Happy with Tallmadge police

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

hairtrigger

Happy with Tallmadge police

Post by hairtrigger »

Traveling home from work our car was rear ended by another driver. I couldn't get out of the car and waited for the police and EMS to arrive. I was in a lot of pain and initially forgot to inform. Eventually I remembered, interrupted the officer and informed as required.

The officer was very cool about it and asked where my weapon was located.

Once EMS/Fire extracted me from the car and got me on a gurney, I reminded the officer again and asked if he could take my weapon for safe keeping. It would be a bad thing to freak out the hospital staff to find a gun on me. He responded that would be a good idea. I pulled my gun and handed it over to him.

The next day I stopped by the Tallmadge police department and retrieved my gun. It had been unloaded and kept secured in the evidence room. All I had to do is show my driver's license to prove my identity.

I hope to never be involved in an accident like that again but all the interaction with the police and EMS went great.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Happy with Tallmadge police

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Glad you weren't hurt too seriously, and also glad to hear of such a reassuring tale.

It's good to know that there's some common-sense out there. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Newcomer
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Newcomer »

Glad you're OK neighbor.
"You don't have to agree with everything I say...but eventually you'll come to your senses."
http://www.gunauction.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Excellent interaction, sorry about your car being used as a stopping tool.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
medmandan

Post by medmandan »

while I cannot speak for all the hospitals, at least at Mercy here in Toledo, if one arrives with a firearm, mercy pd responds, secured it in a lockbox, and completes an evidence tag, which you get a receipt for. When diacharged you just stop by the station and pick it up...
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Did you get your ammo back???
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
hairtrigger

Post by hairtrigger »

Birdman wrote:Did you get your ammo back???
Yes, the magazine was still loaded and the one from the chamber was loose in an envelope.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Birdman's question might sound odd to newer members here but we used to get troublesome stories of LE encounters that ended otherwise.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

Glad to here that you are not to banged up.

I am contemplating a phone call to let them know that good word of there department has been spread. I know I would make a call if it would have been a negative encounter so I feel I should call sometimes when I here of a good ones.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

A letter to the police chief and copy to the city manager/council, commending the excellent and professional service could go a long way.
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

TJW815 wrote:A letter to the police chief and copy to the city manager/council, commending the excellent and professional service could go a long way.
Yup. Just like everywhere else, complaints are common. Praise is not. Positive reinforcement is quite the powerful tool (provided the person is wired to respond to positive reinforcement).
I've had consistently good results with ether.
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

:lol: I have had encounters in the past and I have always sent an email/phone call or letter when praise was called for.
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

charliej47 wrote::lol: I have had encounters in the past and I have always sent an email/phone call or letter when praise was called for.
That should always be the case. A positive reinforcement of a positive action has positive benefits, IMHO. Let them know when they are doing a good job and they will be far more prone to be the same on a future encounter.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

Awesome. I am glad the officer was understanding about the "very little" late notice. Glad you were able to trust them with your weapon. All around good deal. Hope your back heals. As a guy with a back injury from long ago; my one piece of advice: "Swim Laps".
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it."