Dog attack

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

GatorNavy

Re: Dog attack

Post by GatorNavy »

WeinerDog wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:
Werz wrote:"good ol' boy common sense".
You know nothing truly about southern culture do you besides what's on the tee vee, and I really don't think you'd understand it if I tried to explain...
I do not consider "good ol' boy" to be a synonym for southern, nor do I consider it to be a pejorative term.

I think Bama is way out of line here. Werz's has been to useful for this forum for anyone to play the " law degree " card and there are as many good old boys in Ohio as Alabama with West Virginia and Tennesee blood flowing through there veins.
I had a big post typed up to explain some differences but I just deleted it all as it was long and detailed but the "Good Ole Boy" network/lifestyle doesn't have any geographical boundaries and I didn't see Werz mention any location and I believe Bama.45 jumped to a conclusion which is no big deal to me in this context too. I do also believe Werz, being a lawyer has pretty thick skin and Werz is very valuable to this site and to society

Believe me, I know all about the good ole boys from both northern and southern sides of the Mason-Dixon line and I am right in the middle of good ole boy country
Some people need to realize that city living and country living can be and usually is two worlds apart and even the LEO,courts and definitely juries look at things entirely different
Come and get'em
ArmedPatriots

Post by ArmedPatriots »

Fiveshot wrote:I have always felt safe in my neighborhood, and for sure on my own property until yesterday. While returning from my mail box, was attacked by the neighbors pit bull mix. I was able to ward off actually being bitten by yelling and not running away, I stood my ground, and got the attention of the owner, but it sure scared the crap out of me. I usually don't carry going to the mail box, but that will change now, can't be too careful anymore. I looked up ORC955.28 that refers to this matter of killing a dog on he attack. It might be a tough decision to fire and go through the legal trouble, but being bitten by such a animal could be deadly.
I was nearly attacked by a pit 3 years ago just checking my mail.
They got a 3 day eviction notice when I turned the owner in.
Isnt it ironic that the anti gun agenda response to defenseless people being murdered is to try to make them even more defenseless...
Sasquatch.45

Post by Sasquatch.45 »

SeanC wrote:
The aftermath will be minimal. Of course you can shoot a dog that is threatening you, but you will have an angry neighbor, most likely a police response, and (depending on whether you're in a "good" county for guns) possibly some trumped up criminal charge that won't actually stick.
Replace 'police' with 'Rabid Humane Officer' and you have it exactly right.
The Trumped up charge will be 'animal cruality'...

And if you are really lucky you will get the pleasure of seeing karma in action a few years later when she gets indicted for having a barn with several dozen unlicenced, starving, diseased,( dead and dieing ) dogs cannibalizing each other, after she 'rescues' them from their abusive owners.....

I have been accused of being a animal hater, and slandered with outrageous rumors because of my willingness to shoot an aggressive dog.
I think that is a little bit ironic. I am the happy owner of a beloved Shepard/ Husky mix (rescue dog) that was nearly euthanized for being"un-adoptable".
It would break my heart if someone killed her.
For that reason, I do not let her 'run at large'. I recognize that, as much as I love her, she IS a territorial animal.
Whenever she is allowed outside, she is either;
-In a fenced lawn,
-On a leash,
-In my immediate vicinity, on private property.

The way I see it, if someone really loves their dog, they don't leave them just run wild.
I have seen dogs killed on roads, RR tracks, mangled in combines, maimed by cycle- bars, and horrifically injured by farm Equiptment and grain handling equipment.
I've seen a dog get its face seriously tore up by a cornered woodchuck, attacked by coyotes, and, yes, even other dogs.
As a 'cruel animal hater', I discipline my dog, keep her shots and medical care current, and deny her freedom by forcing her to sleep on a denim bean- bag at the foot of my bed. I abuse her by occasionally giving her ice cream and other unhealthy treats, causing her to be almost four pounds overweight.

I recognize that she is hyper-territorial, especially with respect to other dogs. I do not allow her opportunity to get into conflicts with the neighbors or, especially their dogs, because I recognize that they would have a legitimate right to defend themselves.

It is all to easy for a person to forget that the same animal that is so loving and affectionate to their families, are only instinctively showing loyalty to their 'pack', and that is no reason to assume that they will behave the same with outsiders.

The truth is, dogs have personalities, and, depending on the combination of its training, life experience, treatment, and bread,
can be a happy "I love everybody" goliath, rough but playfully, sedate, or occasionally, just plain mean. It's size has NOTHING to do with it.
If my Sasha decides that she doesn't like another dog, I don't care how much bigger it is...she is ready to climb the fence if she could... And I have been a complete failure at every attempt to untrain it.
Usually she is accepting of people who she sees us invite into our home, but we know enough to watch her close for the first time with new people, occasionally she has to be TOLD that people are OK.... I wish I could get that to work with other dogs...

Please forgive the long rant.

It really sucks when you have to kill a dog, you know that there is a good chance that its someone's beloved pet, but you have to look at it as you would an attack by an armed person. You don't want to do it... But if there is a legitimate threat to the life or welfare of yourself or a loved one, you have the right to an armed response as is appropriate to mitigate the threat.
The major difference is, that with a dog, you are more likely to have to use it.
With a human adversary, there is a good chance at least that they will recognize your defensive capabilities, and rethink their aggression.
A dog, sadly, does not have the benefit of this understanding... You loose the benefit of deterrence... Your only option is force.

Its sad, but you have to remember also...if a dog is in a position to be a threat to you on your property, or on a public right of way...it is the fault of the OWNER... It is their responsibility to restrain / control their dog....
No law of prohibition ever prevented a crime of violence, They simply provide a framework for punishment for those who fail to commit suicide after going postal.

The devil never made me do anything…However, he did have a couple of really cool ideals…
TS04

Post by TS04 »

Fiveshot wrote:I have always felt safe in my neighborhood, and for sure on my own property until yesterday. While returning from my mail box, was attacked by the neighbors pit bull mix. I was able to ward off actually being bitten by yelling and not running away, I stood my ground, and got the attention of the owner, but it sure scared the crap out of me. I usually don't carry going to the mail box, but that will change now, can't be too careful anymore. I looked up ORC955.28 that refers to this matter of killing a dog on he attack. It might be a tough decision to fire and go through the legal trouble, but being bitten by such a animal could be deadly.
There isn't any legal trouble. There's just the hassle of a delay in your day as you wait for police, then retell the story 3x, and wonder about things escalating with the neighbor. If you do shoot the dog, immediately call 911. IMO, keep it brief, like "I was just attacked by the neighbors dog. I had to kill the dog." Just then give the basic info like name and address, and say you have to get off the line. Your call must beat your neighbors 911 call where he reports a stranger shooting wildly in every direction for no reason.
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

Here's the problem with most vicious dog laws, I've been bitten 3 times by dogs and the biggest one was a Beagle...
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...