I knew better than to stop for gas that time of night

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: I knew better than to stop for gas that time of night

Post by WestonDon »

gaptrick wrote:Evan... Had you not been armed that morning, would you have still shopped for gas and gone to that "questionable" area?

Though "Tweed's Iron Triangle" is something to follow, I must say that I believe I subconsciously feel the triangle a bit tamer than I should when armed. Although in reality, I know it not to be the case.

Being armed changes NOTHING in the environment, but will offer me a FALSE sense of security.

I am glad you were armed regardless of your answer....
Very good point. I can't recall ever going somewhere because I'm armed that I wouldn't go unarmed but I have been places I felt much more comfortable being armed.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

In the past I will admit to going to places armed that I wouldn't have gone to unarmed, but that was work related. I didn't have a false sense of security just because I was armed, but being armed increased my odds of survival if a serious encounter occurred.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

gaptrick wrote:Evan... Had you not been armed that morning, would you have still shopped for gas and gone to that "questionable" area?

Though "Tweed's Iron Triangle" is something to follow, I must say that I believe I subconsciously feel the triangle a bit tamer than I should when armed. Although in reality, I know it not to be the case.

Being armed changes NOTHING in the environment, but will offer me a FALSE sense of security.

I am glad you were armed regardless of your answer....
Yeah, I would have. Guns are not the only means of protection, just a convenient one. Fire extinguishers are my usual method of defense. :mrgreen:
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

evan price wrote:Yeah, I would have. Guns are not the only means of protection, just a convenient one. Fire extinguishers are my usual method of defense. :mrgreen:
Were YOU the guy who brained my armorer in the Camp Howze Enlisted Men's Club and dumped him in a snowdrift? :D
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

GlockMan27 wrote:Your call reminds me of a situation I was in a couple years ago when I called 911. I was in town and an issue arose where I needed to call for the police and a squad. After making the call from my cell phone and starting to explain the need for assistance, the dispatcher, hearing where I was, forwarded my call to another center. I was beyond frustrated with the delay and having to talk to two different dispatchers during an emergency call.
I have learned here locally, the first thing they ask is "Where is your emergency". They don't want an address, they mean 'WHAT STATE ARE YOU IN?" Our 911 calls are answered in Kentucky and the best answer is "Brown County (Ohio)". It takes a few seconds to get transferred.

FWIW, I have also programmed our local 911's non emergency number on my phone for things like down trees or telephone poles blocking roads, etc.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

OhioPaints wrote:I have learned here locally, the first thing they ask is "Where is your emergency". They don't want an address, they mean 'WHAT STATE ARE YOU IN?" Our 911 calls are answered in Kentucky and the best answer is "Brown County (Ohio)". It takes a few seconds to get transferred.

FWIW, I have also programmed our local 911's non emergency number on my phone for things like down trees or telephone poles blocking roads, etc.
I've called while driving on US 77 before. I always start with which county I am in, and the approximate mile marker or the nearest exit. At least once they had to transfer me to the right place.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
QuackXP

Post by QuackXP »

When things like this happen because I should have been more responsible I just pay what I call the "idiot tax" and would fill up where its safe, instead of driving to a unsafe area to save $0.20 per gal. Lets say you have a truck so maybe you are saving $6-7 on a fillup. Next time pay the "idiot tax" or fill up earlier.

As a matter of general principal I try not to get below 1/4 of a tank, because you just never know what might come up.
deanimator wrote:
evan price wrote:5. When seconds count, the police may be minutes or a phone robot away.
And that's why "you don't need a gun"...

I once called 911 to report somebody passed out in a gutter. I gave a full report to the 911 operator... who passed me on to ANOTHER 911 operator to make the SAME full report. The latter, to whom I'll refer as "Kelly Bundy", needed a five minute dissertation regarding the difference between a gutter in the street and a gutter on the roof.
I once called 911 and it rang for a minute and then I got a voice mailbox. Good thing it was to report some nasty black ice.
Diligentia Vis Celeritas