Spotted my first person carrying...and he was drinking

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

wobblygoblin

Spotted my first person carrying...and he was drinking

Post by wobblygoblin »

So I have never spotted a fellow concealed carrier (concealed means concealed) until this past week. I went to a local pub to watch the Cavs game. Since I was going to have a beer or two I left the noise maker at home. Anyway, there were a group of girls and guys at a table.

One gentleman was fairly large, beard, hat on backward, bouncer type. He is sitting about 20 feet away with his back to me (there was a hot looking brunette in a Cavs jersey sitting across the table from him) and I noticed a familiar looking clip on his belt...then what appeared to be a holster with the butt of a handgun, looked like a Glock, sticking up. His shirt had ridden up just enough to reveal the gun then he pulled it down.

He had been drinking at least one beer. He and his group left. I figured it was not my place to cause problems.

Would any of you had done anything differently?
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
techguy85

Re: Spotted my first person carrying...and he was drinking

Post by techguy85 »

I might have quietly taken him aside to let him know that he was breaking the law just in case he wasn't aware but that all depends on how he acted; if he got at all defensive or whatnot I would have just said hey just letting you know, it doesn't really make a difference to me.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Nope! His problem not ours.
I figured it was not my place to cause problems.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
wobblygoblin

Post by wobblygoblin »

techguy85 wrote:I might have quietly taken him aside to let him know that he was breaking the law just in case he wasn't aware but that all depends on how he acted; if he got at all defensive or whatnot I would have just said hey just letting you know, it doesn't really make a difference to me.

I thought about it but I'm 6'1", 220, he was bigger and didn't look like the most friendly gentleman.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Yeah, tough situation. And pretty much it is his problem and not ours...

Except that he does represent Ohio CHL'ers.

This is not a law that I care for. I go to PA once a year minimum, often more, and I absolutely order a beer when I'm out mostly because it feels like a thumb in the eye to a dumb law and a nice frosty nod to freedom. And it's a bit funny to me because I otherwise probably wouldn't order a beer when out even if not carrying.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
SMR

Post by SMR »

It's possible he was not a CCW permit holder and just a criminal.

Maybe it was a good thing you said nothing.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Could have been a police officer, couldn't it? They aren't bound by our restrictions.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

So, no one would have reported a possible crime to the police?

I keep the non-emergency number to several police departments in my phone.

They would have gotten a call from me, I'm sure.

With any luck, the gentleman would have been one of our esteemed members of the Ohio General Assembly and the embarrassment of being stopped by law enforcement would have encouraged him to push a repeal of our zero-tolerance policy on drinking while concealing.
MyWifeSaidYes
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I'm with you Dave on this one...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:So, no one would have reported a possible crime to the police?

With any luck, the gentleman would have been one of our esteemed members of the Ohio General Assembly and the embarrassment of being stopped by law enforcement would have encouraged him to push a repeal of our zero-tolerance policy on drinking while concealing.
Do you report everyone you see that speeds?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Simply not my problem.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:So, no one would have reported a possible crime to the police?

Considering that it is an F4 and it could have just been someone in town from out of state unaware of our law on that topic, I probably wouldn't call the cops unless said person was acting super drunk such that i thought they could be a danger. Seems kind of pmessed up to get someone jammed up with a felony when it is entirely possible they have no idea they are breaking the law.
But to each their own.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

First thing that crossed my mind was a licensed visitor from another state. If the guy was minding his manners I'd mind my own business.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

So, we are all agreed that one should simply carry concealed into a business that has legally posted a "No Guns" sign?

Okay. Got it.

Concealed means concealed.

What THEY don't know won't hurt YOU.

It's my Second Amendment right.

It's a dumb law and we should be allowed to carry anywhere.

What's that? That's a COMPLETELY different topic?

Okay. Got it.
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Nice sophistry Dave, it almost takes the place of a valid point.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.