Never leave the gun at home again

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Never leave the gun at home again

Post by WestonDon »

Arming up is part of getting dressed in the morning for me. The exception is when I have to go to a CPZ early in the day. That throws me off and I sometimes forget to arm myself later.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
eye95
*** Banned ***

Post by eye95 »

WestonDon wrote:Arming up is part of getting dressed in the morning for me. The exception is when I have to go to a CPZ early in the day. That throws me off and I sometimes forget to arm myself later.
Those of us who work in a massive CPZ routinely don't go armed. So I can see how someone can not automatically arm himself when he usually automatically does not arm himself.

The irony is that, in that CPZ, I am surrounded by and handle hundreds of guns!
Be a Madisonian.

It finally happened. I have now been accused on OFCC of both being a cop-hater and then a cop-lover! Therefore, anyone making either accusation must not be paying attention.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

I got a lot of attention last year when I had to visit a doctor at a posted hospital. I exited the place after the appointment, popped the trunk on my MX5, took off my jacket and put on my shoulder holster. Several people stopped to stare at the process, then moved off quickly. No repercussions though. Only bad part was it was COLD without my jacket for about 30 seconds.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ray81 »

What about leaving an extra gun in your cars glove compartment and keeping it locked.

This way if you forget to leave home without a gun, you know you have a backup gun in your car?
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Ray81 wrote:What about leaving an extra gun in your cars glove compartment and keeping it locked.

This way if you forget to leave home without a gun, you know you have a backup gun in your car?
Then the discussion will turn to 'What if someone steals or breaks into your car?"

Also, you would want to keep a spare holster if you are going to keep a spare gun.
MyWifeSaidYes
docachna

Post by docachna »

Always trust your gut.
Leroy Jethro Gibbs
Rule 50
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Ray81 wrote:What about leaving an extra gun in your cars glove compartment and keeping it locked.

I know a couple people who have had guns stolen from their vehicles. From what I understand, it's not a good feeling knowing that you just armed a criminal.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

pirateguy191 wrote:

I know a couple people who have had guns stolen from their vehicles. From what I understand, it's not a good feeling knowing that you just armed a criminal.
Happened to me once, AR-15 stolen from my truck's diamond plate lock box. Bothered me some, sure. What bothered me a bunch more was how the cops didn't want to take a report, then they had to be forced to enter the info/serial number into the NCIC database, as required by their own policy, and local/state law in Kentucky, as I understand it.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
GWC

Post by GWC »

Do they sell bats or broom handles or wrenches (or other blunt objects) at Target?

I think I would have expanded my shopping list in the above scenario.
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

GWC wrote:Do they sell bats or broom handles or wrenches (or other blunt objects) at Target?

Or a pair of socks and two cans of soup. :twisted:
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ray81 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote: Then the discussion will turn to 'What if someone steals or breaks into your car?"

Also, you would want to keep a spare holster if you are going to keep a spare gun.
Yes the extra gun will have its own holster locked in the glove box of a car.
I don't know how easy it is for robbers to break open a locked glovebox. Some may not bother to break it open as it takes time.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Most gloveboxes are not that hard to crack open.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

schmieg wrote:Most gloveboxes are not that hard to crack open.
^^ Truth. Just need to use something for leverage.(or so I've read.) And very little time.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Ray81 wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote: Then the discussion will turn to 'What if someone steals or breaks into your car?"

Yes the extra gun will have its own holster locked in the glove box of a car.
I don't know how easy it is for robbers to break open a locked glovebox. Some may not bother to break it open as it takes time.
I worked in a wrecking yard for awhile, years ago. Some of the cars came in with locked gloveboxes/consoles. This was back when they were still mostly made of metal and had decent locks. Decent size (1/4" dia. shaft) flat blade screwdriver popped them in 10-20 seconds. These days, with more plastic parts and cheaper locks, probably take only half that time.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
GWC

Post by GWC »

BEAR! wrote:
GWC wrote:Do they sell bats or broom handles or wrenches (or other blunt objects) at Target?

Or a pair of socks and two cans of soup. :twisted:

Also a good choice.
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.