Dog attack

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bama.45

Re: Dog attack

Post by Bama.45 »

Werz wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:But maybe I'm not qualified to assume that based on common sense as opposed to having a degree from law school...Maybe it's just good ol' boy common sense.
Too often, "good ol' boy common sense" seems to include playing tough-guy with others and their property. Doesn't always work out well.

You know nothing truly about southern culture do you besides what's on the tee vee, and I really don't think you'd understand it if I tried to explain... Seems like you've painted southern folks with a broad brush...oh, and I don't think one has to have good ol' boy common sense to play tough guy with others and their property...But, if you mean most good ol'boys don't take crap from other folks, then I would agree there.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yep. Sounds like the case Werz mentioned points to an idiot who was simply being cruel and had no control of his temper. Big difference between a dog that is approaching in a menacing fashion and a puppy that just wants to play.
CroManGun wrote:Appellant is a moron. He admitted that the puppy was in no way aggressive toward him. Absolutely no reason to shoot the dog.
Appellant managed to find another moron to submit an error-laden Assignments of Error; hope he got paid with a rubber check.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

WY_Not wrote:Yep. Sounds like the case Werz mentioned points to an idiot who was simply being cruel and had no control of his temper. Big difference between a dog that is approaching in a menacing fashion and a puppy that just wants to play.
The point is that it's not a "very low bar" as you stated. Saying that the dog jumped on you, and barked and growled, may not cut it when placed in front of a judge or jury. I would just prefer that dubious "advice" not be given to people who don't have the sense to tell reality from a tough-guy fantasy. If the dog presents a genuine danger, the dog should be shot. Other circumstances, regardless of how artfully they are described, may not apply.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Bama.45 wrote:
Werz wrote:"good ol' boy common sense".
You know nothing truly about southern culture do you besides what's on the tee vee, and I really don't think you'd understand it if I tried to explain...
I do not consider "good ol' boy" to be a synonym for southern, nor do I consider it to be a pejorative term.

I have know plenty of good ol' boys who were born and raised in Ohio. In fact, I am proud to name Chuck as my friend. :mrgreen:
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

You guys are going to go back & forth forever because you're quibbling over "bar height" while saying the same thing:
WY_Not wrote:Might want to check ORC 955.28 again. Any dog that is even approaching a human or livestock in an aggressive manner is a target. Very low bar. No need to be in fear of bodily harm. Simply approaching in an aggressive manner is sufficient.
Werz wrote:
... the court found that the dog was not approaching in an aggressive manner when Appellant killed it, thus the affirmative defense was not proven.
Meyers v. Sparrow, 2009-Ohio-945, at ¶43-49 (5th Dist.)
If it's genuinely approaching in an aggressive manner, you're allowed to shoot. Of course, 'genuinely' will be ultimately decided by someone else but it probably hurts to admit the dog wasn't being aggressive - as the defendant in this case apparently did.

As I've said before my recommendation is to shoot when you must, not because you think you're allowed to. Even if Mr. Sparrow had ultimately won on appeal, imagine how much he spent in time, money, and dealing with a (now) hostile neighbor. My 2c.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:As I've said before my recommendation is to shoot when you must, not because you think you're allowed to. Even if Mr. Sparrow had ultimately won on appeal, imagine how much he spent in time, money, and dealing with a (now) hostile neighbor. My 2c.
I wholeheartedly agree with that appraisal.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

BobK wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:
You know nothing truly about southern culture do you besides what's on the tee vee, and I really don't think you'd understand it if I tried to explain...
I do not consider "good ol' boy" to be a synonym for southern, nor do I consider it to be a pejorative term.

I have know plenty of good ol' boys who were born and raised in Ohio. In fact, I am proud to name Chuck as my friend. :mrgreen:

From the dictionary:
good old boy

Word Origin

noun, Informal.
a male who embodies the unsophisticated good fellowship and sometimes boisterous sociability regarded as typical of white males of small towns and rural areas of the South.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

In my own incident, the dog actively snapped at the little yappy one, my shepherd snapped back which gave him pause, I was sure he was coming for more and then I yelled at the owner standing off a few feet to get him or I would shoot. The owner then got the balls to grab his dog. Happily, everybody's pet went home. But if the owner did nothing I would have done what I HAD to.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BobK wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:

Bama.45 wrote:From the dictionary:
good old boy

Word Origin

noun, Informal.
a male who embodies the unsophisticated good fellowship and sometimes boisterous sociability regarded as typical of white males of small towns and rural areas of the South.
Well, since we're going "Wiki"...

Good ol' boy:
It is commonly applied to men with a family of generational wealth or prestige, or overall moral behavior.
The above hyperlink leads here:

Culture of honor (Southern United States):
Laboratory research has demonstrated that men in honor cultures perceive interpersonal threats more readily than do men in other cultures, including increases in cortisol and testosterone levels following insults. In culture-of-honor states, high school students were found to be more likely to bring a weapon to school in the past month and over a 20-year period, there were more than twice as many school shootings per capita.
Just sayin' ...
-- BobK
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

That one would get you in trouble. Dogs getting aggressive with each other or with cats isn't covered; only people and livestock.
catfish86 wrote:In my own incident, the dog actively snapped at the little yappy one, my shepherd snapped back which gave him pause, I was sure he was coming for more and then I yelled at the owner standing off a few feet to get him or I would shoot. The owner then got the balls to grab his dog. Happily, everybody's pet went home. But if the owner did nothing I would have done what I HAD to.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

WY_Not wrote:That one would get you in trouble. Dogs getting aggressive with each other or with cats isn't covered; only people and livestock.
catfish86 wrote:In my own incident, the dog actively snapped at the little yappy one, my shepherd snapped back which gave him pause, I was sure he was coming for more and then I yelled at the owner standing off a few feet to get him or I would shoot. The owner then got the balls to grab his dog. Happily, everybody's pet went home. But if the owner did nothing I would have done what I HAD to.

Or K-9's..They're a protected dog class...hmmm..I wonder if one could make the same argument for a service dog if they had one and had a legitimate need and it was attacked by another dog and they shot the attacking dog...
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Bama.45 wrote:
From the dictionary:
good old boy

Word Origin

noun, Informal.
You may not realize this, but a large portion of Ohio has ancestors who have come from the South. Many came to work in factories. In fact, it has been said that the capital of West Virginia is Akron, Ohio.

There's plenty of honest to goodness good ol' boys here in Ohio.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

The notion of "good old boys" doesn't play well with the elite; the same elite who thinks that good old boys ought to not have opinions of their own.
And if they are going to have their own opinions, they should keep them to themselves, and above all else, NEVER give advice
If a good old boy insists on not standing down and expressing his opinion, he can expect to be vilified by the elitist on every front, be it geography, family, education or for "harming the cause worse than the antis"
And if the good old boy tries to explain or defend himself, he is then causing infighting among ourselves

We're better than that.
Our tent is bigger than that
There should be more to a discussion on this forum than backwards insults,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Chuck wrote:The notion of "good old boys" doesn't play well with the elite; the same elite who thinks that good old boys ought to not have opinions of their own.
And if they are going to have their own opinions, they should keep them to themselves, and above all else, NEVER give advice
If a good old boy insists on not standing down and expressing his opinion, he can expect to be vilified by the elitist on every front, be it geography, family, education or for "harming the cause worse than the antis"
And if the good old boy tries to explain or defend himself, he is then causing infighting among ourselves

We're better than that.
Our tent is bigger than that
There should be more to a discussion on this forum than backwards insults,,,,

Good post Chuck, thank you

And I don't roll over for anyone, I speak my mind.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Mustang380gal wrote:
You may not realize this, but a large portion of Ohio has ancestors who have come from the South. Many came to work in factories. In fact, it has been said that the capital of West Virginia is Akron, Ohio.

There's plenty of honest to goodness good ol' boys here in Ohio.
Yup. Route 25 is still referred to by some as "Dixie highway". Sometimes just "the Dixie".
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member