Lake Erie Coast Guard Encounter

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Lake Erie Coast Guard Encounter

Post by Brian D. »

Your questions for the officer in that hypothetical are well founded. I have seen two younger LEOs in the last few years who, as it developed, had no idea how to swing out the cylinders on S&W double action revolvers. This wasn't confidence inspiring.

Similar observation with regards to not understanding the manual safety manipulation required to pull back the slide and get the round out of the chamber of a 1911/Browning Hi Power.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

It's been forever, but a discussion of this on one of the LEO boards here on the web produced something like this:

"

OK, I gotta "safe" this thing. That looks like the decocker lever. Hey, the hammer didn't drop? Maybe I gotta pull the trigger?

BANG!

"

I actually did run into a kid from a nearby department who'd never seen a 1911. He was appreciative when we showed him how to do that safely. (Not a "stop" - just a "meeting" sort of thing as some of us were leaving the range. It's out in the middle of nowhere, and the Officer had decided to see why there were cars in the lot at 0100.)

We offered to unlock the range and let him shoot one, but he was afraid his Sergeant would object :D.... (Suggestions to invite the Sergeant over weren't well received. No problem there - I had a buddy on YPD who liked to hide in my car when the Captain was out on the road.)

Anyway, the OP handled it well. IMHO, taking the gun from a licensee is nonsense, but some of the Officers don't realize it. By way of "notification", they know we're carrying. No surprises.... "Sit over there and keep your hands visible" should be more than sufficient.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

If I were in the OP place and had some criminal activity going on I wouldn't wait for The CG to board the boat....to use my gun..I would of started shooting before hand....Why doesn't LE realize that ?

Taking our guns has no purpose when it envolves LAC...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Silly. Removing from its holster a loaded firearm from a CHL holder on a boat that's rocking, dipping and slipping is a smooth safety move... "Officer safety" kinda goes out the window...

Side thought...

What is the rule for firing a gun 5 miles out on Lake Erie?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Face

Post by Face »

5 miles out, you MIGHT be in Canada :)

gaptrick wrote:Silly. Removing from its holster a loaded firearm from a CHL holder on a boat that's rocking, dipping and slipping is a smooth safety move... "Officer safety" kinda goes out the window...

Side thought...

Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

gaptrick wrote:What is the rule for firing a gun 5 miles out on Lake Erie?
First of all it's expressly illegal to discharge a firearm from a vessel under ORC 1547.69. That said you might also run into trouble with the local authorities depending on what city you are "in", if you are in any at all. ORC 1901.023 specifically gives the municipal courts along the southern shores of Lake Erie, e.g. Toledo, Rocky River, and Cleveland jurisdiction all the way up to the international border.

Now whether the jurisdiction of the cities themselves run all the way up to the border I don't know, but I do know that cities like Rocky River pay a pretty penny to maintain and operate a police boat. If their municipal jurisdiction ended at the water's edge why would they do that?
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

gaptrick wrote:Silly. Removing from its holster a loaded firearm from a CHL holder on a boat that's rocking, dipping and slipping is a smooth safety move... "Officer safety" kinda goes out the window...

Side thought...

The real question could it be heard on shore i don't think so.
Black Rifles Matter
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Face wrote:5 miles out, you MIGHT be in Canada :)

Side thought...

Fire towards Canada, tell them we are declaring war!
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

I don't know if a gunshot would be heard 5 miles away..I do think it's possible considering sound travels pretty far across water....Good one TJ :lol:
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Speaking of guarding the US from invasion from the north.
A former student and friend of mine while I was teaching in the Navy was transferred to and served on a PT cruiser stationed on Lake Michigan.
I guess just in case Canada decided to attack.

As an aside, that ship was FAST! The watch stations on the bridge all had seats with seat belts.
The main engine was a GE turbine (C5A jet engine????) and no one was allowed in the engine room while it was running just due to the noise levels.
It could damn near out run it's own torpedoes.

I can't remember its designation. I know it was larger than a PTF and that it had hydrofoils that would lift it nearly out of the water at high speed.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
mreising

Post by mreising »

djthomas wrote:
Now whether the jurisdiction of the cities themselves run all the way up to the border I don't know, but I do know that cities like Rocky River pay a pretty penny to maintain and operate a police boat. If their municipal jurisdiction ended at the water's edge why would they do that?
Because it's just fun to run around in the boat?
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

mreising wrote:Because it's just fun to run around in the boat?
Well, yes, but if Rocky River's roads weren't in horrible condition and the elected officials weren't crying about raising taxes I might understand.
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

AlanM wrote:Speaking of guarding the US from invasion from the north.
A former student and friend of mine while I was teaching in the Navy was transferred to and served on a PT cruiser stationed on Lake Michigan.

As an aside, that ship was FAST! The watch stations on the bridge all had seats with seat belts.
The main engine was a GE turbine (C5A jet engine????) and no one was allowed in the engine room while it was running just due to the noise levels.

I can't remember its designation. I know it was larger than a PTF and that it had hydrofoils that would lift it nearly out of the water at high speed.
Didn't Johnny Quest have one of those? Love those!
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

AlanM wrote:Speaking of guarding the US from invasion from the north.

I wouldn't want to be on a lake in a PT Cruiser, you'd soon find yourself on the bottom of the lake! :P :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I'm pretty sure this is what he was on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus-class_hydrofoil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cJKwJHR03U

Note that the GE gas turbine engine delivered 18,000 shaft horsepower to a 241 ton ship. The Polaris boat I was on (Nuc powered) had a power plant that delivered 15,000 shaft horsepower to an 8,250 ton submarine.
http://fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/slbm/ssbn-640.htm
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.