LEO observation

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ApexShootingTactics

LEO observation

Post by ApexShootingTactics »

For those who don't know me, I am a full time police officer (working on 14 years as of this post) currently assigned to patrol.

5 years ago I would estimate that approximately 10% of the CHL holders I came in contact with were actually carrying. Over the last few weeks I am seeing a total 180 degree shift. The rarity is coming in contact with a CHL who isn't carrying. Hopefully this trend continues and isn't just a fad because of the times.

Keep packing and keep training because you don't get to choose the time, the time chooses you.
-Andrew

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. -Benjamin Franklin
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: LEO observation

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Stay Safe Out There.....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

That's a very interesting observation. I suppose that current events are making people feel a lot less safe.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

I echo Carmen's sentiment - you're definitely one of the good guys, Andrew, so please stay safe out there. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Just in the last few days I read a Greg Ellifritz article in which he stated that 75% of the carry licensees he stopped on the road didn't have their gun on them at the time. But, he mentioned that some at least had it in the console, glove box, under the seat, etc.

Too, it may have been a reboot of an older article. Andrew, your numbers make me feel a little better today.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
ApexShootingTactics

Brian D, I guess to put a little more detail to this. Most of my CHL contact is during traffic related calls (traffic stops, crashes, road rage and so on). Many of these CHL holders have the weapon with in reach and not on their person. The minority have the weapon on their person. As a side note, I have found it common place that if called to a scene that is vehicle related many CHL holders indicated they stow the weapon in the vehicle prior to my arrival, stating safety concerns.
-Andrew

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Still in all, your numbers are encouraging compared to my own (non-LE) observations, reading, casual inquiries and overall best guesstimates.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

ApexShootingTactics wrote:Brian D, I guess to put a little more detail to this. Most of my CHL contact is during traffic related calls (traffic stops, crashes, road rage and so on). Many of these CHL holders have the weapon with in reach and not on their person. The minority have the weapon on their person. As a side note, I have found it common place that if called to a scene that is vehicle related many CHL holders indicated they stow the weapon in the vehicle prior to my arrival, stating safety concerns.

Kind of curious....what were some of the reasons or "safety concerns" they had for doing so?
Was it because "you"....."a LEO"....was on the way?
I know more than a few who get "edgy" at the though of interacting w/ law enforcement, and having a gun on them, even though they have a chl, will make them even more uneasy.
I OC almost all the time and I constantly get asked by carriers and non-carriers alike, how law enforcement act when I do so.....seams that concern is always on their minds.

In my area, I'd say most LE are pro carry or at least OK w/ it.....I know of only two officers that are very anti-carry and I'd say that some who do carry worry about running into the latter and not knowing how to handle such a situation.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
ApexShootingTactics

3FULLMAGS+1, I don't ask beyond their basic explanation. I assume it is along the lines of what you mentioned, them being uncomfortable about LE on the way.
-Andrew

SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

ApexShootingTactics wrote:For those who don't know me, I am a full time police officer (working on 14 years as of this post) currently assigned to patrol.

5 years ago I would estimate that approximately 10% of the CHL holders I came in contact with were actually carrying. Over the last few weeks I am seeing a total 180 degree shift. The rarity is coming in contact with a CHL who isn't carrying. Hopefully this trend continues and isn't just a fad because of the times.

Keep packing and keep training because you don't get to choose the time, the time chooses you.
I can confirm. I don't usually carry, but I've been armed 24/7 the last few months.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Very interesting observation. Thank you for posting it.

There is a related question I would like your LEO opinion on. What is your take on notification? Helpful? Annoyance? Something in between?
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

WestonDon wrote:Very interesting observation. Thank you for posting it.

There is a related question I would like your LEO opinion on. What is your take on notification? Helpful? Annoyance? Something in between?
You might want to watch how you answer "this" one.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

My view, with caveat at end:

I pretty much HATED the original legislation as it was written and also didn't feel like carrying a concealed handgun was something I cared or wanted (or needed?) to do, even though I was an avid handgun owner, shooter and enthusiast going back to the late 80's. Some time in the late 2000's, my view on that evolved and in the early fall of 2008, I got my Ohio CHL.

Even as I took the required "training", it seemed odd that I might consider carrying a handgun. I mostly wanted the ability to have loaded magazines in my vehicle and I wanted the option to be able to carry if my thinking changed and also... I wanted to cast my vote that I supported the right to concealed carry in Ohio.

When I actually got my license, I didn't even own a carry gun. I rectified that within a month and I soon began actually carrying. At that time, I wanted to get "comfortable" with carrying, so I made it a point to try to carry all of the time. What became a genuine annoyance for me was all the different places that I wanted or needed to go as a married family man, a father and a husband. All of them bothered me, but perhaps none more so than restaurants that served alcohol. I'll admit straight away that this began to drive a wedge between the wife & I about where we wanted to go out for dinner on many occasions.

But as time went on... I did NOT slack off or tire of carrying, quite the opposite. I began to look at it as a lifestyle and anywhere I was going to be was simply going to be somewhere new that I would carry, within the bounds of the law.

That never changed and now that I am divorced and also, restaurant legislation has evolved, I can almost totally freely choose to put myself only in places where I am welcome as I come. I still lose out on school functions with my kids -- the most purely ludicrous of all possible places where legal concealed carry by good people is prohibited.

And finally, my caveat: simply by being an active participant in these forums and in this organization... I suppose that while I am like most you all, I am nowhere near the average Ohio CHL having, gun-owning and law abiding citizen. Pretty much NONE of us taking part in these conversations are. I shoot roughly a thousand rounds a month, give or take, and my range days are typically 6-8 hours in length, (unless the heat chases me off after four hours as it did on Sunday.) Me? Oh, I not only carry everywhere I go... I carry inside my house. All the time. ALL of it. My handgun is always on the same floor of the house that I am on, typically on my person or quite literally within arms reach.

Am I a total gun-nut that cannot be separated from a firearm? No. I'm not a lunatic, either. It's quite simply that a handgun is part of who I am and I suppose it's always going to be that way.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

I keep three alternate EDCs in a dresser drawer. It's just part of what I'm going to wear each day.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Yep, I have to choose my EDC carry with my choice of clothing everyday.....or should I say what ever my wife lays out for me in the morning..that equates to 3 EDC...in the same caliber...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens