Saturday at Kent State University. (Wonder if I should be plugging this event on here? Oh well, if not, the suits here will let me know..)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

It would be quite appropriate for that event to be posted in the Open Carry forum,
I have told him personally that his events are welcome
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Ahh, Kent State...the place where our own "hero" soldiers gunned down a bunch of unarmed hippies. They probably don't teach that part of history in our schoolrooms...especially these days.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Chuck wrote:It would be quite appropriate for that event to be posted in the Open Carry forum,
I have told him personally that his events are welcome
He should take you up on it then, Chuck, I think so anyhow. Good on ya for the helping hand.

********************************************************************************
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

glocksmith wrote:Ahh, Kent State...the place where our own "hero" soldiers gunned down a bunch of unarmed hippies. They probably don't teach that part of history in our schoolrooms...especially these days.
Actually, BB62 says that a Kent State professor/historian is going along on the OC walk, and will be providing verbal recounting of the events there in May 1970. I don't know if the man is being straight up about his intentions with BB62's group, we shall see. Hopefully the prof doesn't have some anti-gun agenda, and a bullhorn.

glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I mainly brought up the Kent State massacre to drive home the point why we citizens need to remained armed. My blood always boils when I hear anti types say that only the police and military need to be armed. I give BB62 a thumbs-up if he intentionally chose Kent State because of it's history and symbolism.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Brian D. wrote:
glocksmith wrote:I'd sure like to know what BB62...aka "you-know-who" has to say about this. I don't think he'd approve of the LEO's harassing of justashooter.
He's busy with putting together yet another OC educational walk, this coming Saturday at Kent State University. (Wonder if I should be plugging this event on here? Oh well, if not, the suits here will let me know..)
.....since this is getting of topic, I plan on attending BB's walk and hope he gets a good turn out.

NOW , back on topic.

Wonder if Justashooter has made any headway in the issue regarding his....uh....."activities" at the fair?
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I really would like to hear BB62's commentary on justashooter's incident. BB62 is the King of Open Carry locally. LOL this must be BB62 day. Just this morning I was standing in line behind a 7 foot tall red headed young man at the post office....and I asked him "hey, you wouldn't be so-and-so's son?" LOL. He didn't mention Kent State, but it was definitely "junior". :mrgreen:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Wonder if Justashooter has made any headway in the issue regarding his....uh....."activities" at the fair?
Nice lead-in!

As a matter of fact I spoke with Captain Stance on the phone to discuss my concerns. As I understand it, Captain Stance is the training officer for the Stark County Sheriff's Office, and as 3FULLMAGS+1 had dealt with him in the past it seemed like a good person to speak with.

The conversation was generally positive, but I suspect that he has had plenty of training and experience in dealing with the public and likely has a solid dose of PR training and background as well so some of it has to be taken with a grain - or even healthy dose - of salt.

I expressed my concerns about the encounter: the nature of the request, the number of deputies involved, the *strong* wording, and the level of intimidation involved. I also questioned whether that type of request was department policy, and whether or not that was consistent with their training.

He said he was very supportive of open carry, and specifically acknowledged open carry as the embodiment of our right to keep and bear arms for self defense in Ohio. He thought that it was possible that the deputies involved may have been reserve / part-time officers and thus less experienced dealing with the public on this issue, but that the way I described the encounter and their request and apparent attempt at intimidation was not department policy, nor was it consistent with their training regarding encounters with open carriers, whether at the fair or any other venue. His take on the 4 deputies being involved was that when a person with a gun call was received, that all officers in the vicinity would respond and that had it been determined that there was a real issue there likely would have been considerably more that responded. His rationale for this type of response is that 90% or more of the person with a gun calls they receive are not law-abiding citizens with holstered sidearms, they tend to be actors with bad intent. As such, *only* having 4 deputies respond meant that word had likely gone out that there wasn't a real issue.

We discussed this a bit, and I expressed additional concern about the tactic used - especially if it was not policy or consistent with training - and that I'd hate to think of others being subject to that approach. He agreed that this would be an opportunity for him to start an internal dialog within the department to educate their staff. A teachable moment as it were.

Before we wrapped up I let him know that as a volunteer for OFCC that along with fighting for legislation to further and restore our gun rights in Ohio that this was exactly the sort of thing we worked against and I hoped we wouldn't hear of any similar encounters. He agreed with that sentiment, and offered to speak with me any time I had any concerns about how their department interacted with armed, law-abiding citizens in the future.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

SeanC wrote:Why did you feel a need to engage with the deputies? They're certainly within their authority to as you and your wife to disarm. They couldn't do anything about it if you refused, which you were certainly within your rights to do. So why not just say "thanks" and carry on about your business. Engaging the deputies to "educate" them doesn't seem to have accomplished anything other than attracting attention to the situation, and elevating the possibility for a negative confrontation. Was that the objective?
"Doesn't matter what the press says.

Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say.

Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right.

This nation was founded on one principle above all else;
the requirement that we stand up for what we believe,
no matter the odds or the consequences.

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move,
your job is to plant yourself like a tree next to the River of Truth,
and tell the whole world,

"No, YOU move."
MyWifeSaidYes
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

JustaShooter wrote:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Wonder if Justashooter has made any headway in the issue regarding his....uh....."activities" at the fair?
Nice lead-in!

Your welcome

[qoute] "As a matter of fact I spoke with Captain Stance on the phone to discuss my concerns. As I understand it, Captain Stance is the training officer for the Stark County Sheriff's Office, and as 3FULLMAGS+1 had dealt with him in the past it seemed like a good person to speak with."

.....and I gave him the low down on you before I told him you'd be a callin'.... :P

And I thought it was Major Stance, not Captain....oh well, my bad.

Another thing, with all the anti-cop sentiment.....some deserved, some not so much.....talks like this with the local LE concerning such things, hopefully ease that friction as long as LE take what we have to say seriously and not just sweep it under the rug and refuse to change.
My opinion of Captain Stance in my dealings with him last year was that he "seemed" genuinely concerned about how their officers were dealing with the public concerning those of use who carry, so I'll give him a pass here.

I too, told him I was associated with OFCC, last year when we talked, and a couple weeks ago with this issue. I don't know if that made any difference or not, but both incidents could have given their sheriffs dept. black eyes over such things, "two years in a row", and I think he probably knew that, so discussing it and smoothing things over was in his departments best interest. I and Justashooter, I'm sure, would much rather see the problems fixed, whatever they may be, through open communication first, than have to make a major issue of it by putting it out there for the public to see.
Darrel
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Justashooter, did you ever get that audio "cleaned up" good enough to post it on here?
Darrel
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Justashooter, did you ever get that audio "cleaned up" good enough to post it on here?
No, it's pretty hopeless. Besides, I think what has been posted here is a good enough representation of what happened that I don't think the actual audio would really add anything.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

JustaShooter wrote:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Justashooter, did you ever get that audio "cleaned up" good enough to post it on here?
No, it's pretty hopeless. Besides, I think what has been posted here is a good enough representation of what happened that I don't think the actual audio would really add anything.
Fair enough, I'll quit prying. :)
Darrel
ParaC7

Post by ParaC7 »

I would have said, "I'll lock mine in my car at the same time you lock yours in your car".
Gun Control means using both hands and hitting your target.

You want my guns Hillary???? SURE you can have them..................Bullets First!!!

Charlton Heston always was and always will be MY President!!!!