Pit bull in my Yard

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Dieselnut

Re: Pit bull in my Yard

Post by Dieselnut »

They share those traits i guess lol.
ArmedPatriots

Post by ArmedPatriots »

WeinerDog wrote:So yesterday I'm outside with my dogs ( two dachshunds who never leave the yard ) and all of a sudden they sprint around the hedge into my neighbors yard ( she died last Friday so empty ) barking like crazy. I run around the hedge and see a pit bull running toward them.
Now to be honest, she was excited and growling but was wearing a harness with some pink on it and wasn't showing teeth. I start screaming at my dogs and they run back into my yard ( city lots so we're talking a few yards ) with the pit still coming towards us by this time. It would go at them and then me. I'm backing up the whole time and finally it was close enough to me I pulled my Glock 42 and was preparing to fire.
I was screaming at my dogs the whole time and pointing my gun so I'm glad my neighborhood is desolate throughout the work day. I finally got the dachshunds and me into the breezeway when I see are car come slowly around the corner. The lady was obviously looking for that dog. She got out and the dog started to take off but she hollared and was able to grab the harness.
I told her," lady I almost shot your dog". She's like " please don't do that ". I told her I watch at least two court shows a week where a pit has mauled small dogs. I eventually approached her dog when she said it was a sweetheart and it was. I asked if she knew the laws in our town pertaining to pit bulls ( which are really an attempt to ban ) and she said she did. She said they recently rescued the dog.
I'm glad I carry everyday, everywhere. Between getting hacked up in a restaurant or beaten by BLM idiots you never know.
I shared this more for people who don't think they need to carry in their yard. I'm not looking for a critique concerning my dogs being leashed and I know that you the law says you can't shoot to protect your dogs or cats but these are my babies and even if an animal is not threatening me, if it is going to harm them it will be shot.
I didn't call the police because I'm confident no one saw my gun and the lady was so apologetic but her one " get out of jail card " is used up.
" It would go at them and then me."

ORC 955.28.
The second the dog made you think that it may bite YOU the law says you can put it down.
I keep a link to this on my phone home screen just in case. Ive had ignorant LEOs actually tell me its illegal to shoot a dog that isnt actively biting someone and that is not what the law SAYS...
955.28 Dog may be killed for certain acts - owner liable for damages.
(A) Subject to divisions (A)(2) and (3) of section 955.261 of the Revised Code, a dog that is chasing or approaching in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, that attempts to bite or otherwise endanger, or that kills or injures a person or a dog that chases, threatens, harasses, injures, or kills livestock, poultry, other domestic animal, or other animal, that is the property of another person, except a cat or another dog, can be killed at the time of that chasing, threatening, harassment, approaching, attempt, killing, or injury. If, in attempting to kill such a dog, a person wounds it, the person is not liable to prosecution under the penal laws that punish cruelty to animals. Nothing in this section precludes a law enforcement officer from killing a dog that attacks a police dog as defined in section 2921.321 of the Revised Code.

(B) The owner, keeper, or harborer of a dog is liable in damages for any injury, death, or loss to person or property that is caused by the dog, unless the injury, death, or loss was caused to the person or property of an individual who, at the time, was committing or attempting to commit criminal trespass or another criminal offense other than a minor misdemeanor on the property of the owner, keeper, or harborer, or was committing or attempting to commit a criminal offense other than a minor misdemeanor against any person, or was teasing, tormenting, or abusing the dog on the owner's, keeper's, or harborer's property. Additionally, the owner, keeper, or harborer of a dog is liable in damages for any injury, death, or loss to person or property that is caused by the dog if the injury, death, or loss was caused to the person or property of an individual who, at the time of the injury, death, or loss, was on the property of the owner, keeper, or harborer solely for the purpose of engaging in door-to-door sales or other solicitations regardless of whether the individual was in compliance with any requirement to obtain a permit or license to engage in door-to-door sales or other solicitations established by the political subdivision in which the property of the owner, keeper, or harborer is located, provided that the person was not committing a criminal offense other than a minor misdemeanor or was not teasing, tormenting, or abusing the dog.

Effective Date: 07-10-1987; 2008 HB71 09-30-2008
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/955.28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Isnt it ironic that the anti gun agenda response to defenseless people being murdered is to try to make them even more defenseless...
ArmedPatriots

Post by ArmedPatriots »

WeinerDog wrote:Stryker74,

Did you completely miss the parts where the dogs is growling and coming at me ? It was much scarier than I alluded to. I didn't want to come across as pit bull paranoid but I was in fear of severe bodily to to MYSELF. I backed up a good 20 yards and the dog was like 3 yards from me when I made it to the breezeway.
No offense intended towards anyone here by my experience has been that pit bull defenders NEVER actually hear the whole story...or they selectively ignore any details they dont want to have to deal with.
Ive lived in my place for 7 years now. We've been assaulted by 4 dogs that I nearly had to shoot. Every single one of them has been a pit bull. That might not say much if there werent dozens of different breeds of dogs on the property here.

the wife and I go for walks in the city parks every year. Theres always tons of dogs. One man was walking his pit last year and as we were passing I said "hello" like we have to a thousand other dog owners walking their dogs. I barely finished the word hello when this beast went {inappropriate language} crazy. Had it not been on a leash I have zero doubt we would have been attacked. I dont talk to pit owners in the parks anymore
Isnt it ironic that the anti gun agenda response to defenseless people being murdered is to try to make them even more defenseless...