Humbling Non-Encounter

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

glocksmith

Humbling Non-Encounter

Post by glocksmith »

Yesterday, I had an encounter with Murphy's Law. It was quite embarrassing to a guy like myself, as I'm a "be prepared" type who never leaves the house without my sidearm. Anyway, long story short, it was a warmish, sunny day yesterday and I open the front door to see if it's warm enough to go sit out on the front porch. It was, so I turned back into the house to ask a family member if they wanted to join me out there. I head back out toward the now unlocked door which is open only about a half inch - when suddenly I hear a knock at the door. This annoyed me because normally I always have the front door and outer storm door locked - and I'd only unlocked it 30 seconds prior. Well, in that narrow window of time, two people I didn't recognize managed to come up on the porch. Normally I don't answer when this happens. One of the guys opened the all glass storm door so he could knock harder on the inner door....and being a windy day, the door flew open. I see a hand holding the storm door and a foot sticking in past the door frame. Now I'm getting really annoyed - mainly at myself for being so careless - so I motion to a family member to go get rid of them. Meanwhile I stepped into a side room and - perhaps over reacting but just in case - I pull my revolver from its holster and listen for anything abnormal coming from the living room. While standing there, I notice that there isn't a hint of brass colored spots behind the recoil shield. Yep, just like that I realize the revolver - which I've concealed carried for about the last 2 months - isn't even loaded. Luckily there were four loose rounds nearby and I quickly stuffed them in the cylinder. In the end, it turned out to be nothing - two guys selling some service or product. What can I say though? All this fancy gear and ammo I've invested in and, had I really needed it in a SD situation, I'd have come up short. Very short. What's worse is that I have been toting it around in my holster for the last two months - completely unaware that I was carrying an empty gun. Seems that the last time I took it to the range, I cleaned it and left it empty for a second cleaning which never happened. :oops:

Everybody check your guns right now. Don't be like me :lol:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Curzyk

Re: Humbling Non-Encounter

Post by Curzyk »

Classic movie moment.

:shock: "Stop, or I'll shoot!" :x

:evil: "Your gun ain't even loaded, junior." :twisted:

:oops:
502ci
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 502ci »

Sounds kinda like one of my dreams (aka nightmare) where I have to pull my gun and fire it which then either the bullets fall out of the barrel or I keep pulling the trigger and nothing happens... :D

I gotta admit when my gun is out of my sight for any period of time I will check the cylinder for ammo...not just a glance at the back of the shell casings but pull a round out and check for that familiar hollow point... :mrgreen:
Nothing to see here...move along.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Are you saying you carried it for two months and never took it out of the holster all that time?
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Every time I holster a carry gun (first time after being stored, put away for the night etc), I drop out the magazine to check it and check for a round in the chamber (or swing out the cylinder). A couple of quick seconds to prevent that error.

I learned that at TDI, where they had several stories like yours. One IIRC was 6 months with an empty gun.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:Are you saying you carried it for two months and never took it out of the holster all that time?
Yeah. I wear it in a shoulder holster, so I simply slide out of it at the end of the day. No real need for me to un-holster/re-holster it continually like I did when wearing a Glock in an OWB.

DTOM - in case you missed it in my OP, it's a revolver I'm talking about.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

I saw that it was a revolver. Still, that shoulder holster can trap moisture and it'd be a good idea to at least take it out once a week, let it air out overnight and give it a wipe before reholstering.

The other benefit to this would be you'll notice more quickly if you accidentally failed to load it. :wink:
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Good reminder.

I can check my current carry blaster(credit Brian D.)by reaching down and touching it, my XD has both a loaded chamber and cocked indicator. I like those features,
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Mr. Glock wrote:Every time I holster a carry gun (first time after being stored, put away for the night etc), I drop out the magazine to check it and check for a round in the chamber (or swing out the cylinder). A couple of quick seconds to prevent that error.

I learned that at TDI, where they had several stories like yours. One IIRC was 6 months with an empty gun.
+1.

"Administrative" isn't really administrative, when one's life is on the line.

It's a good idea - no matter what kind of weapon one's carrying - to do a proper check-up like that.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Metal1

Post by Metal1 »

Doubt that would ever happen as I check my guns before I put them on every morning.
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

I've never done that so far, but I did have a loose mag where I had hit the release and had not re-seated it correctly.
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
centermass

Post by centermass »

glocksmith wrote: completely unaware that I was carrying an empty gun.
No, Sir, you were carrying a hammer.
Thy rod and thy staff and thy .357, they comfort me.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Thanks for sharing, and I'm almost as glad as you that you didn't need it at any time.

I don't check mine either... only when I might change guns will I confirm it's loaded. And I hate to say, there are times that I'll go past that 2 month mark without pulling a trigger. Shame, shame...

I suppose during a cleaning or an afternoon at the range one could get distracted enough to overlook the reloading. I have gone to the range and TWICE now expended all my pellets only to have to go home with and empty gun.

(... I just checked mine now though, and whew!)
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

No simpathy from me...One of the most unbelievable stories I have heard...never heard of anyone CC that long and not know their gun was unloaded....at least 5 rounds of ammo makes a difference in weight...Hard to believe....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Newcomer
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Newcomer »

glocksmith, I commend you for being brave enough to share this story knowing that you may get beat up here. I would say you're in the minority that would do that here. Glad things worked out.
"You don't have to agree with everything I say...but eventually you'll come to your senses."
http://www.gunauction.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;