More of a none encounter with an angry driver

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

wobblygoblin

More of a none encounter with an angry driver

Post by wobblygoblin »

Several weeks ago my wife and I are driving on Cleveland Avenue in Westerville near the McDonalds down past the historic farm and park. I am in the left lane and there is a guy in the left lane opposite me. He decides that he didn't want to turn but wanted to go straight. At this same time I have a clear turn from the traffic and start to make my turn when he decides to go straight.

I abruptly slammed on my breaks (I even think I motioned for him to go ahead, and no that did not involve the middle finger but a friendly gesture). He decides to glare at me and flip me off. Ha. I used to have a temper. My wife was fuming at this guy and I calmly turned and didn't care. She asked why I was not upset and I replied, "I am carrying and he's an angry person. No reason to get upset over someone like that."

Again not a big deal but it makes life better if one does not respond to jerks.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: More of a none encounter with an angry driver

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

That just reinforces the line, "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
(from Robert Heinlein’s "Beyond This Horizon")

Being armed and responsible keeps you from misbehaving as much, if not more so, as the other guy.
MyWifeSaidYes
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

wobblygoblin wrote:Again not a big deal but it makes life better if one does not respond to jerks.
Amen - I need to hear this. Glad things went as well as they did.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Well done. If I just have to yell at another driver, I keep the windows up and look in a different direction while doing so.. :wink:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
bsctov

Post by bsctov »

I have found that since I have started carrying a gun, I tend to let ALOT more things go than before. I've been flipped off, called names, silly accusations....I just smile and nod ....pretty much the same thing I would do before, but now I keep the witty/sarcastic insults confined to my brain :wink:
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Like the penguins in the Madagascar movie....."just smile and wave boy's, just smile and wave". :lol:
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Cochise

Post by Cochise »

Sometimes people are angry and they just want to pick a fight with someone. You never know what their life circumstances are and what may have occurred to upset them. I believe not making eye contact with them can deescalate a situation. I am always aware of what they are doing but avoid direct eye contact or staring. Staring signals that you are willing to participate in a fight. If you ignore them and avoid eye contact they will likely look elsewhere for a participant. Name calling, flipping you off or anything other than a physical threat should just be ignored.