woman allegedly being threatened by guy in truck

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

woman allegedly being threatened by guy in truck

Post by M-Quigley »

Last Friday night, my wife and I were returning home from Florida traveling NB on I-75. Our GPS said there was a Subway shop north on 41, so we got off the Interstate at dusk. (the GPS was wrong, the subway moved to south side of the interstate.) Up in front of us was a pickup truck driving around in circles in the middle of the two lane country road, kicking up dust every time the rear wheels went off the side of the road. I at first just assumed it was some drunk redneck country boy doing something stupid on a friday night. When we got up to where the truck was at we could see a woman running back and forth across the highway, wearing only a small two piece outfit, like panties and a sports bra. I stopped the car and the woman ran from the left side of the road to the right just after the guy in the PU truck turned around and crossed the road. She ran up to the passenger side window and my wife rolled the window down partway. The woman was bug eyed, out of breath, and yelling Please help me, that guy in the truck is trying to kill me. He's trying to run me over with his truck. (which is what it appeared when we initially pulled up, because he was crossing the road very fast, and the front of the truck did appear to head toward her until she moved to avoid him)

At this point the guy with the truck was parked across the other side of the road facing southbound. He rolled down the window. My father in law in the back seat was saying don't let her in, which wasn't possible anyway. :roll: I pulled over to the side of the road (there was a small white car and another truck behind us) and said I was calling 911. My wife was reaching for her gun, but didn't display it. I held my phone in my left hand, just in case I needed my right hand free, as the guy in the truck was staring at us hard. If the situation wasn't as she claimed the police could sort it out. When I held my phone up to my left ear, the guy in the truck kicked up dust and headed south, but then turned around and came in behind the northbound truck, which was like the white car also pulled over. The woman got into the white car, and the guy in the truck then took off northbound past us at a high rate of speed. The white car then went northbound also, as did the truck behind it. After all this happened someone finally answered at 911. :roll: Although firearms didn't need to be used or displayed it was good to have those tools in the toolbox, if the cellphone hadn't hadn't had an effect, and the situation would've gone south for us in the car.
Brian D.

Re: woman allegedly being threatened by guy in truck

Post by Brian D. »

Thanks for sharing this. Outside of being in our homes with the doors locked, alarm on, etc. it's important to be aware of what's happening.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

She went back...towards the truck that had been trying to run her over...and they both left in the same direction?

MyWifeSaidYes
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:She went back...towards the truck that had been trying to run her over...and they both left in the same direction?

No, she never went back towards the truck at any time, sorry if I gave that impression in the OP. Every time he went left of the road she went right, etc. I mean straight across in her direction. When we were at the closest point to them, she had just ran right to left, and he had spun his rear tires off the side of the road to drive toward her. The only reason she seemed able to run to the side of the front of the truck was because when he turned the front wheels to the left the wheels were on dirt, and the truck continued in a forward direction in the dirt. Plus she was thin and moved really fast. The engine was roaring, and a big cloud of dust was being kicked up. He was doing a lot of off road sliding trying to follow her across the road. It appeared to be a 2WD truck, an older one. I don't know if he was intentionally trying to run her down or was just trying to scare her, but he seemed to be doing a pretty good imitation of it. If I'd been in the off road area and someone would've been appearing to do that to me, I wouldn't have been able to move as fast or as nimbly as she did. In my condition I probably would've had to resort to other measures to avoid being run down. She however didn't have anything to protect herself with. The passenger sitting behind me said before she even came up to the window said, "What's that truck doing, trying to run her over or something?" At that moment I wished I'd had a road cam. If the guy was doing something legitimate he should've stuck around and explained to the authorities, not take off at a high rate of speed.

After she got in the white car behind us, I don't know if the decision for the white car to follow the PU was hers or the driver. My wife said she saw the car driver had a phone out also, he might've been trying to follow it to get a plate number, IDK. I don't know if following a half ton PU with a compact car at high speed is brave or foolish. (we were in a Caddy)
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Just checking...

^ Northbound

| - Caddy

| - White Car

| - Northbound Truck

| - Crazy Truck

Was the white car there when you arrived, or did it pull over behind you?

Was the crazy truck still behind all the pulled-over vehicles when the lady got in the white car?
MyWifeSaidYes
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Just checking...

^ Northbound

| - Caddy

| - White Car

| - Northbound Truck

| - Crazy Truck

Was the white car there when you arrived, or did it pull over behind you?

Was the crazy truck still behind all the pulled-over vehicles when the lady got in the white car?
The white car was behind us as we were going down the road, as was the other truck. When we pulled off the side of the road the other vehicles behind us did also. After I pulled over and got out my phone (with a passenger in the back of the car yelling in the back of the car "Don't let her in!" she went over to talk to the driver of the white car, who did let her in. It wasn't that he didn't believe her, he just didn't want to get involved that way. After she got in the white car is when the PU truck on the other side of the road went south, turned around, and appeared to come in behind the other truck. My wife said he didn't appear to actually stop behind the truck however, he seemed to just be turning around to go north and was only briefly off the road, before heading north past us. If he had just kept going south he could've gotten on I-75, but according to a local more cops hang out near that exit, due to the businesses there, getting on/off the interstate, etc.

This is a diagram of how we were stopped after the woman stopped running across the road, and after he stopped driving to opposite sides of the road. Like I said earlier, I wish I'd had a dash cam. After this incident I'm considering getting one, just have to research to find a good one.

off side of road WOMAN

Post by MrKitty »

I would like to request a diagram, please.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
-Thomas Paine