Westerville PD A+

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ParaC7

Westerville PD A+

Post by ParaC7 »

So I have a reverse mounted hitch on my truck. Meaning a receiver mounted to the front end. It's great for my bike rack and hitch rack etc. Well I had my hitch rack in the receiver, but nothing on it. I pulled into a parking space at Walmart, and forgot that it was there. The resulting crunch of the rack on the car in front of me attracted the attention of the Westerville officer who happened to be in the next row over. I got out to assess the damage and get the information from the vehicle that I hit. As I was looking at the damage he pulled up. I notified of my carry status, and he was like "ok where is it?" holstered at my 3 o'clock. He said ok just make sure it stays there. And proceeded with handling the accident. While I was explaining what happened the owner of the car showed up, and we notified him of the bump. Even with the resounding "crunch" that emitted from the bumper was actually just the license plate rung, which had a little scratch. Owner of the car said no worries. And let it go. So I got lucky with that. And the added plus was that there was no issue from the Officer about CCW.
Gun Control means using both hands and hitting your target.

You want my guns Hillary???? SURE you can have them..................Bullets First!!!

Charlton Heston always was and always will be MY President!!!!
glocksmith

Re: Westerville PD A+

Post by glocksmith »

I see that phrase a lot "just make sure it stays there" or "don't touch it, and everything will be fine". IDK, maybe it's just me, but I think saying that is unnecessary...and insulting to a LAC/CHL holders intelligence.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I would suggest that delivery style of that phrase means a lot and perhaps you may read too much in to it -- a very CLEAR set of instructions works awfully well for ALL the parties involved.

Consider the average gun store customer who is new to carrying and shops for holsters and the FAR too common and obvious bad situation that customer puts everyone in to... Seems to me that a short, concise instruction is a fine idea for LE to deliver.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I still recall a tale that I read in these forums where one of our own was disarmed in a run of the mill LE traffic stop and the responding officer was so nervous at the idea of him carrying that she unloaded his pistol and left it on the trunk lid (or was it the bumper?) of his car with the mag sitting next to it and God knows where the chambered round ever ended up... with the instruction that he was not to exit his vehicle and retrieve his firearm until AFTER she drove away. (Probably to request a new uniform after having urinated in the one she had on?!)

Yeah, I'd rather have the very simple and clear direction from LE and leave the emotion out of it.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

ParaC7 wrote:So I have a reverse mounted hitch on my truck. Meaning a receiver mounted to the front end. It's great for my bike rack and hitch rack etc. Well I had my hitch rack in the receiver, but nothing on it. I pulled into a parking space at Walmart, and forgot that it was there. The resulting crunch of the rack on the car in front of me attracted the attention of the Westerville officer who happened to be in the next row over. I got out to assess the damage and get the information from the vehicle that I hit. As I was looking at the damage he pulled up. I notified of my carry status, and he was like "ok where is it?" holstered at my 3 o'clock. He said ok just make sure it stays there. And proceeded with handling the accident. While I was explaining what happened the owner of the car showed up, and we notified him of the bump. Even with the resounding "crunch" that emitted from the bumper was actually just the license plate rung, which had a little scratch. Owner of the car said no worries. And let it go. So I got lucky with that. And the added plus was that there was no issue from the Officer about CCW.
Been in and out of Westerville a great for the past two years, lived there for the last six weeks. Dealt with the Westerville PD on a public records request on a homicide. A class act.
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

I've had a few occasions to notify. One said "ok, just don't touch it" or something very close to that. No biggee but the one I think was most appropriate was "ok that's not a problem at all and thanks for following the law".
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Sevens wrote:Consider the average gun store customer who is new to carrying and shops for holsters and the FAR too common and obvious bad situation that customer puts everyone in to... Seems to me that a short, concise instruction is a fine idea for LE to deliver.
The two scenarios are not even close. Handling of guns is what people do in a gun store....while anyone with an IQ above 100 knows good and well that a traffic stop or any other LEO encounter is NOT the time to go fondling your weapon.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Not so far off as you think. An officer asks someone where they are carrying and a neophyte almost naturally moves his hands toward his holstered weapon, a very nervous situation for all involved. Neophyte walks in to gun store and asks about holsters for his new carry gun and also reaches toward that pistol. Probably happens daily in the gun store and far too often in LE stops.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I have zero problem with LEO giving me legal instructions.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
wobblygoblin

Post by wobblygoblin »

I live in Westerville and have great interactions while carrying. In fact, this past Friday an officer knocked on my door and I opened and he began to ask me a question. I stopped him and notified and that I was armed, my trusty Glock 19, and he couldn't have cared less. He went on to ask if I had a son named Kevin but he thought he'd gotten the wrong address to which I said nope, no son and that he was right about the wrong address.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

glocksmith wrote:I see that phrase a lot "just make sure it stays there" or "don't touch it, and everything will be fine". IDK, maybe it's just me, but I think saying that is unnecessary...and insulting to a LAC/CHL holders intelligence.
I think the same way depending on the officers tone of voice. I think "some" leo's , (not all), unfortunately, develope an attitude of sorts in regards to the public. I've had to notify a few times and I've never had any officer talk down to me in regards to carrying, (in a traffic stop situation that is). I've had two run'ins
with law enforcement that "didn't" go so well, but those were'nt traffic stops.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
ParaC7

Post by ParaC7 »

He was totally cool, I think it was said more in jest than anything else. He was really laid back.
Gun Control means using both hands and hitting your target.

You want my guns Hillary???? SURE you can have them..................Bullets First!!!

Charlton Heston always was and always will be MY President!!!!
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

wobblygoblin wrote:I live in Westerville and have great interactions while carrying. In fact, this past Friday an officer knocked on my door and I opened and he began to ask me a question. I stopped him and notified and that I was armed, my trusty Glock 19, and he couldn't have cared less. He went on to ask if I had a son named Kevin but he thought he'd gotten the wrong address to which I said nope, no son and that he was right about the wrong address.

I am sure I would not have felt obligated to notify in this situation. Not necessary.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
docachna

Post by docachna »

gfrlaser wrote:
wobblygoblin wrote:I live in Westerville and have great interactions while carrying. In fact, this past Friday an officer knocked on my door and I opened and he began to ask me a question. I stopped him and notified and that I was armed, my trusty Glock 19, and he couldn't have cared less. He went on to ask if I had a son named Kevin but he thought he'd gotten the wrong address to which I said nope, no son and that he was right about the wrong address.

I am sure I would not have felt obligated to notify in this situation. Not necessary.
If a uniformed cop comes to MY door, I'm pretty sure I'm going to assume it's for a "law enforcement purpose".
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

docachna wrote:
gfrlaser wrote:

If a uniformed cop comes to MY door, I'm pretty sure I'm going to assume it's for a "law enforcement purpose".
I would assume so also. However I don't believe I need a CHL to CC in my own home, thus no requirement to notify.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member