Dog attack

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BEAR!

Re: Dog attack

Post by BEAR! »

Get ready to duck Rottman.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I would venture to say most on this board aren't going to kill a dog unless the situation warrents it....in their opinion......and yes it depends......again.....on the situation. I brought up one situation earlier in this thread were i would have "poss." shot the dog if the owner had not come running out and we couldn't get back in the truck. I've had other encounters with mean dogs but never felt threatened do to the size of the dog......."ankle biters" that you can kick hard enough and the issue is over!
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Thawmytongue wrote:If a dog comes at me and I'm alone, I'm probably going to draw, but try and stand my ground and scare the dog off before applying deadly force. Being a service technician in the past I have dealt with hundreds of dogs in every size and type (in Baltimore you run into a lot of Pitbulls) and have never been bitten. I do count myself as lucky and try to not be complacent, but its based on my experience.

Now if a dog comes at me AND MY FAMILY, my only concern before applying deadly force will be what is beyond the threat and eliminating it. Once the dog is wrapped up with a kid or loved one, gun play will likely not be an option.

THIS could be an issue to, if the dog is actually on top of someone else, then trying to shoot the dog may be out of the question and be more dangerous than the dog it's self.and then it becomes hand to hand , or "paw"(?) combat if you will, trying to physically stop the attack if you don't act soon enough before it gets to that point.

I used to hang an axe handle on the back of the bosses truck before I carried a gun, in case I got caught off guard........before I owned the business.......and I used it once and beat the snot out of that dog which had me up against the side of the truck and kept coming at me.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Go on the attack if the dog already has a grip on someone else. The dog is unlikely to let go until you are very close. When he turns his attention to you, shoot him.

If he is dedicated to his attack and does NOT release his victim, put your gun to the dog's ear and shoot across in a direction that won't hit the victim.

In the ear and towards the opposite eye will destroy a large portion of brain.

MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Even in person discussions on these topics, where inflection and tone are obvious, get turned sideways at times. When I mention switching to a 10mm handgun while in bear/mountain lion/wolf/wild boar areas, someone nearby to the conversation infers that I WANT to kill one of those animals, even if not in direct danger from it. I end up breaking it down to "Only if the damn thing is about to have me for lunch otherwise!" Plainer than that I cannot make it.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Go on the attack if the dog already has a grip on someone else. The dog is unlikely to let go until you are very close. When he turns his attention to you, shoot him.

If he is dedicated to his attack and does NOT release his victim, put your gun to the dog's ear and shoot across in a direction that won't hit the victim.

In the ear and towards the opposite eye will destroy a large portion of brain.

Couldn't the same advice be given regarding humans?
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

BEAR! wrote:

Let's not take that direction please.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Stryker74 wrote:
BEAR! wrote:

I will honor Stryker's request and simply answer, "No."

Remember, Google is an excellent resource for researching the internal makeup of mammalian skulls and brain shapes. :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Stryker74 wrote:
BEAR! wrote:

OK boss.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

HkSniper

Post by HkSniper »

I tend to -somewhat- agree with Rottman. Not fully, but somewhat. I see a whole lot of chest beating on many forums when it comes to dogs. You really need to be cautious, in my opinion, when shooting a dog in defense just like you would with a person. You need to make sure that threat is there and is a true threat. I would not hesitate a moment to defend myself from a dog attack by whatever means I need to keep myself from getting limbs gnawed off, believe me. But look at the police shootings involving dogs where even I, a strong supporter of law enforcement, question them pulling the trigger.

I understand what the law says when it comes to engaging a vicious dog, but for me, personally, I view it that way.

Cameras are abundant now, you will be posted up on the media, and people have a more open heart to dogs. I would, in -my opinion- on how I choose to carry, would rather be certain that it is a full fledged attack before pulling the trigger...and I encounter dogs quite a bit on my job.

This is my own opinion on how I choose to carry, and I'm not really trying to push people to see it my way. So, please, do not take it as such and start jumping on me over what I'm saying here... However, the anti's are watching. Just last week on 10TV's Facebook post on some cops shooting a dog, I saw a post from a well known anti-gunner on there that is referring to forums such as this and threads like this and how us as conceal carriers are "itching to shoot a dog"... remember, this is a public forum and the anti's are out there to paint us in a very negative light...and soft hearts to animals is some pretty powerful ammunition. No pun intended, of course.

Carry on and carry safe!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

HkSniper wrote:...You need to make sure that threat is there and is a true threat....

... I would, in -my opinion- on how I choose to carry, would rather be certain that it is a full fledged attack before pulling the trigger...

...This is my own opinion on how I choose to carry...

I am confused regarding your "how I choose to carry" comments. I'm not sure what you mean. Open carry vs. concealed...or something else?

As to being "certain that it is a full fledged attack", how do you do that?
MyWifeSaidYes
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
HkSniper wrote:...You need to make sure that threat is there and is a true threat....

... I would, in -my opinion- on how I choose to carry, would rather be certain that it is a full fledged attack before pulling the trigger...

...This is my own opinion on how I choose to carry...

I am confused regarding your "how I choose to carry" comments. I'm not sure what you mean. Open carry vs. concealed...or something else?

As to being "certain that it is a full fledged attack", how do you do that?
When the Dog has your butt in his mouth and starts to pull on it you can defend yourself. Don't you know anything ? If the dog is growling and showing his teeth, and his tail isn't waggling, shoot..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
HkSniper

Post by HkSniper »

Pretty much the pre-attack indicators as mentioned, but I had a feeling you would get defensive and try to spin it into an argument. Which I'm not going to bite. (No pun intended. ;) )

There are pre-attack indicators you can learn quite easily with dogs. But a good handful of people seem to make it clear that they feel they must shoot any dog making so much as a sniffle with in a 2 mile radius of them.

I posted to give an opinion, not engage in a debate. Sorry, I don't play that game. This is all I have further to say on the topic.
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

BobK wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:
Werz wrote:"good ol' boy common sense".
You know nothing truly about southern culture do you besides what's on the tee vee, and I really don't think you'd understand it if I tried to explain...
I do not consider "good ol' boy" to be a synonym for southern, nor do I consider it to be a pejorative term.

I have know plenty of good ol' boys who were born and raised in Ohio. In fact, I am proud to name Chuck as my friend. :mrgreen:
I think Bama is way out of line here. Werz's has been to useful for this forum for anyone to play the " law degree " card and there are as many good old boys in Ohio as Alabama with West Virginia and Tennesee blood flowing through there veins.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

HkSniper wrote:Pretty much the pre-attack indicators as mentioned, but I had a feeling you would get defensive and try to spin it into an argument. Which I'm not going to bite. (No pun intended. ;) )
Not trying to argue.

If there is no fence between you and a dog coming towards you, how much time do you have to determine if the dog is going to bite you or lick you?

HkSniper wrote:There are pre-attack indicators you can learn quite easily with dogs.
Not all dogs are alike.

HkSniper wrote:But a good handful of people seem to make it clear that they feel they must shoot any dog making so much as a sniffle with in a 2 mile radius of them.[
And those people are idiots.

HkSniper wrote:I posted to give an opinion, not engage in a debate. Sorry, I don't play that game. This is all I have further to say on the topic.
But you never clarified your "how I choose to carry" comments. :cry:
MyWifeSaidYes