Never leave the gun at home again

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Never leave the gun at home again

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

If you DO decide to stash an extra gun in the car, store it in a car safe.

I would recommend one that can be bolted to the floor under a seat as opposed to one that uses a steel cable to secure it.

If you can pull a cabled box out from under a seat, you can beat on it with a hammer or cut the cable.

As far as size and price, remember that the extra holster doesn't have to be stored in the safe. Put THAT in the glove box.
MyWifeSaidYes
Coolhead2001

Post by Coolhead2001 »

pirateguy191 wrote:Did you always carry small of back?
It depends. I have an Aliengear IWB holster that I usually wear at around the 5:30 position, and a standard OWB that I usually keep at around 3:30.
Coolhead2001

Post by Coolhead2001 »

Ray81 wrote:What about leaving an extra gun in your cars glove compartment and keeping it locked.

This way if you forget to leave home without a gun, you know you have a backup gun in your car?
Usually if we're out and about, I have mine on me. If I know we're heading into a CPZ location, I'll put it in a locked safe before going inside, then re-arm once we're out. But, as I referenced early-on in my original comment, I work at a company that doesn't allow firearms on property. I like my job a little too much to take the risk of losing it.
Dieselnut

Post by Dieselnut »

When I can't carry a handgun, I carry a spyderco civilian. That's one of the few knives I feel somewhat safe with.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Dieselnut wrote:When I can't carry a handgun, I carry a spyderco civilian. That's one of the few knives I feel somewhat safe with.
I've told the story elsewhere here, but a few years ago, my daughter was thrown from her horse while riding and thought she might be injured. The girl riding with her called 911 and waited with my daughter until the ambulance came and then took the horses back to the stable. My daughter carries a Ka-Bar TDI knife strapped to her leg while riding in case something happens and she has to cut herself free from the tack. The ambulance took her to a local hospital where they took her to the ER where they called me. Before I got there, the nurse observed the knife which had been removed and put with her other belongings in the ER cubicle. The nurse was going to call the sheriff to have my daughter arrested for having the knife in the hospital, but the doctor nixed it and told the hyperventilating nurse to leave. He identified the knife and the two then talked about TDI and guns and other things and were still talking when I arrived. The doctor informed me of the issue and said to call him if the nurse had called the sheriff. Luckily, she hadn't, but the point is that some places will freak out over a knife, so be careful where you carry that as well.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
eye95
*** Banned ***

Post by eye95 »

Don't assume that just because you have a printed copy of the law with you that the officer will not remain intransigent. In one of my encounters, the officer was so offended that I tried to show her where the law stated that SHE could not trespass me from Target that she went to her vehicle, pulled out her tome of Alabama Code, and tried in vain to look up the pertinent section.

I stood my ground and demanded a supervisor. In time, the officers (five of them) arrived at the conclusion that they could not trespass me. So they demanded that the manager do so. The manager called someone at corporate, and then told the officers, "No."

I know I risked a "ride." But at that particular point in my life, I had a LOT of time on my hand and apologies on file from the Deputy Chief and the City Attorney for the previous time their officers displayed woeful lack of knowledge of the law. That stop at Target was the LAST time Montgomery PD ever tried to stop me (or anyone else to my knowledge) for OC.
Be a Madisonian.

It finally happened. I have now been accused on OFCC of both being a cop-hater and then a cop-lover! Therefore, anyone making either accusation must not be paying attention.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Congratulations new daddy to be... Thanks for the opportunity for me to mention that I am a new first time grand daddy. This news for both of us does nothing more than reinforces the need to carry for the sake of us and our loved ones.

I know that look your wife gives you because mine gave the same one. She is more in tune now after a couple similar instances like yours, so she'll come around. I remember that feeling the first time she asked, "You're carrying, right?(but I WAS...). that's when I knew she "got it". She's still not a big fan of guns and the like, but her stigma of them is long gone.

Again, congrats. You're on your way to being a good dad.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY