What rights do we really have

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Monique

What rights do we really have

Post by Monique »

I am a licensed gun owner who got pulled over by law enforcement for suspected OVI. When they searched my vehicle, I was informed that my gun was in there. They found my gun loaded(1 round) in a holster, in a case and under the passenger seat. As I told the officer I didn't think my gun was in the vehicle. Anyway , now I am facing a 4th degree felony charge with no other record other than a few speeding tickets 10-15 years ago. with that being said, why is this a felony charge when I've seen people that face child endangerment get a misdemeanor charge. I am soo {inappropriate language} off about these damn laws.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: What rights do we really have

Post by WY_Not »

Get a good lawyer and don't talk about the incident with anyone else again till it is resolved.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Face

Post by Face »

WY_Not wrote:Get a good lawyer and don't talk about the incident with anyone else again till it is resolved.

Hopefully she takes your advice - but curious as to Whats a " licensed gun owner" in Ohio?
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Face wrote:curious as to Whats a " licensed gun owner" in Ohio?
I'm guessing the OP meant someone with a concealed handgun license.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

To the OP:

As already recommended, say nothing else in these forums or anywhere else. Get a good lawyer, preferably a pro-2A lawyer well versed in Ohio gun law.

And for reference, from ORC 2923.16:
(D) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle if, at the time of that transportation or possession, any of the following applies:

(1) The person is under the influence of alcohol, a drug of abuse, or a combination of them.

(2) The person's whole blood, blood serum or plasma, breath, or urine contains a concentration of alcohol, a listed controlled substance, or a listed metabolite of a controlled substance prohibited for persons operating a vehicle, as specified in division (A) of section 4511.19 of the Revised Code, regardless of whether the person at the time of the transportation or possession as described in this division is the operator of or a passenger in the motor vehicle.
The highlighted word could well be the thing that helps you in this, but that is something you should discuss with your lawyer.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Monique.....sorry for your situation.....hope it works out for you
BUT.....you must of been pie eyed drunk not to relize you had your gun in the car...suck it up...your fault...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

Monique wrote:I am a licensed gun owner who got pulled over by law enforcement for suspected OVI. When they searched my vehicle, I was informed that my gun was in there. They found my gun loaded(1 round) in a holster, in a case and under the passenger seat. As I told the officer I didn't think my gun was in the vehicle. Anyway , now I am facing a 4th degree felony charge with no other record other than a few speeding tickets 10-15 years ago. with that being said, why is this a felony charge when I've seen people that face child endangerment get a misdemeanor charge. I am soo {inappropriate language} off about these damn laws.
Another example of why it's not generally in someone's interest to consent to searches. Unless you're really certain you know what's in your car, "no" is usually a good response.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Monique wrote:I am a licensed gun owner who got pulled over by law enforcement for suspected OVI. When they searched my vehicle, I was informed that my gun was in there. They found my gun loaded(1 round) in a holster, in a case and under the passenger seat. As I told the officer I didn't think my gun was in the vehicle. Anyway , now I am facing a 4th degree felony charge with no other record other than a few speeding tickets 10-15 years ago. with that being said, why is this a felony charge when I've seen people that face child endangerment get a misdemeanor charge. I am soo {inappropriate language} off about these damn laws.
Suspected OVI or you were charged with OVI? Loaded handgun and OVI is bad news.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Or an empty gun suddenly with one round in it and one missing out of the officer's magazine who did the search....

I'm sure your lawyer will have the round examined and question what kind the local police use to look for similarities.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

What is a "licensed gun owner"? In Ohio, there is no licensing of gun owners but there are Concealed Handgun Licensees.

Good luck to you. PM me if you still need the name of a good attorney who is well-versed in firearms law.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
ArmyAndNavyVet

Post by ArmyAndNavyVet »

I second/third/fourth what the other folks said. STOP talking about this in a public forum immediately. That includes Facebook, etc. Speak ONLY to your attorney, who hopefully is very familiar and experienced with gun law as well as OVI. I personally am concerned at how a person would not know he had a gun in his car, especially under the seat. That's a bad, bad place to leave a gun when you're not in the car. Good luck with your situation.
NRA Distinguished Life Member
Viet Nam Combat Veteran, 1967-1968, I Corps (Army)
Beirut 1983 (Navy)
Lấy máu Nga Hoa mà hòa rượu đế
Lấy xác cộng xây cầu bên hải
Lấy râu cụ Hồ làm bàn chải đánh giầy
Chặt đầu việt cộng mà nấu canh chua
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

I will throw my support to having a firearm in the car and forgetting it is there. With the number of firearms that one may or may not have and the amount of shooting, I have been guilty of "oh hey, I do have a firearm in the car". Maybe I need to change my behavior, but its happened to me.
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
XDSC9G30

Post by XDSC9G30 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Monique.....sorry for your situation.....hope it works out for you
BUT.....you must of been pie eyed drunk not to relize you had your gun in the car...suck it up...your fault...
Did hell freeze over? I never agree with Carmen.

This time I do. A responsible gun owner/carrier knows exactly where that firearm is.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

The OP sounds like the kind of person that could forget about an infant in a car seat on a hot day!
This episode has FAIL written all over it! Suspected OVI.....allowed vehicle search.....FORGOTTEN gun under seat.....Gun loaded with ONE round.
Upset about the laws? Ought to be upset about the lack of common sense! Wonder how guns are secured at home? Lotsa DUH! here!
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Keep in mind they never said they consented to a search. A vehicle inventory search incident to arrest for an OVI is standard practice throughout Ohio and totally legal. Unfortunately, we've found many guns in that same method. I'm stuck if I agree or disagree with the law on that part, but it is the law to not drive under the influence and have a loaded handgun in the vehicle.

As for the knowingly...Per 2901.22 of the ORC...

A person acts knowingly, regardless of purpose, when the person is aware that the person's conduct will probably cause a certain result or will probably be of a certain nature. A person has knowledge of circumstances when the person is aware that such circumstances probably exist. When knowledge of the existence of a particular fact is an element of an offense, such knowledge is established if a person subjectively believes that there is a high probability of its existence and fails to make inquiry or acts with a conscious purpose to avoid learning the fact.

It doesn't really say you have to know, you just have to be aware that such circumstances probably exist. Ready to leave that up to a jury to decide? They then get to decide if you always kept a gun in the vehicle or not. Very risky and generally since most juries are hard on OVIs, they are even harder on OVIs with firearms in the vehicle.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.