my motorcycle crash

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

my motorcycle crash

Post by Pops Fun »

Background.... motorcycle crash about a week ago Friday, 15th. near Brookville, Indiana, on us129.
I understand I went over an embankment and thru an electric fence and into a cow pasture. Harleys don't do well off road. :(

Still not exactly sure what happened or why I crashed. Last memory was being close to inside lane white line, then voices and being put on a backboard.
One of the voices asked about concealed carry, I assume he was the Deputy Sheriff. My eyes weren't open, mud and debris, I said I had a concealed carry license and was armed. Next I could feel the sheriff take the gun from my holster, and that’s really the last I thought of my pistol. On to UC trama. 6 or so hours later I was home.

I found out after I got home that my bike riding friend, Craig, had my gun. The sheriff had dropped the magazine and cleared the round from the barrel and given it to Craig. I thought it was kind of funny because Craig is pretty liberal and as far as I knew had never handled a gun before. He was glad to get rid of it when my boys picked up my stuff from him later that day. You hear stories of the police confiscating guns all the time, and holding them until a court date to get them back. So this was an example of how things should happen. Now if my arms just worked and I could hold my gun again I would be happy.

I am thankful/lucky to be here, Can't use my arms much yet, but the pain is getting better.
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: my motorcycle crash

Post by Mustang380gal »

Wow!
Glad you were not hurt worse! Six hours in a trauma center then sent home is really darned good!

Heal quickly!
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Sorry to hear about your crash,but glad you're alive to talk about it. Yeah Harleys don't do well off road. Every time I've tried it since I started riding them in 1974 was epic!

Right before last Labor Day,ironically to check out a gun store, I was riding on SR95 through Marion,~ 25mph and wrecked my V-Rod when a car stopped ahead of me. I looked down at my gauges and when I looked up;there she was stopped waiting to turn into a side street. Avoided hitting her car but locked the Brembo brakes on my VRSCR and low-sided the bike,throwing me from it.

Fortunately,this one time, I listened to my intuition and put on my helmet and armored mesh jacket. I slid head first into the curb and ended up with minor abrasions to both knees, bruised chest and hip and a light concussion(3rd time I've had one) and what I first thought was a bruised shoulder but later was diagnosed as a broken collar bone.

I rode another 80 miles before heading home. Endorphins are good !

I'll be 65 this year...I'm getting too old for this falling off motorcycles crap.<--not the noun I'd usually use. :twisted:

Didn't call an ambulance,since I was armed as usual and didn't want to deal with trying to have someone take custody of my firearm. Nice to see the LEO in your case handled it the way he did.

Heal up & get back on .
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Oh man, here's to a speedy recovery. Now this isn't something you should feel obligate to do, but..when you're all better, find out which fire/EMS agency it was, and stop by long enough to say hello. It's always lifted my spirits in this job when somebody comes around to inform us that we are doing decent work getting people on to the hospital in one piece. Sometimes we never hear back how a patient did in the long run.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Tru-Heathen wrote:Sorry to hear about your crash,but glad you're alive to talk about it. Yeah Harleys don't do well off road. Every time I've tried it since I started riding them in 1974 was epic!

Right before last Labor Day,ironically to check out a gun store, I was riding on SR95 through Marion,~ 25mph and wrecked my V-Rod when a car stopped ahead of me. I looked down at my gauges and when I looked up;there she was stopped waiting to turn into a side street. Avoided hitting her car but locked the Brembo brakes on my VRSCR and low-sided the bike,throwing me from it.

Fortunately,this one time, I listened to my intuition and put on my helmet and armored mesh jacket. I slid head first into the curb and ended up with minor abrasions to both knees, bruised chest and hip and a light concussion(3rd time I've had one) and what I first thought was a bruised shoulder but later was diagnosed as a broken collar bone.

I rode another 80 miles before heading home. Endorphins are good !

I'll be 65 this year...I'm getting too old for this falling off motorcycles crap.<--not the noun I'd usually use. :twisted:

Didn't call an ambulance,since I was armed as usual and didn't want to deal with trying to have someone take custody of my firearm. Nice to see the LEO in your case handled it the way he did.

Heal up & get back on .
Just turned 69 last month... not fun, have ridden most of my life. I am lucky it was muddy. Took a lot of saline to get the mud out of my eye. I had a half shell helmet on and a heavy leather jacket. Very happy about that.. MRI Thursday, :)
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
747tech

Post by 747tech »

Sounds very familiar to an accident a friend had. Riding on hi way and next thing he knew he woke up in the hospital. Witnesses said he just laid the bike down.
About that time Harley if I am not mistaken had a recall due to defective front anti lock brakes locking up.
May be worth a thought.
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor
evilspringer

Post by evilspringer »

Glad you around to tell about it.

Hope you heal up quick.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Sorry to hear about your crash, Steve, but glad you were not too seriously injured. Heal quickly.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Get well soon, Steve!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Steve, get well soon! Wow! Your guardian angel was with you for sure.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Yikes!

Get well soon!
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
QuackXP

Post by QuackXP »

I had a similar accident ten years ago. My best bet from fragments I can remember and looking at the crash site a couple day later is I got loose on some gravel. Stood the bike up a bit to get some traction then ran out of road trying to get the bike back over to make it out of the turn. Hard parts hit the ground and the tires washed out. I broke my shoulder in two places and my wrist. I was pretty much done riding for the season except for some demo rides during Vintage Days at Mid-Ohio. The bike I wrecked was only two months old to me and was a write-off and I had just sold my old bike a week before.

I hit a guard rail and was knocked clean out.

This was in OH and I did not have a CHL (even if they where available in spring of 2006).

In PA if your liberal friend did not have a LTCF (License to Carry Firearms) he would have not been able to be "loaned" your firearm and would not have been one of the exemptions allowed to transport a firearm without a licence. Hence had this happened in PA it would have been confiscated. There have been horror stores of having to go to court in PA to get the firearm back but I think most of the time you just need to go pick it up at the sheriffs office.
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Glad you're okay, Steve !!
MyWifeSaidYes
docachna

Post by docachna »

Scooters and I parted ways in about 1981, after I missed a cute little bunny rabbit by about 2" as he crossed the road in front of me, riding my Kawasaki at about 50. Coming at me in the other lane (thus why I couldn't swerve to miss him) was an ambulance running hot to a call.

Well, after I pulled over and cleaned off my seat, I realize that this was not for me. If Bugs was capable of taking me out, I simply didn't wanna do that any more.

Bike went up for sale the next day. Haven't regretted it since.

Glad to hear you are OK !
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE