Dog attack

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Fiveshot

Dog attack

Post by Fiveshot »

I have always felt safe in my neighborhood, and for sure on my own property until yesterday. While returning from my mail box, was attacked by the neighbors pit bull mix. I was able to ward off actually being bitten by yelling and not running away, I stood my ground, and got the attention of the owner, but it sure scared the crap out of me. I usually don't carry going to the mail box, but that will change now, can't be too careful anymore. I looked up ORC955.28 that refers to this matter of killing a dog on he attack. It might be a tough decision to fire and go through the legal trouble, but being bitten by such a animal could be deadly.
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Dog attack

Post by SeanC »

Get bit and sue. You'll enjoy it more than shooting and dealing what whatever aftermath will inevitably follow.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

SeanC wrote:Get bit and sue. You'll enjoy it more than shooting and dealing what whatever aftermath will inevitably follow.
How much money do you have to get in a suit to "enjoy" losing the use of an arm or leg?
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Face

Post by Face »

I find it amusing that the proposed new dangerous dog law - the one that actually has some (wait for it_ TEETH in it is sponsored buy someone named Beagle. And will always be called the Beagle Bill.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Beagles are great. But as my wife can attest, don't get between one making a dive for food just dropped by a toddler. Not that you'll be intentionally bit mind you, but when the open mouth of the dog and the hand of the human converge on the same piece of hamburger at precisely the same instant things are bound to get interesting.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Ask the county dog warden to declare the dog a "nuisance dog".
(a) Subject to division (A)(3)(b) of this section, "nuisance dog" means a dog that without provocation and while off the premises of its owner, keeper, or harborer has chased or approached a person in either a menacing fashion or an apparent attitude of attack or has attempted to bite or otherwise endanger any person.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/955.11
A) The municipal court or county court that has territorial jurisdiction over the residence of the owner, keeper, or harborer of a dog shall conduct any hearing concerning the designation of the dog as a nuisance dog, dangerous dog, or vicious dog.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/955.222
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

SeanC wrote:Get bit and sue.
33% of dogs and cats contain a bacterium in their saliva that is very bad news. Google up some news stories with "dog saliva bacteria" and you will see where people have lost parts of their bodies because of this bacteria. One story I read, a guy in California lost his nose.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

SeanC wrote:Get bit and sue. You'll enjoy it more than shooting and dealing what whatever aftermath will inevitably follow.
Damn ambulance chaser. :lol:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Fiveshot wrote:... was attacked by the neighbors pit bull mix...
... was able to ward off actually being bitten ...
Not to pick nits, but if you weren't bitten, you were barked at.
MyWifeSaidYes
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Uh huh. So if a guy swings at you and misses, you weren't attacked you were waved at?
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Nothing like the bite getting your femoral artery and you bleed out before Tim can "Make them pay!!!"
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Loose and on my property and acting aggressive toward me or mine makes for one dead dog...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Thawmytongue

Post by Thawmytongue »

If a dog comes at me and I'm alone, I'm probably going to draw, but try and stand my ground and scare the dog off before applying deadly force. Being a service technician in the past I have dealt with hundreds of dogs in every size and type (in Baltimore you run into a lot of Pitbulls) and have never been bitten. I do count myself as lucky and try to not be complacent, but its based on my experience.

Now if a dog comes at me AND MY FAMILY, my only concern before applying deadly force will be what is beyond the threat and eliminating it. Once the dog is wrapped up with a kid or loved one, gun play will likely not be an option.
-Matt

"Carry often, apply sparingly."
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

CroManGun wrote:
Nothing like the bite getting your femoral artery and you bleed out before Tim can "Make them pay!!!"
My comment was in jest... although dog bite cases do pay pretty well, as far as minor personal injury suits go. Probably at least a few grand for a simple bite followed by an ER visit, upwards to high five or low six figures for significant tissue damage, disfigurement, or anything that requires reconstructive surgery. Plus you get some good drugs and time off work.

I don't think shooting at an aggressive dog should be a "go to" response. First of all, fast little guys down close to the ground are difficult to hit, and be extra careful if there's concrete. (See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22qbZ6Qccdw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.)

The aftermath will be minimal. Of course you can shoot a dog that is threatening you, but you will have an angry neighbor, most likely a police response, and (depending on whether you're in a "good" county for guns) possibly some trumped up criminal charge that won't actually stick. When my dog was young, we used to take him to the dog park every weekend. I always took a gun, but I also brought a small can of spray. The spray is a better approach, I think.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Loose and on my property and acting aggressive toward me or mine makes for one dead dog...

Roger Out..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens