Mowrystown PD (Highland Co) A+

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bearkitty

Mowrystown PD (Highland Co) A+

Post by bearkitty »

Props to LEO Powers that pulled me over on SR321 this evening. I don't think he was County because he was blue & white, not County colors, but the town only reports 1 LEO? I'll have to see if I can find out.

Apparently I took the "End Speed Zone" sign a little too soon and broke 46 before 35 technically ends.

He chirped me as he lit me up. I thought he just wanted to pass....obviously I pulled over. So did he.

He politely explained that the townsfolk were complaining about people 'gassing' too soon in that particular stretch of road, and this was just a friendly reminder. Warmer weather ahead and kids out and about and all. I apologized and explained that I had never been there before and promised to be more careful my next time thru. He took my license so he could make record of the stop. He didn't ask for registration (WHY do they do that anyway???? Doesn't my plate match the car???) but he did ask who owned the car. It's my husband's name on the car.

A few minutes pass and he comes back to my window. As he's handing my DL back he asks if I have my gun. I answer, "no sir, I do not...." As I trail off trying to decide exactly where this is headed, he cuts me off to explain that he's Military and is always happy when a CHL comes up and wanted to make sure I knew to notify when armed. I reassured him that I knew my end of the law and thanked him for knowing his.

As to why I was unarmed - I had just left a school event and was headed to God's country to look at a house we might buy. I didn't have time to stop at home after leaving school. It's too bad the house left too much to be desired. I could totally live there :D
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
Bama.45

Re: Mowrystown PD (Highland Co) A+

Post by Bama.45 »

Sounds like a good experience over all!... I wish notification would go the way of the dodo bird.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

bearkitty wrote:...As to why I was unarmed...
I'm just glad he was a real cop.

:shock:
MyWifeSaidYes
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
bearkitty wrote:...As to why I was unarmed...
I'm just glad he was a real cop.

:shock:
Hehe yeah. Getting pulled over by a predatory, police impersonator. That's something an unattractive, middle-aged guy like myself probably doesn't have to worry too much about. :mrgreen:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Pretty easy to be "gassing" too soon coming out of some of these smaller towns and cities. Corp. limits extend way out into the bean fields in some cases. A real revenue source for some.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Waynesville does that fairly often heading out of town on U.S. 42, especially going towards Lebanon. I've never been stopped but have seen it happen to others.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Brian D. wrote:Waynesville does that fairly often heading out of town on U.S. 42, especially going towards Lebanon. I've never been stopped but have seen it happen to others.
That stretch of 42 begs to be a 65mph zone, up til red Stewart airfield.
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

TJW815 wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Waynesville does that fairly often heading out of town on U.S. 42, especially going towards Lebanon. I've never been stopped but have seen it happen to others.

I've done that a few times without realizing how fast I was going.

A LEO flashed me and then did a U-turn and left me screaming down the road to a more urgent call and I slowly left the scene! :shock:
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

TJW815 wrote:
Well, they did raise the speed limit on the rural parts of US 42 in Warren/Greene Counties from 55 to 60 mph. And Waynesville is now 50 instead of 45. Progress...

********************************************************************************
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

What does the actual law state regarding when the new speed limit takes effect...? when you see it or when you pass it?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Brian D. wrote:
TJW815 wrote:
Well, they did raise the speed limit on the rural parts of US 42 in Warren/Greene Counties from 55 to 60 mph. And Waynesville is now 50 instead of 45. Progress...
Follow 73 out to Wilmington and they raised it to 65 for about 5-10 miles.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

gaptrick wrote:What does the actual law state regarding when the new speed limit takes effect...? when you see it or when you pass it?
If they wanted the speed limit to change when you are still 100 yards away from the sign, wouldn't they have put the sign 100 yards closer?

:roll:

In all honesty, I'm too tired to check and see if the ORC says anything about this.
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I've watched judges in municipal court during trials tell defendants (and their lawyers) that the speed limit starts right where the sign is, not before or after. I guess they could have been just stating a personal opinion, but probably they were citing ORC language, or at least previous, settled cases as precedent.