Making a citizens arrest.

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Making a citizens arrest.

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

What can you do or how far can you go to "detain", or keep someone from leaving or getting away if you are making a citizens arrest?
This question just came up on OFCC's FB page.
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question , but if you ever find yourself in a situation like this, I think it would be a real life encounter.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Making a citizens arrest.

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

They've already found this...
2935.04 When any person may arrest.
When a felony has been committed, or there is reasonable ground to believe that a felony has been committed, any person without a warrant may arrest another whom he has reasonable cause to believe is guilty of the offense, and detain him until a warrant can be obtained.
I replied with my opinion on the issue.
MyWifeSaidYes
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

Anyone considering a "citizen's arrest" should stop thinking about that. What a perfect way to get killed, injured, and sued, all rolled into one nice package.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

SeanC wrote:Anyone considering a "citizen's arrest" should stop thinking about that. What a perfect way to get killed, injured, and sued, all rolled into one nice package.
You forgot arrested. But just think, you could be the hero of the town. There might be a parade in your honor! Oh wait. No. You'll more than likely be ostracized as a vigilante even if it's 100% legit, by the book. I'm not on Facebook nor will I ever be, but given that this is on the OFCC page I really hope the conversation isn't also in the context of concealed carry.
rufus

Post by rufus »

SeanC wrote:Anyone considering a "citizen's arrest" should stop thinking about that. What a perfect way to get killed, injured, and sued, all rolled into one nice package.
I second that one!
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

We REALLY need a like button....
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

What if you found somebody raping your daughter/wife? Making a citizens arrest might be the best thing you could do while showing tremendous restraint. How far can you go to detain someone?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Javelin Man wrote:What if you found somebody raping your daughter/wife? Making a citizens arrest might be the best thing you could do while showing tremendous restraint. How far can you go to detain someone?
Point taken...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

It seems to me that the real question being asked is whether you may use deadly force (or the presentation thereof) to effect the detention. Since that answer would be fact specific, I would offer the opinion that doing so is entirely at your own peril.

Using a firearm to stop a violent crime that is in progress is one thing (I.E., the rape in the example above). But using a firearm simply to perform a "citizen's arrest" opens the door to a wide array of bad outcomes that are just not worth it.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

• I'm not a cop.
  • I don't want people to think I'm a cop.
  • I don't want to do the things that cops do.
It's not the duty of the police to protect me as an individual

Likewise, it's not my duty to investigate crimes or "apprehend" anyone.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

The use of deadly force is part of everyone's CCW class. When you reasonably fear someone is about to kill or do serious physical harm to yourself or another.

Now...that being said..."Sir, I saw you take that money from the convenience store, stand there while I summon the police" Dude pulls out a knife, BANG.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

Javelin Man wrote:What if you found somebody raping your daughter/wife? Making a citizens arrest might be the best thing you could do while showing tremendous restraint. How far can you go to detain someone?
in this case a firearm is what this person would've wished i had, there would be no need for a citizens arrest or the need to detain them :twisted:
BOB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

catfish86 wrote:The use of deadly force is part of everyone's CCW class.
If only that were true. Ohio doesn't require that to be taught in class, and especially now that the hours have been reduced to 8, some instructors teach just the NRA Basic Pistol class which does not cover self-defense or use of force law, so the only exposure the students get to these topics is the OH AG manual.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

How do you arrest a corpse?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Double3

Post by Double3 »

I doubt the person would be alive to arrest if I was in that situation.

More than likely need dental records to identify.