Relatives close encounter in parking lot

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Relatives close encounter in parking lot

Post by M-Quigley »

She doesn't want me posting the exact details, but is okay with me keeping it general. No references to exactly when or what store. She hasn't even told her husband yet. She relayed to me something that happened to her recently as she was leaving a store. She had just gotten to her car when a young adult male walked up to her from behind her. There were two other young adult males behind him, one looking around like he was watching out, the other off to the side of the closest guy. She was in the back part of the cars in the lot, not close to the stores entrance. She's got a panic button on her car keys, but she was so startled by his sudden approach she dropped her keys on the ground. Instead of picking them up though, she put her cart in between her and him, since he moved in quicker. He asked her for money, allegedly for some gas, and she told him no. He then asked if she could give him and his friends a ride somewhere. The 2nd guy started walking closer, and she told the first guy no to a ride. She then stuck her right hand in her coat pocket, had her left hand in front of her, planted her feet and yelled loudly at him to go away. She also stared him down hard. The 2nd guy stopped coming any closer. She said the guy on the other side of the cart stared at her like a mad dog. A car was driving down the row of parked cars (driving away from the store) and stopped. The 2nd guy told the first guy basically that they should leave, and they walked away, but not before he said some things to her that forum rules prevent me from even implying I guess.

The ironic thing is she's almost as mad as herself as those guys because even though she has had a CHL for a few years she wasn't carrying at the time. If that car hadn't come along, she doesn't know if they would've been scared off or not. Also what would've happened if he pulled out a weapon? She never even considered something like that happening to her. She mainly got the CHL at her husbands urging, and she's been getting along just fine without it so far.

Her excuses were she couldn't find a way to comfortably body carry, carrying in her purse weighs her purse down, and if she has her kids with her she doesn't want her kids to get a hold of it. (she didn't have her kids with her at the time) The gun that her husband bought for her is a slightly compact version of a full size 9mm.(not a G19, but that size) It's an easy gun for her to shoot with, but not as concealable, and certainly not a pocket sized pistol. I suggested to her that if she wants to actually do pocket carry then perhaps she could possibly go to a range where she can try a variety of smaller handguns, and see if she likes any of them. If not a pocket gun, then something in between pocket and full size duty gun. Granted, I wouldn't normally suggest someone go smaller instead of bigger in a potential armed encounter, but the number one rule of gun carrying should be to actually carry a gun, even if it is a smaller one. I had some other suggestions on things she could check out related to comfortable on body carry. I'm not a proponent of purse carry, but even that would, if you use the proper precautions, would be better than just going unarmed.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Relatives close encounter in parking lot

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

M-Quigley wrote:...

Her excuses were...
That says it all, right there.

I'm very glad this was an eye-opening experience for her instead of a casket-closing one.

I do like my full size M&P 9 but it's my LCP that I always carry.

A smaller gun is not a bad thing if the alternative is not carrying.
MyWifeSaidYes
Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ray81 »

Females and elderly should always be armed because criminals look at them as easy targets. They can easily knock them out, do what they please, Rob and run away.

I think a 38 special revolver is best for majority of women and elders. Revolvers are good because they are simple.

The car saved her life or saved her from bodily harm. There may not be a car next time around.

A girl I was dating last year was anti gunner as are most females, that i have come across. She said only cops should have guns.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I was going to suggest a .38 special snubbie revolver also.
I really like the S&W 442 I won as a door prize at one of the Party In The Park picnics.
It's a really nice pocket gun (with a proper pocket holster, of course).
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

I can't see what the big deal is about not saying where this happened. Could serve as a warning to others frequenting the area. She's still got her head in the sand.
Might want to start parking closer to the entrance.
Might want to start developing some situational awareness.
Might want to treat herself to a new, larger purse with a shoulder strap so she doesn't get weighed down with her carry.
Might want to invest in some pepper spray.
Might want to spend less time on excuses.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

I think a key concept is that in the vast majority of times that a firearm is used for self defense, NO shots are fired. The mere presence and willingness to use it are usually enough to end the encounter.

That said, something small and easy to carry is usually enough and definitely is much better than nothing. A small pocket revolver, or even a Keltec is better than a full sized 9 left at home.

I thought she was very smart reaching into her pocket like that. That may be enough to make them search for easier targets.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

CroManGun wrote:I can't see what the big deal is about not saying where this happened. Could serve as a warning to others frequenting the area. She's still got her head in the sand.
Might want to start parking closer to the entrance.
Might want to treat herself to a new, larger purse with a shoulder strap so she doesn't get weighed down with her carry.
Gun Tote'n Mama and Roma make a variety of very nice carry purses. Roma purses have a locking gun compartment. GTM does not. They can be locked with a TSA lock and some creativity.

https://guntotenmamas.com
http://www.romagunbags.com

I know most of you guys think that purse carry is awful, but reality is that it is better to have a gun some way than no way.

Most of you don't mind getting "made" but I generally do mind because of where I go with the kids. I was at a gym meet in a private club, not posted, yesterday. Sitting on bleachers for 6 hours would have been impossible not to have been glaringly obvious that I was armed. I really did not want to freak out the other parents, but I could have defended myself and my kid if need be.

M-Quigley, I'm glad she is okay. Have her hop over to http://www.corneredcat.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. She is not a fan of purse carry, either, which I understand. I just know how difficult it can be to dress around a gun, and have kids around too.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Last week a co-worker was telling us about a recent encounter at Walmart in Green.

He was getting ready to pull out of the parking lot when a guy rear-ended him. The guy who hit HIM then got out of his car, and began beating on the rear of his vehicle.

My co-worker got out of the car and asked him if he was ok. The guy who rear-ended him then began swearing at him and making threats, his female companion egging him on all the way. He then started advancing on the co-worker... who immediately drew down on him with his Shield, ordering him to keep his hands in the air.

The wouldbe assailant INSTANTLY froze like a video on pause. The co-worker's girlfriend dialed 911, resulting in a response by numerous police vehicles.

The assailant and the victim were both cuffed, the latter only briefly. Apparently, the aggressor had warrants from THREE states, Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky.

The victim got his CHL and gun back almost immediately. The assailant went to (and apparently stayed in) jail.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

CroManGun wrote:I can't see what the big deal is about not saying where this happened. Could serve as a warning to others frequenting the area. She's still got her head in the sand.
She asked me not get specific, and I'm honoring that. She has her reasons, which I disagree with, but I understand. The only reason she's allowing me to post it here at all is for the benefit of people who might have their CHL but don't carry. She hadn't at the time we talked told her husband or any other family members either. She didn't even call the cops right after it happened, just wanted to get home. And yes we had a talk about that. I think the reason she told me was that she knew I would talk to her but not give her the third degree over it. What's done is done, and hindsight is 20/20. She got lucky this time, the important thing now is the future. We talked about a lot more things to do and check out than what I posted here.
CroManGun wrote:Might want to start parking closer to the entrance.
She might want to do a few other things also. She said that all the parking spaces closer were taken. As far as the pepper spray, I asked her about that. She did have some, loosely thrown in her purse along with other items. :roll: When I asked to see it, it took her probably half a minute for her to find it, under non stressful conditions. We talked about that also, and about solutions to that.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Mustang380gal wrote: I know most of you guys think that purse carry is awful, but reality is that it is better to have a gun some way than no way.

Most of you don't mind getting "made" but I generally do mind because of where I go with the kids. I was at a gym meet in a private club, not posted, yesterday. Sitting on bleachers for 6 hours would have been impossible not to have been glaringly obvious that I was armed. I really did not want to freak out the other parents, but I could have defended myself and my kid if need be.
I totally understand, and I agree. (if done safely)
Mustang380gal wrote: M-Quigley, I'm glad she is okay. Have her hop over to http://www.corneredcat.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. She is not a fan of purse carry, either, which I understand. I just know how difficult it can be to dress around a gun, and have kids around too.
Thanks for the links and suggestions. I did suggest that website to her.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

The excuse of not being comfortable is just that, a excuse..and a lousy one IMO.

There are so many options for women...." She put her hand in her pocket " Well buy a pocket gun like a SW Body Gaurd 380 and put it in a Nemisis holster ..if that is to uncomfortable then you have problems..

I think the Mr. Needs a talking to....
Last edited by carmen fovozzo on Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Mustang380gal wrote:
I know most of you guys think that purse carry is awful, but reality is that it is better to have a gun some way than no way.

Just had this discussion in class yesterday. I don't think most of us guys really have a good understanding of the complexities that women face for on-body carry at times.

Our one lady in the class admitted that she used a FlashBang, but even that is not always practical.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Stryker74 wrote:
Mustang380gal wrote:

Just had this discussion in class yesterday. I don't think most of us guys really have a good understanding of the complexities that women face for on-body carry at times.

Our one lady in the class admitted that she used a FlashBang, but even that is not always practical.
Pictures?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

pirateguy191 wrote:
Stryker74 wrote:
Mustang380gal wrote:

Pictures?
Um, no. She admitted, but it was not "Show and Tell".
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

M-Quigley wrote:
Mustang380gal wrote: I know most of you guys think that purse carry is awful, but reality is that it is better to have a gun some way than no way.

I totally understand, and I agree. (if done safely)
That is why I suggested the RomaGunBags and Gun Tote'n Mama. They have dedicated spaces for the holster, and the Roma can easily lock.

I am also very careful about my purse. It stays in my control at all times, or I will lock it if at someone else's house, and I know I will be leaving it unattended. It never, ever, sits in a grocery cart.

I have been carrying this way since '04. I know it isn't the best, but it is better than leaving it at home.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!