Pit bull in my Yard

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WeinerDog

Pit bull in my Yard

Post by WeinerDog »

So yesterday I'm outside with my dogs ( two dachshunds who never leave the yard ) and all of a sudden they sprint around the hedge into my neighbors yard ( she died last Friday so empty ) barking like crazy. I run around the hedge and see a pit bull running toward them.
Now to be honest, she was excited and growling but was wearing a harness with some pink on it and wasn't showing teeth. I start screaming at my dogs and they run back into my yard ( city lots so we're talking a few yards ) with the pit still coming towards us by this time. It would go at them and then me. I'm backing up the whole time and finally it was close enough to me I pulled my Glock 42 and was preparing to fire.
I was screaming at my dogs the whole time and pointing my gun so I'm glad my neighborhood is desolate throughout the work day. I finally got the dachshunds and me into the breezeway when I see are car come slowly around the corner. The lady was obviously looking for that dog. She got out and the dog started to take off but she hollared and was able to grab the harness.
I told her," lady I almost shot your dog". She's like " please don't do that ". I told her I watch at least two court shows a week where a pit has mauled small dogs. I eventually approached her dog when she said it was a sweetheart and it was. I asked if she knew the laws in our town pertaining to pit bulls ( which are really an attempt to ban ) and she said she did. She said they recently rescued the dog.
I'm glad I carry everyday, everywhere. Between getting hacked up in a restaurant or beaten by BLM idiots you never know.
I shared this more for people who don't think they need to carry in their yard. I'm not looking for a critique concerning my dogs being leashed and I know that you the law says you can't shoot to protect your dogs or cats but these are my babies and even if an animal is not threatening me, if it is going to harm them it will be shot.
I didn't call the police because I'm confident no one saw my gun and the lady was so apologetic but her one " get out of jail card " is used up.
Tru-Heathen

Re: Pit bull in my Yard

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Glad to hear that your "property" wasn't damaged.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

So, now SHE calls the police and tells them a story about the guy who pulled a gun on her and her poor, little puppy.

I would call and report the incident just for the sake of reporting it.
MyWifeSaidYes
ArmyAndNavyVet

Post by ArmyAndNavyVet »

Definitely call the police and report the stray pit bull. Also, give them all the information you have about her, including her license plate number, if you thought to write it down. Pit bull owners need to be put on official notice that it's not okay for such a potentially dangerous dog to be loose. If a pit bull comes into my yard, I will assume it's coming for me and protect myself. I will not allow it to get close to me.
NRA Distinguished Life Member
Viet Nam Combat Veteran, 1967-1968, I Corps (Army)
Beirut 1983 (Navy)
Lấy máu Nga Hoa mà hòa rượu đế
Lấy xác cộng xây cầu bên hải
Lấy râu cụ Hồ làm bàn chải đánh giầy
Chặt đầu việt cộng mà nấu canh chua
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

MWSY,
She never saw a gun. If I thought any chance she did I would definitely have called.
docachna

Post by docachna »

WeinerDog wrote:MWSY,
She never saw a gun. If I thought any chance she did I would definitely have called.
But you said the "G" word. It would have been worth a call. Preventative medicine, if nothing else. Remember, the guy that calls is the victim...............

Hopefully there wont' be a "next time" where you have to make the decision.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

ArmyAndNavyVet wrote: Pit bull owners need to be put on official notice that it's not okay for such a potentially dangerous dog to be loose. If a pit bull comes into my yard, I will assume it's coming for me and protect myself. I will not allow it to get close to me.
This is a tender spot for me. I am a firm believer that breeds are not born "dangerous". The temperament of an animal is based on its environment, and how it is treated. Any dog, and any breed, can be vicious if they have been mistreated or abused.

I have seen Chihuahuas that seem darn near rabid in nature to strangers - but you probably wouldn't consider shooting one of those if it came toward you.

My dog is part Mastiff - and the biggest sweetheart around. (Chuck can attest to it!)

I have friends that have Pit Bulls - and they are completely docile and loving pets.

You might as well be saying that everyone that owns a gun is going to go shooting into a crowd when you draw those type of conclusions.

Edit to add: Anyone else remember when German Shepherds were the dangerous breed? Followed by Dobermans, then Rottweilers got the bad rap....
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Behavior is also very much a matter of breeding. We raised cattle and even with them different breeds are predisposed for different behaviors. No guarantee of that behavior just a significant leaning. Almost always had Herefords when I was young as they tended to have a very mild, calm attitude. They also were short and squat. Not what the market wanted in their beef. So eventually dad switched to Simmental breed as they were tall and lean; what the market wanted in beef. They were a relatively new breed so their attitude/behavior was ALL over the map. Had one heifer that was calm as could be. Could pet and brush her but as soon as you put a halter on her you would think she was trying out for the part of bucking bronc in the local rodeo. She was lots of fun to halter break to show at the county fair that year. :roll:

Had dobermans growing up as well. They weren't dangerous so much as protective. Big babies with family but if a stranger pulled into the drive they switched to guard mode instantly. They were never taught this behavior, they were simply pets that we ran the fields with. They all had basic obedience training and nothing else. Funny thing is their protective nature manifested differently around dad and myself than it did with mom and my sister. Dad or I, and they stayed in the general vicinity keeping a very close eye on the stranger. Mom or sister, they were at their feet sitting at attention, ears up, hackles up, teeth ever so slightly bared, staring down the stranger.

Had a husky a few years back that never even saw snow till she was 3 years old or so. First time we put a harness on her and a sled full of kids behind her though she was ready to go like she knew exactly what that harness and sled were for and what her job was.

While nurture can go a long way to reducing some of those predisposed behaviors, they can sometimes still be there and come out at the wrong time.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

And I had Herefords that would surround and stomp to death anything on four legs dumb enough to enter the pasture.

The OP might have missed a good opportunity to solve the problem once and for all. If he thought the woman could truly control her dog for a few minutes he could have introduced them. IF, they could make nice under controlled conditions they would more than likely get along thereafter.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Playing devils advocate here, but OP you were in the wrong as well. Your dogs weren't leashed either. Isnt shooting a dog because it attacks another dog illegal according to the ORC?. That being said, it would be hard for me to watch my dog be attacked and hurt by another dog.. Personally I would take non lethal action to protect my dog, but if the attacking dog turned to attack me, then it's signed it's death warrant.

Again, not picking on the OP but just pointing out two wrongs don't make a right... I too have owned and been around many pit bulls and none of them were aggressive towards people. Some were though towards other animals.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

docachna wrote:
WeinerDog wrote:MWSY,
But you said the "G" word. It would have been worth a call. Preventative medicine, if nothing else. Remember, the guy that calls is the victim...............

Hopefully there wont' be a "next time" where you have to make the decision.

This.
MyWifeSaidYes
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

You did well WeinerDog.

No dead or mauled dogs and no police were involved.

Don't listen to all the dogshooters on here. :P
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WeinerDog wrote: I shared this more for people who don't think they need to carry in their yard. I'm not looking for a critique concerning my dogs being leashed and I know that you the law says you can't shoot to protect your dogs or cats but these are my babies and even if an animal is not threatening me, if it is going to harm them it will be shot.
I didn't call the police because I'm confident no one saw my gun and the lady was so apologetic but her one " get out of jail card " is used up.
This isn't a critique, just a question r/t the bolded part. Is this what you're referring to?

http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/cin ... g/20983476" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

And that is why I said they are predisposed but it is not a guarantee. We've had some go the other way as well. Same with the Simmentals. The crazy or aggressive ones get turned into steaks, roasts, and hamburger before they can breed and pass along that attitude.
calvin56 wrote:And I had Herefords that would surround and stomp to death anything on four legs dumb enough to enter the pasture.

The OP might have missed a good opportunity to solve the problem once and for all. If he thought the woman could truly control her dog for a few minutes he could have introduced them. IF, they could make nice under controlled conditions they would more than likely get along thereafter.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Double3

Post by Double3 »

Stryker74 wrote:
ArmyAndNavyVet wrote: Pit bull owners need to be put on official notice that it's not okay for such a potentially dangerous dog to be loose. If a pit bull comes into my yard, I will assume it's coming for me and protect myself. I will not allow it to get close to me.
This is a tender spot for me. I am a firm believer that breeds are not born "dangerous". The temperament of an animal is based on its environment, and how it is treated. Any dog, and any breed, can be vicious if they have been mistreated or abused.

I have seen Chihuahuas that seem darn near rabid in nature to strangers - but you probably wouldn't consider shooting one of those if it came toward you.

My dog is part Mastiff - and the biggest sweetheart around. (Chuck can attest to it!)

I have friends that have Pit Bulls - and they are completely docile and loving pets.

You might as well be saying that everyone that owns a gun is going to go shooting into a crowd when you draw those type of conclusions.

Edit to add: Anyone else remember when German Shepherds were the dangerous breed? Followed by Dobermans, then Rottweilers got the bad rap....
Oh no a scary looking dog. Better pull out my gun!