What rights do we really have

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: What rights do we really have

Post by WY_Not »

Suspected OVI. OP was only arrested. They are still supposed to be considered innocent until they get their day in court to determine guilty or not guilty.
JediSkipdogg wrote:...since most juries are hard on OVIs, they are even harder on OVIs with firearms in the vehicle.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

OldManTod wrote:I will throw my support to having a firearm in the car and forgetting it is there. With the number of firearms that one may or may not have and the amount of shooting, I have been guilty of "oh hey, I do have a firearm in the car". Maybe I need to change my behavior, but its happened to me.
TSA frequently finds firearms & ammunition in carry on luggage. And this is where one expects to be searched. I'd say losing track of firearms/ammunition is not all that uncommon.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

I had to physically pull my wife away from putting her purse down on the table for the deputies to search going into a courthouse. I couldn't really explain to her since we were already inside the building. Her pistol had been in there long enough that she didn't even think about it. Besides, she was distracted about the whole situation (her grandson was being charged.)

I do not believe she has carried since that day.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

I guess I am a little confused. If this is charged as a CCW offense under 2912.12 it should be no more than a 1st degree misdemeanor. A charge under division A(2) is at most a minor misdemeanor for a CHL holder and then only if they don't have their license on them. A charge under B(1), failure to inform, is a 1st degree misdemeanor unless the officer had knowledge that she was a licensee before approaching the car which would drop it to a minor misdemeanor.
(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:

(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(C)(2) Division (A)(2) of this section does not apply to any person who, at the time of the alleged carrying or possession of a handgun, is carrying a valid concealed handgun license, unless the person knowingly is in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code.

(F)(2) If a person being arrested for a violation of division (A)(2) of this section promptly produces a valid concealed handgun license, and if at the time of the violation the person was not knowingly in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code, the officer shall not arrest the person for a violation of that division. If the person is not able to promptly produce any concealed handgun license and if the person is not in a place described in that section, the officer may arrest the person for a violation of that division, and the offender shall be punished as follows:

(a) The offender shall be guilty of a minor misdemeanor if both of the following apply:

(i) Within ten days after the arrest, the offender presents a concealed handgun license, which license was valid at the time of the arrest to the law enforcement agency that employs the arresting officer.

(ii) At the time of the arrest, the offender was not knowingly in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code

(B) No person who has been issued a concealed handgun license shall do any of the following:

(1) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun, fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun;

(F)(3) Except as otherwise provided in this division, carrying concealed weapons in violation of division (B)(1) of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree, and, in addition to any other penalty or sanction imposed for a violation of division (B)(1) of this section, the offender's concealed handgun license shall be suspended pursuant to division (A)(2) of section 2923.128 of the Revised Code. If, at the time of the stop of the offender for a law enforcement purpose that was the basis of the violation, any law enforcement officer involved with the stop had actual knowledge that the offender has been issued a concealed handgun license, carrying concealed weapons in violation of division (B)(1) of this section is a minor misdemeanor, and the offender's concealed handgun license shall not be suspended pursuant to division (A)(2) of section 2923.128 of the Revised Code.
If she was charged under 2923.16, improper handling for under the influence, the most I see is a possible 5th degree felony under D(1) since the gun was not on the "person's person" and a failure to inform would carry the same 1st degree/minor misdemeanor charge under 2923.12
(D) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle if, at the time of that transportation or possession, any of the following applies:

(1) The person is under the influence of alcohol, a drug of abuse, or a combination of them.

(I) Whoever violates this section is guilty of improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle. Violation of division (A) of this section is a felony of the fourth degree. Violation of division (C) of this section is a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. A violation of division (D) of this section is a felony of the fifth degree or, if the loaded handgun is concealed on the person's person, a felony of the fourth degree.
Am I missing something?
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Some thoughts ...
  • The OP may not have a concealed handgun license. Some people think they are "licensed" because they filled out a Form 4473 and got a gun.
  • Perhaps the OP was not only stopped for OVI but was also arrested for OVI. Then there may not be a need to consent to a search; it might be a search incident to arrest, or it might be an inventory search.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

^^^ Zachary.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

pirateguy191 wrote:^^^ Zachary.
What?
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

"Exactly".
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Gaspode wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:^^^ Zachary.
What?
I see what you did there. ^
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;