Stopped by Texas Highway patrol all good

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Stopped by Texas Highway patrol all good

Post by Pops Fun »

Have been fishing in Texas for the last 2 weeks, last night started home. Stopped for speeding just before crossing Toledo Bend lake into Louisiana.
Officer approached on passenger side and I informed as quick as possible. His response. "Thanks for informing me". :D
None issue even though I was from Ohio. Carrying on my Utah license... Didn't ask anything...

Anyway home today. :D

Steve
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Stopped by Texas Highway patrol all good

Post by Javelin Man »

Isn't going through Toledo to get from Texas to Louisiana the long way? No wonder you had to speed!

Pops Fun wrote:Have been fishing in Texas for the last 2 weeks, last night started home. Stopped for speeding just before crossing Toledo Bend lake into Louisiana.
Officer approached on passenger side and I informed as quick as possible. His response. "Thanks for informing me". :D
None issue even though I was from Ohio. Carrying on my Utah license... Didn't ask anything...

Anyway home today. :D

Steve
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
BobK

Post by BobK »

Glad it went well.

Word on the street down here is if the stop had been in Louisiana instead of Texas, it had a good probability of becoming "more interesting". For example, did you have a sales receipt for your firearm when you were traveling? I've heard of handguns being confiscated from Texans by Louisiana po-po if they could not provide proof of ownership right there on the roadside. :roll: It is unclear to me if a nice custom 1911 has a greater chance of being confiscated that a piece of garbage handgun. It also is unclear to me if any record of such handgun confiscation ever makes it back to the police station or if it simply ends up in the po-po's home. :roll: :roll: (Note for the record, in general principle I do not use derogatory nicknames for a law enforcement officer, but when this type of misbehavior occurs I figure they earned it.)

As info, there is no need to have any form of license to carry any loaded firearm (handgun or long gun) in your car in Texas.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

Did he write you up?
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

gfrlaser wrote:Did he write you up?
Actually gave me a warning... :) Talked about having 946 miles to go...May have felt sorry for us :)
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
docachna

Post by docachna »

BobK wrote:Glad it went well.

I've heard of handguns being confiscated from Texans by Louisiana po-po if they could not provide proof of ownership right there on the roadside. .
Is that supposedly a local or state-level phenomenon ??
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

docachna wrote:
BobK wrote:Glad it went well.

I've heard of handguns being confiscated from Texans by Louisiana po-po if they could not provide proof of ownership right there on the roadside. .
Is that supposedly a local or state-level phenomenon ??
I have heard such (second and third hand) accounts a few times. The jist was that these unlawful confiscations were at the hands of individual members of a few local PD's. Louisiana's reputation for law enforcement practices at several levels has been none too flattering for many years. I doubt it's all just sour grapes.

But then again I went to an estate auction in west central Ohio one time, because it featured several hundred guns for sale. The back story was that the owner had been a town constable somewhere in that area several years previous, and most all those firearms had been seized improperly by the man. Further snooping on my part yielded a couple of other oft-repeated details:

1) People had long been aware of this practice but until the politicians who kept appointing this guy constable were voted out or died, no one was willing to look into the matter.

2) The BATFE had visited the auctioneer a day or so before the sale and confiscated a bunch of Class III stuff. They take the fun out of everything, but sounds as though they were actually doing their job properly for a change.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
budman70

Post by budman70 »

Think a lot of these stories that are spread around are just that stories. My buddy got popped in Maryland passing thru and nothing happened. He got have a nice day and was on his way.
Chu Lai 67-68