Attention Kroger shoppers:

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Attention Kroger shoppers:

Post by Brian D. »

Okay gang this isn't a rant thread nor do I want it to become one. Just curious and want to gather some info. Kroger's announced back in 2014 that they were going to go from armed security guards to unarmed for the most part. Like most people I don't shop at more than a couple of their locations (typically) so it's hard to get a read on how things stand around Ohio.

What has me scratching my head is what appears to be inconsistency even at the same store from one visit to the next. The Kroger I shop at most often sometimes has an armed guard, other times one that isn't armed. Then every once in a while the guard isn't there at all. Yes I know they could be elsewhere besides by the front door; when I don't see a guard I'll ask an employee who works up front. "Oh, we don't have one scheduled for right now" is the typical response. This Kroger is open 24/7 and my visits are about the same time of day each time, so that makes no sense. As to the armed versus not armed status, I'm told the security company (Veritas) has some employees who are firearms-certified, others that aren't.

I find that weird, it's like Kroger and the security company are trying to engage the criminals in a game of roulette or something. "Hurry! Hurry! Step right up and spin the wheel of robbery! You might win a stack of cash, or a hail of bullets!"

Is it more consistent at your Kroger store?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Attention Kroger shoppers:

Post by sodbuster95 »

The Kroger I shop at has never had security of any kind, armed or otherwise. At least, not one that I've ever seen.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Face

Post by Face »

sodbuster95 wrote:The Kroger I shop at has never had security of any kind, armed or otherwise. At least, not one that I've ever seen.
Same here - and I shop way too often. They actually are within walking distance. Or cart shoving distance for some of my "beloved" neighbors.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Darkness

Post by Darkness »

This is the first I've heard of Kroger having guards.
It was not fair, it was not fair, it was not fair. So cried his child's heart, and then his child's heart died a little. For that is also the way of the world.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I think they play the roulette wheel for cost.

If you are in Hamilton County and want a local police officer from the municipality, generally it's around $35-$42 an hour. If you want a deputy, which sometimes may be harder or easier to get, I think it's around $30 an hour. But generally they prefer not to step on a jurisdiction that has another police force. Want armed security, probably talking $15 an hour. Want just a body that hopefully their presence is known, try about $10 an hour.

We use to deal with it for a local restaurant. They hired us for one event, then went county, then went private.

Now, take your 24/7 aspect and look at that in a year....

Police - $306,600 - $367,920
Deputy - $262,800
Armed Security - $131,400
Unarmed - $87,600

No matter how you look at it, that's expensive. Especially when they are paying employees $8-12 an hour. So, it's much better to play roulette and even paying that, they will never stop the amount of theft that they are worth. You need multiple bodies for that. We've fought with the Kroger where I work before on it, but they say even if we stopped one theft a day, it would still be cheaper to let the theft happen than pay someone.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:...it would still be cheaper to let the theft happen than pay someone.
Particularly when you factor in studies indicating that internal theft (employees) and errors are significant causes of retail losses. Security guards won't have much impact on either of those two areas.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I have never seen a guard of any kind at the Kroger I shop at.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

sodbuster95 wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:...it would still be cheaper to let the theft happen than pay someone.
Particularly when you factor in studies indicating that internal theft (employees) and errors are significant causes of retail losses. Security guards won't have much impact on either of those two areas.
Well, prior to K-Mart closing in our city their security kicked butt. Then the week before the closing theft skyrocket....the closing was good for them. After all, the security was stealing equally as much as the customers.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

None of these practices really trouble me, other than not knowing without taking a peek if the guard happens to be armed that morning, or not. Sort of figure if something bad happens that I find myself in the midst of, it will be over before any "cavalry" arrives, even if they're already in the store. But still, even Detective John McClane needed Sgt. Al Powell and his six shooter right at the end of Die Hard.

********************************************************************************
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

I'm in JediSkipDogg' town... I don't think I have ever seen a guard in the Hunt Rd location.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

sodbuster95 wrote:
It's the 70-20-10 rule.

On average in retail, shrink (theft or other loss) is typically comprised of 70% operational, 20% internal, and 10% external. For the most part in stores that are staffed with loss prevention personnel, external theft is usually on the back burner and they only go after low hanging fruit or O.R.C. (organized retail crime, it's a real thing) rings.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

No guards in my local Kroger . Or in any other grocery in town. :roll:
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Some of you guys are starting to make me think I live and work in a ghetto. :lol: It's urban, but gee whiz! You've got me curious about the other Kroger stores withing 15-20 miles, going to look around when I'm car-tripping around different parts of the metro region.

wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

We have security monitors at the two krogers near my house.
They only tell you if there's a robbery.
They aren't guards. Guards have tools to defend themselves.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Fyrfightr

Post by Fyrfightr »

I shop at the Liberty Twp Kroger, never a guard. Hamilton West, used to see HPD 2nd shift, haven't seen one in a while. Hamilton East, seems like pot luck.... Sometimes HPD, sometimes Private armed, other times just store employee posted at front.