Butler County Sheriff +A+

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Victory Bill

Butler County Sheriff +A+

Post by Victory Bill »

Two points.
First: I took my paperwork and $67.00 to the Butler County Sheriff's office on a Thursday, got the call to come and get my CCW/CCL the next Tuesday...only 5 days, 3 if you only count business days!! I was ecstatic!! :D
Second: My wife and I took the kids to Jump & Jacks for some indoor playtime on a chilly day last week. Second time to visit this place, it is great for our 6,4,& soon to be 3 year old. The first time we went, I didn't carry because I figured they'd be posted like Chuck E Cheese and so many other places that cater to young children. However, they were not posted, so on this particular visit I did carry. We left at closing and on our way home we stopped at a UDF for some drinks (no, not that kind). While I was digging through the cooler for the kids' drinks, a Butler County Sheriff's Deputy came in. First time for me to be in this situation. I took all the drinks to the counter and the Sheriff's Deputy got in line behind me. I paid for my goods and went to the Suburban. When I got in, my wife suggested we ask the Deputy to come out and speak to our oldest (6 in case you missed it above). We have had issues with him taking candy and cookies at the house without asking. He wakes up early in the morning, climbs up on the counter to get to the goods on top of the fridge. Anyway, I kinda hemmed and hawed about it because I wasn't really sure how to deal with the notification thing. Plus, my wife was going to ask the Deputy and she's from the Middle East so she has that accent, etc, etc, etc. I put myself in the Deputy's shoes for a moment and tried to imagine how I would react. I had a lot swirling around in my head, including the kids in the back wanting their drinks. Finally, I conceded to my better half and said ok. Immediately, she bolted inside the UDF and pulled the Deputy to the side. After a few moments, she came back out, got into the truck and told me to sit still, the Deputy was going to talk to our boy. As he was making his way to the door of UDF, I got out of the truck and approached him to notify. It was a situation where I just wanted to have the feeling that I was playing on the safe side. Was the encounter for official police business? Was it not??? To me, it was a grey area and I wanted to be 100% sure I wasn't going to jeopardize my recently acquired license. Anyway, I notified him, he blew it off, not in an insulting way but in a way like he was saying "no problem." He told me he was going to put his drink in his cruiser, parked two spots down with no car between ours'. So, I get back in and wait. Now, my soon to be 3 year old princess sits behind me on the driver's side, the captain's chair behind the front passenger seat is folded forward and the 4 and 6 year old boys sit in the back row. I have to set the scene because it was hilarious. The Deputy tapped on the back passenger window, and I lowered it from the front. He stuck his head in the opening and asked "who is Justin?" As soon as that name came out of his mouth, the four year old points to his left at Justin and the princess starts pointing behind her. It was too freaking funny. The Deputy, seeing the other two, looked at Justin and asked him if he was Justin to which he answered yes. The deputy asked him to step out of the vehicle...first time for Justin, first time for me when I wasn't the one being addressed :D. He hesitated so I turned around and told him to do exactly what the police officer tells him to do (he was so nervous). Justin unbuckled and went to the door, the Deputy opened it for him and he got out. The Deputy knelt down and gave him about a 3 minute speech about stealing stuff, not listening, and setting the example for his younger brother and sister. I could not have been more pleased with the whole day, as a matter of fact, that made my day...Justin got some exposure to the police...in a semi-good way and hopefully learned a little bit. Anyway...just thought I would post it...going to write Sheriff Jones an email/letter to applaud this young Deputy.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
wls

Re: Butler County Sheriff +A+

Post by wls »

That's a great story and lesson for your son. We moved to Butler County 1 1/2 years ago and heard the Sheriffs Department was a good one and pro second amendment. Good to hear stories like this after all the stuff LEOs are going through today.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

If I was the kid, I'd keep pilfering the cookies in the hope that I'd eventually get to meet the SWAT team and maybe even the FBI or Homeland Security! :roll:
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

I flagged down a police car from my car the other day in our neighborhood because
I wanted them to tell my neighbor to quit riding 3 year olds around the streets, especially with no helmet.
The officer pulled over and I approached the passenger side as that's the direction I was coming from and she rolled down that window as I was approaching.
Had a nice conversation. I did not notify because I was NOT stopped for a law enforcement purpose.
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

WeinerDog wrote: I wanted them to tell my neighbor to quit riding 3 year olds around the streets, especially with no helmet.
Them poor kid's backs must be hurting carrying a adult around like that! :lol: and it's a good thing you want him to wear a helmet, what if those kids fell and he went flying onto the asphalt head first. :mrgreen:
Mr.Bill you did fine, sometimes a kid will listen to another adult better then listening to their parents.
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

DOA33 wrote:
WeinerDog wrote: I wanted them to tell my neighbor to quit riding 3 year olds around the streets, especially with no helmet.
Them poor kid's backs must be hurting carrying a adult around like that! :lol: and it's a good thing you want him to wear a helmet, what if those kids fell and he went flying onto the asphalt head first. :mrgreen:
Mr.Bill you did fine, sometimes a kid will listen to another adult better then listening to their parents.
Kind of like when the wife will accept instructions from others more quickly then from the hubby! :roll:
Abandon ye all HOPE!
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

Doa33,
HaHa, I guess I forgot to mention the atv part. My post was addressing my pet peeve of notifying in unnecessary situations. This wasn't as bad as most like people who turn around in line to tell the cop behind them that they're carrying.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

WeinerDog wrote:Doa33,
HaHa, I guess I forgot to mention the atv part. My post was addressing my pet peeve of notifying in unnecessary situations. This wasn't as bad as most like people who turn around in line to tell the cop behind them that they're carrying.
I had just the opposite situation occur. I went to get in line at a register inside a Speedway gas station. I was open carrying a .45 on my right hip. Happened to get in line behind a policewoman that was about a foot shorter than me ( I'm 6'1"). She was looking around and turned to see who was behind her. She saw my gun. Never saw a person turn pale so fast! She stepped back and bumped the person in front of her. She got so flustered, I thought she was going to wet herself! I told her to be careful and wished her a good day. She spent the next few minutes in line turned sideways with an eye on me until she left.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Some of us have opined that if we could get ALL Ohio CHL holders to notify to that extent, maybe the police administrations and high level union representatives would beg the Statehouse to rip that provision out of the law once and for all. We could even get Thee Ohio Highway Patrol behind us if we put together OFCC bus trips, and got the driver to speed past one of the staties running radar on the interstate. Cop would pull us over, and, speaking slowly, one by one, stuttering a bit for effect, we'd all individually notify.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
docachna

Post by docachna »

Brian D. wrote:
WeinerDog wrote:

Some of us have opined that if we could get ALL Ohio CHL holders to notify to that extent, maybe the police administrations and high level union representatives would beg the Statehouse to rip that provision out of the law once and for all. We could even get Thee Ohio Highway Patrol behind us if we put together OFCC bus trips, and got the driver to speed past one of the staties running radar on the interstate. Cop would pull us over, and, speaking slowly, one by one, stuttering a bit for effect, we'd all individually notify.
:P

It would be worth it if the video of the stop ended up on YouTube.

I'll help with production................ :P
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

CroManGun wrote:
I had just the opposite situation occur. I went to get in line at a register inside a Speedway gas station. I was open carrying a .45 on my right hip. Happened to get in line behind a policewoman that was about a foot shorter than me ( I'm 6'1"). She was looking around and turned to see who was behind her. She saw my gun. Never saw a person turn pale so fast! She stepped back and bumped the person in front of her. She got so flustered, I thought she was going to wet herself! I told her to be careful and wished her a good day. She spent the next few minutes in line turned sideways with an eye on me until she left.

Sure it wasn't your mug and not that sleek .45? :lol:
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

wls wrote:That's a great story and lesson for your son. We moved to Butler County 1 1/2 years ago and heard the Sheriffs Department was a good one and pro second amendment. Good to hear stories like this after all the stuff LEOs are going through today.
I live in BC and have great respect for our SO and their appreciation of the 2A. If only that would have extended to his willingness to be a CLEO signoff on a NFA weapon I wanted 2 years ago.... :evil:
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

As a father of 7 this story is definitely something I can relate to. In addition to that, I know a guy who has been working with his local school district to try and set up a school safety program against rouge shooters. He got some A+ help from the Butler County Sheriff. He is a real stand up for the citizens guy.
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it."
docachna

Post by docachna »

AmendII71 wrote: ... I know a guy who has been working with his local school district to try and set up a school safety program against rouge shooters. ...
Are those criminals who pack on tons of make-up before they........awwww, never mind........ :P
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

docachna wrote:
AmendII71 wrote: ... I know a guy who has been working with his local school district to try and set up a school safety program against rouge shooters. ...
Are those criminals who pack on tons of make-up before they........awwww, never mind........ :P

What? Like you've never heard of killer clowns. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/