I knew better than to stop for gas that time of night

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: I knew better than to stop for gas that time of night

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Mustang380gal wrote:...

MWSY:
So you are saying with the quick release things that even if I have the little plate propped so that I don't have to hold the nozzle, if I leave the hose in my car, get in and make a quick exit, I'd drag the hose, but the gas will stop flowing. Then I can call 911 from the safety of my car, and be somewhere less threatening.
Notwithstanding the tactical use of the gas pump, as deanimator and charlieJ mention, yes, the fuel will stop flowing from both sides of the breakaway valve. It will still flow into your tank, but it wouldn't flow onto the road unless the handle dropped out of your car filler neck.
MyWifeSaidYes
sog711

Post by sog711 »

Evan, what was the closest he got to you during this whole ordeal. Do you think pepper spray or something like that would have been helpful in this situation?

I had a guy approach me at a gas pump, I told him NO. He said I didn't ask you anything. I told him I knew what he was going to ask me. He then offered to give me a $50 gift card to a restaurant if I'd pump $30 of fuel for him. He said his credit card wouldn't work. I told him "sorry bud can't help you" and he stormed off cussing. This guy got a little closer than I'd like but it wasn't anything close to what you experienced.
Qfac

Post by Qfac »

So for the sake of education and to back up what WMSY is stating, I will admit to doing this bonehead thing one time.

Normal days travels to work would have me stopping each morning for a morning caffeinated drink at a gas station near the office. Now my truck's gas tank is on the drivers side so if I need gas I start the pump and head into the store, never an issue. One time I drove the wife's car and the tank is on the other side, I needed both gas and a Redbull that morning.... Yep I started the pump and went in and got my drink had a conversation with the clerk and then I came out hopped in the car and drove away!!! Yep with the pump nozzle still in the car.... I heard the pop of the hose coupler and instantly knew what I had done, I felt like a idiot. Good news is I got out and reattached the hose, closed up the tank and went on to work. Not a drop of gas on the ground.
NRA Endowment Life Member

"Every late-19th-century legal scholar that we have read interpreted the Second Amendment to secure an individual right unconnected with militia service." -- U.S. Supreme Court, June 26, 2008.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

evan price wrote:
CroManGun wrote: He appears to be telling you and showing you that he is unarmed and means you no harm. How close would you let him approach before openly drawing on him? What would he have to do or say to make you openly draw on him? What would your justification be for such action?
I told him I didn't want to talk to him or help him. He continued to advance on me despite being told bit to. He made verbal threats. He continued to approach me acting in an irrational and threatening manner. My line was the gas pump. If he refused to stop and came between the pumps that was the line.
I can see the headline now, "Unarmed Hearing Disabled-PTSD Homeless War Vet Shot While Approaching Gas Pumper."

I guess I'm living on borrowed time. I've survived a few (at least six) incidents where I approached people, some armed, and gave them a piece of my mind. A few of my wives that witnessed such encounters swore that I had a death wish. I eased their fears by reminding them that my life insurance and the money they would get from suing the shooter would keep them in Prada purses and Louboutin shoes long after their implants succumbed to the effects of gravity.

It's situations like this that should provoke some deep thought about the aftermath of one's actions in response to a "threat" such as has been described by evan.
Don't forget about the possibility of witnesses and the increasing number of surveillance cameras; are they going to back up your version of events?
If the game plan is to shoot someone because they're getting in your face about something, someone could end up with some serious 'splaining to do.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

CroManGun wrote:
evan price wrote:
CroManGun wrote: He appears to be telling you and showing you that he is unarmed and means you no harm. How close would you let him approach before openly drawing on him? What would he have to do or say to make you openly draw on him? What would your justification be for such action?
I told him I didn't want to talk to him or help him. He continued to advance on me despite being told bit to. He made verbal threats. He continued to approach me acting in an irrational and threatening manner. My line was the gas pump. If he refused to stop and came between the pumps that was the line.
I can see the headline now, "Unarmed Hearing Disabled-PTSD Homeless War Vet Shot While Approaching Gas Pumper."
Cro, I think you're reaching a little there my friend. Way, way, way more likely this guy was a full-time professional bum. Maybe with some mental issues, maybe not. They don't care. The more "assertive" ones will continue to advance, even when told to keep their distance. They don't care, it's not like they have anything to fear. if 5% of the eligible adult population in Ohio has a CHL, I bet it's not more than 20% of those carry on anything like a regular basis. (Just this week I called out two acquaintances for being so lax in the matter, but that's a topic for another thread.)

So, these erstwhile street opportunists aren't that concerned about being shot, and of course they know what jail is all about and it doesn't scare them.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

Brian D. wrote: He appears to be telling you and showing you that he is unarmed and means you no harm. How close would you let him approach before openly drawing on him? What would he have to do or say to make you openly draw on him? What would your justification be for such action?

So, these erstwhile street opportunists aren't that concerned about being shot, and of course they know what jail is all about and it doesn't scare them.[/quote]

They REALLY don't want to get burned!
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

You got the quotes a little mixed up there, Charlie. But for clarity on my earlier post: I stated that about 5% of the eligible adults in Ohio have gotten a carry license, but not that many of them have the gun with them on any regular basis. So it makes it about 1 out of 100 chance that those street hustlers, downtrodden, whatever-you-call-them will run across an armed good guy. You know, further pondering makes even that number seem too high.

********************************************************************************
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

Brian D. wrote:You got the quotes a little mixed up there, Charlie. But for clarity on my earlier post: I stated that about 5% of the eligible adults in Ohio have gotten a carry license, but not that many of them have the gun with them on any regular basis. So it makes it about 1 out of 100 chance that those street hustlers, downtrodden, whatever-you-call-them will run across an armed good guy. You know, further pondering makes even that number seem too high.
There is a limit on embedded quotes and I was trying to remove some of the quotes and left some parts behind. :oops:
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

No problem Charlie. 8)

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

"Do you think I'm afraid to DIE, mother f------?! Do you REALLY think pointing your little gun at me SCARES me, you f-------- piece of s---? You gonna have to empty that clip to kill me, mother f------, and I'm gonna get to you and cut your f-------- throat before I go down...mother f--------."

No.

They are NOT afraid of being shot.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

CroManGun wrote:...
It's situations like this that should provoke some deep thought about the aftermath of one's actions in response to a "threat" such as has been described by evan...
Every scenario is different.

Some guy getting out of his car to yell at me for cutting him off? I'm probably not going to fear for my life as he probably doesn't want to take any of my possessions.

Some guy approaching me at 2am while I'm alone, with no one else around, AND he won't stop approaching when I tell him to? How much 'help' do you think this guy wanted? If YOU want to offer him solace and comfort and a warm place to sleep, go for it.

I'll visit you in the hospital.
MyWifeSaidYes
westsidebestside

Post by westsidebestside »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:"Do you think I'm afraid to DIE, mother f------?! Do you REALLY think pointing your little gun at me SCARES me, you f-------- piece of s---? You gonna have to empty that clip to kill me, mother f------, and I'm gonna get to you and cut your f-------- throat before I go down...mother f--------."
"Magazine"

Bang.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I'm going to do my best to stop a threat of a unarmed person that wants to do me harm..and if I know I am out classed in size and age I will Deffinitly try my best not to use lethal force...that's not saying I won't fire my weapon....It's pretty scary pointing your gun at someone that keeps threatening you...and is bigger and younger then you....the choice by the mooch is leave, stand there and continue to yell, or attack and pay the consiquence..In my case the idiot stood there and continued to threaten me right up to the time LE rolled up...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:"Do you think I'm afraid to DIE, mother f------?! Do you REALLY think pointing your little gun at me SCARES me, you f-------- piece of s---? You gonna have to empty that clip to kill me, mother f------, and I'm gonna get to you and cut your f-------- throat before I go down...mother f--------."

No.

They are NOT afraid of being shot.
Bullet wounds are trophies for the hardcore gangbangers.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Seek out opportunities to do Force on Force simulation training.
Get together with some buddies if that's what it takes. Take all safety concerns seriously while doing this type of training.

Those who have been to various fun and gun events and taken part in such training will tell you, it's a very unique opportunity that lends itself to things you just never think about.

Live fire training typically cannot provide you with such an experience.

Thanks for sharing this story Evan.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;