I knew better than to stop for gas that time of night

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: I knew better than to stop for gas that time of night

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Will the Shell station make you a copy of any video they have of the ... interaction?
MyWifeSaidYes
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Just a couple thoughts as I read the anecdote:

1) In a public place like a gas station, there are likely to be cameras. Said cameras may only have video capabilities. With that in mind, it could have been a good idea to be very demonstrative in your gestures. Had the situation gone sideways and you were forced to defend - you want to be able to point to that video of the encounter to put your narrative to it. Seeing the motions like putting your hand up, palm out (to indicate 'Stop') or you starting to back away as he approached - helps you remember what was going on, as well as gives some weight to your claim of defense.

2) I don't recall that you mentioned where his hands were at during the verbal confrontation - other than raising his shirt. The hands you can't see are the hands that will kill you.

At the end of it all, you kept it from going sideways. Any encounter that ends without having it go sideways is a good one in my book.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

JustaShooter wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:Dino...That's easy for you to do with the face you have.....I'm to pretty for that look... :)
Time for a new mirror, Carmen... :mrgreen:
I don't know about that. It sounds like he's got a mirror I'd like to have.
I don't care if it tells me I'm not the fairest in the land, I just want it to tell me I'm on that side of the bell curve.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

deanimator wrote:
Brian D. wrote:How far north do the city buses run now? That helps establish hood zone parameters. Often as not--best I can tell--the metro transit authorities don't throw riders off when they refuse to pay, it's much trouble with little benefit, so it is basically free for the "less fortunate" to be transported miles out from the urban cores, and back.
When I was living in Chiraq, I once saw a bus driver offer a wino a free ride in return for throwing another disruptive wino off the bus. The wino then dutifully knocked the other wino down, grabbing him by the cuffs of his pants and dragged him off the bus, the evictee's head bumping each of the the steps on the way down and out. The wino got back on and got his free ride.
It was probably better for the disruptive wino that the bus driver handled it that way. If the driver had called the cops, who knows what would've happened. :roll:
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Last time the wifey and I went to Vegas she got a hankering to go to California, just to say she'd been. So we took a drive south down I-15 for the 40 or so minutes it takes to get there. As we turned around at the first exit I decided it was as good a time as any to gas up the car so we stopped. I didn't expect any trouble since it was bright and sunny at two in the afternoon. Be that as it may we more or less ran into the same situation you did but dialing 911 in that section of San Bernardino County is just marginally above worthless. Needless to say I wound up pulling the nozzle out of the car with one hand while being ready to grab my Glock with the other.

My wife was so rattled that we had to stop as soon as we got back into Nevada, so we pulled into Whiskey Pete's where she gambled a dollar on slots and turned it into $9.56 before cashing out. :lol:

Glad everything worked out for you! You can (and should) always critique your tactics and what could have been done better, but if at the end of the day you make it home safely then it's a tick in the win column.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

evan price wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote: So how many Tacos did you get ? :)
Combo, 2 chalupas, 1 soft taco
And a large Mt Dew Baja Blast.

Shouldn't have stopped. Shouldn't have left the pump running. Figured the guy would back down once he knew I wasn't a mark. By the time it went sideways it was too late.
The moment the guy stepped out if the car lot the little voice in my head said "told you so."
The rest of the encounter part of my brain is wondering what I tell my boss about why I didn't come back from break, if I had to shoot this guy.
He appears to be telling you and showing you that he is unarmed and means you no harm. How close would you let him approach before openly drawing on him? What would he have to do or say to make you openly draw on him? What would your justification be for such action?
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

TRAINING ALERT !!

DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE FRICKIN' FUEL HOSE !!

PLEASE do NOT burn into your mind the idea that you have to finish your transaction prior to escaping from a dangerous situation !!

Folks, the next time you visit the gas station, take a look at the fuel hoses on the pumps. Near the top of the hose, or wherever it connects to the pump, you'll see a connector in the hose (silver & white in the picture below). That is a BREAK-AWAY SHUTOFF VALVE.

They are required by law, so don't worry that your gas station doesn't have one:
Ohio Fire Code 2206.7.5.1 - Emergency breakaway devices.
Dispenser hoses for Class I and II liquids shall be equipped with a listed emergency breakaway device designed to retain liquid on both sides of a breakaway point. Such devices shall be installed and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. Where hoses are attached to hose-retrieving mechanisms, the emergency breakaway device shall be located between the hose nozzle and the point of attachment of the hose-retrieval mechanism to the hose.

If you need to GO, then GO !!!!
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

CroManGun wrote: He appears to be telling you and showing you that he is unarmed and means you no harm.
Criminals lie.
CroManGun wrote:How close would you let him approach before openly drawing on him?
Distance is irrelevant. In this scenario (alone, deserted location, 2am) I would draw my handgun to my side when he refused to stop approaching me for the second time. I would go to low ready at around 50 feet.

If I saw a non-firearm weapon or if I saw a second person, I would get back in the car and drive away.

If I saw a firearm, I would draw a bead on center mass. If he's not running at me by then, I would warn him that I will shoot.
CroManGun wrote:What would he have to do or say to make you openly draw on him?
Not get away when I tell him to get away.
CroManGun wrote:What would your justification be for such action?
Fear for my life.
MyWifeSaidYes
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

For me I doubt it would be worth the risk to stop in a location I know is questionable just to save $0.06 a gallon in gas.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
CroManGun wrote: He appears to be telling you and showing you that he is unarmed and means you no harm.
Criminals lie.
That was my thought, too. So he had nothing visible in a waistband, but how big were his pockets? What about Thunderwear or other deep concealment bands?

"What does it have in its pocketses, my precioussss?"

MWSY:
So you are saying with the quick release things that even if I have the little plate propped so that I don't have to hold the nozzle, if I leave the hose in my car, get in and make a quick exit, I'd drag the hose, but the gas will stop flowing. Then I can call 911 from the safety of my car, and be somewhere less threatening.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:TRAINING ALERT !!

DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE FRICKIN' FUEL HOSE !![/i][/b]
Actually, (especially in Chiraq) I care VERY MUCH about the fuel hose.

That's a powerful chemical weapon you're holding in your hand. Don't rule out its use in your defense.

When I'm unarmed in Chiraq and pumping gas, I'm ALWAYS prepared to drench an assailant in gasoline.

The same goes here even when I'm carrying a gun.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

:roll: I was on I75 coming North out of Cincinnati when I noticed a drunk driver. I called 911 and it took 15 minutes for me to finally get through all of the switching before I talked to the State police. by that time, the driver had chased 4 cars off the road and exited the highway. I gave the description of the car and the last 4 numbers of the tag and was told that they would look for him. I said "good luck" and hung up.

I was very frustrated!
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

deanimator wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:TRAINING ALERT !!

DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE FRICKIN' FUEL HOSE !![/i][/b]
Actually, (especially in Chiraq) I care VERY MUCH about the fuel hose.

That's a powerful chemical weapon you're holding in your hand. Don't rule out its use in your defense.

When I'm unarmed in Chiraq and pumping gas, I'm ALWAYS prepared to drench an assailant in gasoline.

The same goes here even when I'm carrying a gun.
I actually sprayed some on the ground once when a crazy guy came at me in Middletown, Oh, once. The guy stopped when I showed him a book of matches. The owner came out and threatened me about causing a BIO spill.
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Like I said in my prior post...My actions and visual response would be my hand on my holstered gun and for the free loader to see it...for me too get in my car and leave would take a bit of time..my gas cap is on the opposite side of the driver door..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

CroManGun wrote: He appears to be telling you and showing you that he is unarmed and means you no harm. How close would you let him approach before openly drawing on him? What would he have to do or say to make you openly draw on him? What would your justification be for such action?
I told him I didn't want to talk to him or help him. He continued to advance on me despite being told bit to. He made verbal threats. He continued to approach me acting in an irrational and threatening manner. My line was the gas pump. If he refused to stop and came between the pumps that was the line.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.