Humbling Non-Encounter

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

glocksmith

Re: Humbling Non-Encounter

Post by glocksmith »

gaptrick wrote:I suppose during a cleaning or an afternoon at the range one could get distracted enough to overlook the reloading. I have gone to the range and TWICE now expended all my pellets only to have to go home with and empty gun.
In my case, it's my gun cleaning practices. After a shooting session, I'll clean the bore that very evening. I always let it sit overnight and run a second patch through the next day. No matter how clean you think you have it, there's always a slight bit of fouling that breaks loose overnight. My guess is I got sidetracked and never did that second cleaning and reloading. It won't happen again.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Newcomer wrote:glocksmith, I commend you for being brave enough to share this story knowing that you may get beat up here. I would say you're in the minority that would do that here.
Aww IDK. Only one person has "beat me up" here so far. IIRC we've had a couple folks here share their stories about ND's which is far more embarrassing than long term CC'ing empty gun :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Newcomer wrote:glocksmith, I commend you for being brave enough to share this story knowing that you may get beat up here.
+1.

I'd give both of you that "thumbs up" emoji, if I could learn how to find it here!

About 6 months into my concealed-carry life, I discovered in mid-stride in a shopping complex that I'd left the house with both holster and spare mag, but without the gun that goes into the holster. :oops:

That's what ingrained in me what I'd posted previously: that "administrative" really isn't. :!:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

carmen fovozzo wrote:No simpathy from me...One of the most unbelievable stories I have heard...never heard of anyone CC that long and not know their gun was unloaded....at least 5 rounds of ammo makes a difference in weight...Hard to believe....
Depends...a Ruger SP-101 is a beast for a little gun, pretty sure 5 rounds don't add that much weight to be really noticeable :wink:
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

carmen fovozzo wrote:No simpathy from me...One of the most unbelievable stories I have heard...never heard of anyone CC that long and not know their gun was unloaded....at least 5 rounds of ammo makes a difference in weight...Hard to believe....
If he kept it in a decent leather shoulder rig, and took the entire rig off at night without removing the gun, I could see how he wouldn't notice the weight difference. Even more so if he had a support side speed loader or two.

Still, this is a great reminder for all of us.
MyWifeSaidYes
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Depends...a Ruger SP-101 is a beast for a little gun, pretty sure 5 rounds don't add that much weight to be really noticeable
If he kept it in a decent leather shoulder rig, and took the entire rig off at night without removing the gun, I could see how he wouldn't notice the weight difference. Even more so if he had a support side speed loader or two.
Exactly. The gun in question was my interim carry gun until my snubby arrived...a 4" bbl 586. Quite large and heavy for CC, and wth my high quality Galco shoulder rig one wouldn't even notice the weight difference with six .357 rounds. And that was pretty much my practice - take the entire rig off and leave the gun holstered. And TSiWRX don't feel bad about your little mistake when you'd only been CC'ing six months. I had been carrying daily for almost 9 years before making my first mistake. I did tote two speedloaders along with my empty revolver, so it wasn't a total screw up :wink:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

"Only one person has beat me up". I thought I was rather kind myself. :)

Just wondering what 6 rounds of that's ammo Actualy weighs?

Sorry if I sounded like I was being nasty...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

glocksmith wrote:And TSiWRX don't feel bad about your little mistake when you'd only been CC'ing six months.
Hey, a mistake is a mistake, no matter what. :) :oops: :)
I had been carrying daily for almost 9 years before making my first mistake.
I really think it's true that complacency is what gets even the best of us. That our members can come forward to post-up mistakes like these should give us all that slight tap on the behind that's necessary to combat complacency.
I did tote two speedloaders along with my empty revolver, so it wasn't a total screw up :wink:

I guess I could have just thrown my spare mag? :lol:
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

My problem that is reoccurring now is when I go into a posted place I put my gun into my center console....then when I get out of church or back to work or the freaken post office I for get it in the car...done that about 5 times in the last 6 months.....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Hey, you know about the problem, that's the first step! :)

That was the lesson I learned from adf8585's shoot - http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - if I disarm, I've gotta have the discipline to *always* re-arm.
Sky Pilot

Post by Sky Pilot »

Going back to the OP and re-reading it carefully, I detect the hand of the infamous scoundrel Moriarty -- I mean Murphy -- but I won't say that too loud, because the last time I made reference to Murphy being a scoundrel, the sales rep I was talking to had a funny look on his face and he said "My name is Murphy."
I had to go find a spatula to scrape the egg off my face.
My friend, thank you for this report: it is indeed a lesson, and it goes in our Book of Useful Knowledge.
Your sharing this experience might just have saved one of our happy band embarrassment, or worse!
Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

carmen fovozzo wrote:My problem that is reoccurring now is when I go into a posted place I put my gun into my center console....then when I get out of church or back to work or the freaken post office I for get it in the car...done that about 5 times in the last 6 months.....
I did this a few times back in 2004, but quickly got over it. I had to as my wife sometimes took the same car somewhere and she didn't have her license at the time.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
welshj

Post by welshj »

hmm....

One of the first things that any military veteran will tell you is that you should know the status of your weapon at any given time.
Carrying, showering and sleeping with an M16 during deployments kind of makes that a mandatory thing.

now.... saying that....

I know the status of my carry and other firearms at all times.
It's always loaded and chambered unless I'm cleaning it.

I've even known the status of my firearm when I took it off to go into someone's house for work-
and then left it in the van all day long afterwards because I forgot to re-arm afterwards!!!
:oops: :shock:

No matter what amount of training we have/do/go through- in the end we're human.
And imperfect me- says thank you for a good reminder of our daily responsibility!!!
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

glocksmith I too respect your honesty. It takes balls to share something like this. We all have had our few seconds here and there of non-prepardness (if there is such a word). Thus, why I keep a long gun of short stature, heavy enough fire power, hidden, but easily obtainable near the front room of my house. I also have a similar backup in the downstairs area. My handgun is always with me if I leave, however, sometimes you do move that thing around enough that what you just explained happens. Long story short, DO NOT PROCRASTINATE when it comes to cleaning and properly readying firearms after the range. :mrgreen:
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it."
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

AmendII71 wrote:glocksmith I too respect your honesty. It takes balls to share something like this.
Thanks. I figured I'd warn everyone before someone else ended up doing it. I at least get an A+ for following the main rules of gun safety - for two months I handled it carefully - treating it as if it were loaded, and I always kept it pointed in a safe direction. :mrgreen:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!