ODNR Pull Over

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

ODNR Pull Over

Post by troy bilt »

So it's opening day for dove again. My dad, uncle, and I went out in the morning. What a blast we had. Like every other year we where checked in the field by ODNR. Never wanted to see the birds just checked the guns for plugs, and looked at licenses.

Now here is the jacked up part. We went back out in the afternoon to see if we could finish up are limits. My dad is dealing with shoulder problems so he left a bit earlier than we did. Around 15 minutes after he left he called me up to tell me that ODNR pulled him over down the road to check his license , birds, and gun for a plug.

When I left I made sure I had my voice recorder going.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
Brian D.

Re: ODNR Pull Over

Post by Brian D. »

Post up again if you wind up having questions/concerns about the stop. ODNR does have pretty broad powers with regards to law enforcement involving fishing/hunting/trapping.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

troy bilt wrote:When I left I made sure I had my voice recorder going.
What were you expecting that you needed to record? Probably still not a bad idea however.....
If it was the same ODNR officer as earlier he may have been over zealous but doesn't sound like he was harassing anyone.
If you were in a public hunting area there may be 100's of dove hunters and the officer wouldn't remember everyone he checked earlier
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Overly broad. Our family had LOTS of problems with them back in the 80's and 90's. None of us ever were doing anything wrong. It was to the point that it left such a sour taste in our mouth's that if they were on fire we'd keep on walking.
Brian D. wrote:Post up again if you wind up having questions/concerns about the stop. ODNR does have pretty broad powers with regards to law enforcement involving fishing/hunting/trapping.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Gramps wrote:
What were you expecting that you needed to record? Probably still not a bad idea however.....
Some of us prefer to record every interaction with law enforcement. (Heck, some of us prefer to record *all* interactions no matter who they are with!)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

JustaShooter wrote:
Gramps wrote:
Some of us prefer to record every interaction with law enforcement. (Heck, some of us prefer to record *all* interactions no matter who they are with!)[/quote

...and look how that turned out for Nixon.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

So I finally took time to call ODNR today about the incident. I first let them know that every officer that are group encountered was very polite.

For the most part the conversation did not go well. To keep it short the supervising officer I spoke with told me that ODNR did not kneed probable cause to pull over a vehicle to check for hunting license. He believes that his officers can pull over any vehicle that was seen parked in a hunting area and ask for proof of hunting license.

Not to sure what my next step should be but I let him know that I will be in contact with him as soon as I dug into this issue deeper.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

Gramps wrote:
If it was the same ODNR officer as earlier he may have been over zealous but doesn't sound like he was harassing anyone.
If you were in a public hunting area there may be 100's of dove hunters and the officer wouldn't remember everyone he checked earlier

Sorry it took me so long to answer. I got married this weekend and thing have been busy.

I was expecting that when I told the officer that I wanted a warrant to search my vehicle the officer would not like that. I was expecting that an officer that was pulling people over without probable cause was not a friend of mine.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

...congrats...!
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Congratulations, TB! :D

If you refuse a search when the game warden says he can search or he demands a hunting license though you haven't been hunting and don't have a hunting license, what can one expect. to happen?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
A_F

Post by A_F »

i dont know about ohio. but let me tell you about wisconsin.

my brother was watching Green Bay stomp the Bears and noticed some activity outside out of the corner of his eye. Some guy in a uniform had walked up to his truck and opened the gas filler door. diesel door, to be precise.

My brother went out to see what was going on. The officer said they got a tip that my brother was running 'farm diesel' (non-taxed) and he was checking it out. My brother was not running farm diesel, it was just someone trying to cause him trouble.

But i received an education on the powers of the DNR. No proof, just a simple phone call. The officer said if my brother had a locking gas cap, they could tow the truck! They really can do almost anything they want.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

A_F wrote:i dont know about ohio. but let me tell you about wisconsin.

my brother was watching Green Bay stomp the Bears and noticed some activity outside out of the corner of his eye. Some guy in a uniform had walked up to his truck and opened the gas filler door. diesel door, to be precise.

My brother went out to see what was going on. The officer said they got a tip that my brother was running 'farm diesel' (non-taxed) and he was checking it out. My brother was not running farm diesel, it was just someone trying to cause him trouble.

But i received an education on the powers of the DNR. No proof, just a simple phone call. The officer said if my brother had a locking gas cap, they could tow the truck! They really can do almost anything they want.

Tell the ODNR officer to pound sand then call a lawyer. You (or your brother in this case) has rights.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

This is an old discussion we've had before...but I'd like to add that IDK about Ohio, but where I own acreage in Kentucky...the Game Warden can come onto your land uninvited, no PC nothing. Normally I would welcome their presence as I have occasionally found evidence of permission-less deer hunters...but that benefit comes at a cost. I could be detained and questioned on my own property....sort of a problem because I regularly shoot and CC in my woods. They are welcome on my land anytime TBH...but they had better not give me a hard time. How they distinguish between landowner and trespasser is one question I would like to know the answer to.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!