Spotted my first person carrying...and he was drinking

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Imcrazy

Re: Spotted my first person carrying...and he was drinking

Post by Imcrazy »

SMR wrote:Just curious, are you allowed to CC and drink with a unloaded gun and no accessible ammo?
Maybe he didn't want to leave gun in vehicle.
SMR
I do not believe that it matters whether the gun is loaded or not.
-Aaron
Greg the baker

Post by Greg the baker »

Werz wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Brian D. wrote:... If the guy was minding his manners I'd mind my own business.
Because ALL violent incidents are immediately preceded by lack of manners?

The "point" I want to make is that the OP was a witness to a felony and chose to do nothing because it wasn't his place "to cause problems".

THE FELONY IS THE PROBLEM !!

That's the point.

It sucks that the law is written that way. It really does. But we chastise people on this forum all the time about needing to follow the laws, even bad ones.

But if no one is willing to stand up and point out a violation of those laws, what good are you really doing?
I agree. It is what it is. Would I have reported it? I don't know. But I would not fault anyone who did.
This is my stance as well. I may or may not have reported it, but would not fault anyone who would have. Like others have mentioned though I would not have engaged him in any way putting myself at risk, knowing that:
- he's armed and I'm not
- even if I were armed (if he's got a good enough lawyer) my actions could be construed as being a confrontational act/escalating the situation
- I've got no idea how much he's had to drink
- I've never met him so I've got no idea how quick to anger he may be

I think only way I think I would clue him in would be to write out on a napkin that his actions constitute a felony by Ohio law. I would fold it and hand it to the waitress on my way out the door and ask her to deliver it to him.
Greg the baker

Post by Greg the baker »

carmen fovozzo wrote:... you can't pick the laws you like and disregard the ones you don't...do I agree with that law ? Absolutely until it changes..
Carmen, I agree that you can't pick and choose which laws you feel like following. The fact that this -or any other law- exists DOES NOT mean that I will agree with the law, but merely abide by it.
BobK

Post by BobK »

SMR wrote:Just curious, are you allowed to CC and drink with a unloaded gun and no accessible ammo?
Maybe he didn't want to leave gun in vehicle.
SMR
RC 2923.121 Possession of firearm in beer liquor permit premises - prohibition, exceptions simply says "firearm": "No person shall possess a firearm in any room . . . ".

We also see the word "firearm" used in RC 2923.15 Using weapons while intoxicated: " No person, while under the influence of alcohol or any drug of abuse, shall carry or use any firearm or dangerous ordnance."

Note neither statute qualifies loaded or unloaded, it is simply the word "firearm".

"Firearm" is defined in RC 2923.11 Weapons control definitions as:
RC 2923.11(B)(1) "Firearm" means any deadly weapon capable of expelling or propelling one or more projectiles by the action of an explosive or combustible propellant. "Firearm" includes an unloaded firearm, and any firearm that is inoperable but that can readily be rendered operable.
Also note there are other statutes in the Ohio code that explicitly specify "loaded handgun" and the definition of "unloaded", so if the Legislature meant the above statutes to apply only to loaded firearms they could and would have explicitly stated "loaded".
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?