Relatives close encounter in parking lot

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Relatives close encounter in parking lot

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

pediem wrote:... I try to carry and simply remove my holster and handgun for those places...
I'll remove my gun, but I'll keep my holster on. :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Brian D. wrote:... Unless you want to count acquaintances being sort of snarky and making jokes about paranoia. Most of them quit doing that after you see some danger or problem that they were unaware of.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me. :shock:
MyWifeSaidYes
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:... So she's standing there with 3 aggressive young males just feet away, there's no way they're letting her root around in her purse for 4+ seconds. ...
But they originally asked her for money.

Rooting around in her purse is exactly what they wanted her to do.

:wink:
Exactly! I don't have to be a quick draw. I can feign finding my wallet, all while grabbing my gun.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Taking 10 minutes to find something in your purse is a natural thing with women.. :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Mustang380gal wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:... So she's standing there with 3 aggressive young males just feet away, there's no way they're letting her root around in her purse for 4+ seconds. ...
But they originally asked her for money.

Rooting around in her purse is exactly what they wanted her to do.

:wink:
Exactly! I don't have to be a quick draw. I can feign finding my wallet, all while grabbing my gun.
Through various relationships over a number of years, I've acquired an intimate knowledge of the contents of women's purses and the time and effort needed to excavate said contents.
If I were a robber, I would just take the whole purse and avoid the necessity of waiting around while my mark fumbled around inside it where I couldn't see her hands. What a lot of people don't realize is that keeping your hands visible is not only for LEO safety, it also works for the safety of savvy criminals.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

CroManGun wrote:If I were a robber, I would just take the whole purse and avoid the necessity of waiting around while my mark fumbled around inside it where I couldn't see her hands.
You don't think they'll conveniently stand there and wait for the mark to go through the purse and pull out whatever (they're probably not expecting a gun, but pepper spray would be a real possibility)? No I agree, the request for money was a diversion. They were at the very least going to rob her, and in that case it's much more likely to take the whole purse and go. Unless of course robbery wasn't their only motive, in which case they still wouldn't have waited for her to go through the purse.

It's not totally impossible, but your scenario strikes me as a lot more likely.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
CroManGun wrote:If I were a robber, I would just take the whole purse and avoid the necessity of waiting around while my mark fumbled around inside it where I couldn't see her hands.
You don't think they'll conveniently stand there and wait for the mark to go through the purse and pull out whatever (they're probably not expecting a gun, but pepper spray would be a real possibility)? No I agree, the request for money was a diversion. They were at the very least going to rob her, and in that case it's much more likely to take the whole purse and go. Unless of course robbery wasn't their only motive, in which case they still wouldn't have waited for her to go through the purse.

It's not totally impossible, but your scenario strikes me as a lot more likely.
I didn't post every word of her description in the OP, but the feeling I got when she told me about it was that the request for money was to divert her eyes off of them, and possibly make her doubt what their true intentions were. He only started talking to her after she found out she was being approached. They could've found more people to panhandle from nearer the store entrance, if that was just their goal. He also asked for a ride when the money request didn't work. After she told him no, he could've just gone away, but it didn't seem like he was taking no for an answer. I doubt given the situation they would've stopped at just stealing her money if they could've got to her before she noticed them. The only thing that seemed to give them all pause was her stare down, her stance, and putting her hand in her pocket. I asked her to show me, and it looked like she was ready to draw and put some downrange. She bluffed them, and got away with it, this time. :roll:

The good thing from all this is she knows she got lucky this time, and is taking steps in case something ever happens again. It's a lesson that a lot of CHL holders who don't carry when they can should take heed of. She said, "I've been at that store probably a hundred times, and never had a problem." It's like seat belts. If you knew exactly when and where someone was going to hit your car, you wouldn't be there anyway. Or like the late Yogi Berra said about insurance, "You don't know you need it until you need it."
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

Glad it all turned out ok!
The good thing from all this is she knows she got lucky this time, and is taking steps in case something ever happens again. It's a lesson that a lot of CHL holders who don't carry when they can should take heed of. She said, "I've been at that store probably a hundred times, and never had a problem." It's like seat belts. If you knew exactly when and where someone was going to hit your car, you wouldn't be there anyway. Or like the late Yogi Berra said about insurance, "You don't know you need it until you need it."
And this is what gets me when folks ask "why in the world do you feel you need a gun at..........."? (theater, work, shopping mall, church, dentist, etc.).
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

WayneB wrote:...
And this is what gets me when folks ask "why in the world do you feel you need a gun at..........."? (theater, work, shopping mall, church, dentist, etc.).
I am no longer able to answer this kind of question in a sincere, rational or adult manner.

The least offensive answer I have is, "What? You don't watch the news?"

:roll:
MyWifeSaidYes
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

deanimator wrote:Last week a co-worker was telling us about a recent encounter at Walmart in Green.

He was getting ready to pull out of the parking lot when a guy rear-ended him. The guy who hit HIM then got out of his car, and began beating on the rear of his vehicle.

My co-worker got out of the car and asked him if he was ok. The guy who rear-ended him then began swearing at him and making threats, his female companion egging him on all the way. He then started advancing on the co-worker... who immediately drew down on him with his Shield, ordering him to keep his hands in the air.

The wouldbe assailant INSTANTLY froze like a video on pause. The co-worker's girlfriend dialed 911, resulting in a response by numerous police vehicles.

The assailant and the victim were both cuffed, the latter only briefly. Apparently, the aggressor had warrants from THREE states, Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky.

The victim got his CHL and gun back almost immediately. The assailant went to (and apparently stayed in) jail.

I love a happy ending!
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Taking 10 minutes to find something in your purse is a natural thing with women.. :)

That's for sure. When my wife asks me to get something from her purse it's faster to just go get the purse, hand it to her, and wait.....(and wait)....... and then take the purse back were I found it. :wink:
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:Taking 10 minutes to find something in your purse is a natural thing with women.. :)

That's for sure. When my wife asks me to get something from her purse it's faster to just go get the purse, hand it to her, and wait.....(and wait)....... and then take the purse back were I found it. :wink:
I've seen a few of the purses that are made for CCW when I wife was looking for one, (like what MustangGal380 suggested) and the good thing about them is they have specific places to securely hold a handgun, magazines, pepper spray, not just mixed in with who knows what. Also on some of them you can open the purse and look down inside without the gun being visible if you need to. She tried drawing with them (not with real gun) I didn't time it with a stopwatch, but with one of them she seemed to be able to access the gun and draw it without looking at about the same speed as if it had been on her hip.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

RE: Sticking your hand in a lady's purse.

I learned nearly a half a century ago to NEVER stick my hand in a woman's purse, bag, or whatever portable storage device they have.
They will never admit it, but I'm firmly of the belief that all women have some sort of miniature alligator-like pet living in each of those bags that feed on male flesh.
It didn't take more than a few bleeding appendages for me to establish this as fact and cause me to forever swear off ever putting my hand in danger like that again.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I have a CCW purse heading my way for some...testing.

I'll let my wife and daughter look it over and play with it for a little while, then imma gonna shoot it. :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I have a CCW purse heading my way for some...testing.

I'll let my wife and daughter look it over and play with it for a little while, then imma gonna shoot it. :twisted:
Dude. That will haunt you for the rest of your days.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member